And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on August 20, 2012, 12:23:49 PM
Who's brought that message out in BC?

There have been a number of knowledgable people interviewed by the media (constitutional professor types mainly) who have noted the same thing. 

QuoteSo why aren't they? Is it as simple as they think there's more votes in getting in the way of "big oil"?

My suspicion is that the Libs have made a judgment that this is the best stance on the issue to get re-elected.  They need some issue to get them back up on the polls.  The election is only a year away.  The have obviously think that setting themselves up as the defender of BC against the bad apples in Alberta will help.  That is what I mean by pandering.

It might be boring for the electorate to hear that this is a Federal matter and that BC is talking with the Feds and the company to obtain the necessary safeguards to limit potential spills/leaks and the funds to assist if and when they occur.

But imo that is good public policy which I am afraid gets lost in the politics of the day.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 27, 2012, 07:00:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2012, 06:19:20 PM
We spent the week bickering but in the end realized there isnt all that much to disagree about?

In the end, yeah. This bill's not going to pass, we all know it, so it's not really worth the fight.  :lol:

And it turns out we were all correct that this abortion issue would die once it came to a vote :)

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2012, 05:45:46 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 27, 2012, 07:00:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2012, 06:19:20 PM
We spent the week bickering but in the end realized there isnt all that much to disagree about?

In the end, yeah. This bill's not going to pass, we all know it, so it's not really worth the fight.  :lol:

And it turns out we were all correct that this abortion issue would die once it came to a vote :)

:cheers:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Richard Wagner is to be the new SC judge.

Any thoughts?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on October 02, 2012, 10:19:37 AM

Any thoughts?

My experience with justices outside of Alberta are of course extremely limited, and inside Quebec doubly so.  He's a blank slate to me.  The Quebecois mafia have any opinion?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Any thoughts?

What's a decomposing opera composer doing as a SC Judge? In mean, Ride of the Valkyries was cool and all ...   :P

Or more seriously - don't know anything about him. He wasn't an appellate judge for long - only since 2011. He was appointed as a judge in 2004. His relatively short appellate experience may be a drawback.

He satisfies the Quebec appointee requirement, but by his name it seems he has an Anglo family background - which may be a problem.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on October 02, 2012, 10:37:43 AM

Any thoughts?

What's a decomposing opera composer doing as a SC Judge? In mean, Ride of the Valkyries was cool and all ...   :P

Or more seriously - don't know anything about him. He wasn't an appellate judge for long - only since 2011. He was appointed as a judge in 2004. His relatively short appellate experience may be a drawback.

He satisfies the Quebec appointee requirement, but by his name it seems he has an Anglo family background - which may be a problem.

He's Claude Wagner's son, he's no Anglo.

The Quebecois mafia needs to be pleased.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2012, 10:28:39 AM

Any thoughts?

My experience with justices outside of Alberta are of course extremely limited, and inside Quebec doubly so.  He's a blank slate to me.  The Quebecois mafia have any opinion?
I have met a justice only twice in my life.  One, I do not blame for the verdict.  I blame the stupid city attorney who refused to negotiate, the judge simply convicted me of a lesser infraction.  the other, I want to burn in hell before I again need to sit in a room with that moron.  Jesus Christ he's slow.  If most of the justices are like him, it's no wonder it takes forever to handle court cases.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 02, 2012, 10:37:43 AM
even if he was an anglo, it wouldn't be a problem if he was bilingual.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on October 02, 2012, 11:53:23 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2012, 10:28:39 AM

Any thoughts?

I have met a justice only twice in my life.  One, I do not blame for the verdict.  I blame the stupid city attorney who refused to negotiate, the judge simply convicted me of a lesser infraction.  the other, I want to burn in hell before I again need to sit in a room with that moron.  Jesus Christ he's slow.  If most of the justices are like him, it's no wonder it takes forever to handle court cases.

I'm willing to bet that neither were justices (which indicates Supreme Court), but rather were likely magistrates, JPs, or provincial court judges.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

the decomposing composers, there's less left of them every day.

[obscure python skit]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjWPXybVjYE
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2012, 11:59:39 AM
I'm willing to bet that neither were justices (which indicates Supreme Court), but rather were likely magistrates, JPs, or provincial court judges.
Ah, well, one was a magistrate (city court), the other one Superior court, acted as mediator.  I had the misfortune of having him again at a trial related to the same case, but only my lawyer dealt with him.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Let's talk on the gun registry.  I can't find much info on this, so I require help from our lawyer friends.

Quebec got the Feds to stop destroying data, so that, eventually, it could create it's own gun registry.  Ok, I get it.  I don't agree, but I understand the reasoning behind the judge's ruling.

But Ontario asked for the same, yet it was rejected and the data are now destroyed.

I totally understand why a ruling in a Quebec court will not apply to Ontario, despite it being about Federal law, but what I don't understand is how two similar cases get opposite verdicts?

Neil

Code civile maybe?  Most Quebec nonsense is firewalled off from the rest of the country.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.