News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I rather doubt it.  For one thing, the Economist is a part of the media, and thus it is seen as the enemy.  Also, I have grave doubts as to the ability of any political party to do anything useful or helpful for Canada.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on July 07, 2012, 01:51:26 PM
I rather doubt it.  For one thing, the Economist is a part of the media, and thus it is seen as the enemy.  Also, I have grave doubts as to the ability of any political party to do anything useful or helpful for Canada.

The Canadians Of Languish Party.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on July 07, 2012, 03:33:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 07, 2012, 01:51:26 PM
The Canadians Of Languish Party.
Vote Neilist.  What's the worst that could happen?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

I'd vote for you. You'd be a lot of fun at press conferences. :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Activision closed down Radical - one of the oldest console studios in Vancouver. Someone who got laid off (I think), is trying to rally disaffected games industry people to some political office or other, or perhaps simply as a spokesman for the apparently sorely misunderstood by politicians game industry in Vancouver. So far, his platform seems to be that he should be put in this position to make things better and address misunderstanding, without any concrete suggestions how he would do that or what the misunderstandings are.

I remain: skeptical.

Neil

Well, that's one way to try and get a job after a studio closure.  Still, that's the way the gaming industry is these days.  If a studio gets bought out by EA or Activision then you're probably no more than ten years from checking the want ads, unless you've got something special.  And Radical, as old as they were, had only the unmemorable Prototype games and a bunch of licenced shit.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on July 08, 2012, 01:18:50 AM
Someone who got laid off (I think), is trying to rally disaffected games industry people to some political office or other, or perhaps simply as a spokesman for the apparently sorely misunderstood by politicians game industry in Vancouver.
they should move to Quebec.  Twice the taxes, but we do understand the gaming industry :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on July 09, 2012, 09:34:10 AM
Someone who got laid off (I think), is trying to rally disaffected games industry people to some political office or other, or perhaps simply as a spokesman for the apparently sorely misunderstood by politicians game industry in Vancouver.
they should move to Quebec.  Twice the taxes, but we do understand the gaming industry :)

Twice the taxes but also twice the funding!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 09, 2012, 09:35:50 AM

Twice the taxes but also twice the funding!

That's why taxes=good. :)

Neil

No talent though.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on July 09, 2012, 10:41:05 AM
No talent though.

That doesn't matter. Every talent in the gaming industry is an import from somewhere else.

Monoriu

Looking at this thread, I remember a guy that I heard very frequently when I was in university.  Mike Harris of Ontario.  I remember that my professors and fellow students said many...things about him.  He was my hero, so to speak.  I secretly wished that he would become premier of Canada some day. 

Apparently that didn't happen.  So, what happened to him?  :unsure:

Grey Fox

viper37

Quote from: Neil on July 09, 2012, 10:41:05 AM
No talent though.
true, there ain't many Poles around, only Americans and English Canadians.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Mono, I dont think anyone will ever become Premier of Canada.

In other news, and this will surprise some of you - Neil - I think our Premier is making a terrible mistake suggesting Alberta should share resource royalties with BC in return for the Pipeline.  There are a number of reasons.  In no particular order:

1) It is a constitutionally daft position to take.  Resource extraction is a Provincal matter.  The transportation of those resources across provinces is a Federal matter.  If the argument is that BC is taking the risk of spills and clean up then BC should not be looking to Alberta to pay for that but rather the Feds - who by the way take a cut of everything.

2) It would set an exceedingly dangerous precedent.  We have enough trouble dealing with equalization payments from the Feds to the have not provinces.  Transfer payments between provinces opens up the possibility of strategically placed provinces to hold the rest of the country to ransom in order to obtain access to ports.

3) BC obtains much of its wealth by providing access to and from Asia.  Why would BC do anything to inhibit that trade?  What is going to be next - the rest of canada charging BC for all goods which are transhiped from BC ports and which cross other provinces?

This strikes me as the worst form of pandering to the masses and has the potential to be a public policy disaster for decades to come.