And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on May 14, 2012, 01:10:39 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 14, 2012, 01:02:55 PM
even disregarding NAFTA, stemming trade to Canada would probably hurt you more then us. How much of your current trade is with the US? And beyond that, can canada stop/tarif Quebec trade through the  gulf of St. Lawerence in retaliation to tarifs on the river itself?
Even if we were to prevent "Canadian" ships from sailing through the river itself, or tariffing it to the max, it wouldn't make billions.
First, there ain't that much "Canadian" ships, except for tourists.  Commercial ships tend to register in fiscal paradises.
Second, it needs to stop in a Quebec port to pay the docking fees.  If it stops in Chicago, there is nothing we can collect.

So we need ships who have the Canadian flag that will stop in Quebec to have a real significance, and there may not be that much.

This is not what I meant. I meant it has we're taking the seaway hostage & nothing is getting thru.

NAFTA for an independant Quebec?  :lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on May 14, 2012, 01:07:30 PM
I give you two gems from the "Qc should stay in Canada" writers:

"– Mankind once lived in isolated communities, speaking thousands of languages. All were essentially ignorant of, and understandably indifferent to, other communities. However, the world has changed. The time has come to put behind us these ancient tribal divisions. Let us have the maturity to reform Canada as one nation and one people, with the courage and confidence to embrace a single common language — our greatest gift to future generations.
Iain G. Foulds, Spruce Grove, Alta"

"– Frankly, the future of Quebec is becoming increasingly irrelevant. Globalization, free trade, and the effects of technology in homogenizing culture worldwide have changed the playing field. Many of us who have been devoted federalists now see that, irrespective of what happens to Quebec, Canada will remain strong, and Quebecers will assume both the benefits and obligations of being "maitres chez nous." If Quebec leaves Confederation, it won't matter very much in the larger scheme of things.
Norm McDougall, Thunder Bay, Ont."

Canada.  :)

Zoups - it's like getting worked up over the comments section at a news site. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

I know the National Post is troll central, worry not.  :P

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on May 14, 2012, 02:20:08 PM
I know the National Post is troll central, worry not.  :P

Yeah... Jesus. If those jerks who wrote to the National Post are the ones setting the agenda for Canada in the event of Quebec separating, then I'm dead-set against separation. Not for Quebec's sake, but for my own. They'll make a mess of the country.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 14, 2012, 01:40:57 PM
So according to you an independant Quebec should be isolated?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on May 14, 2012, 01:18:28 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 14, 2012, 01:11:45 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 14, 2012, 01:07:10 PM
Also, what happens in the northern natives separate and join canada? Can they? Do their treaty rights allow them too? i remember a long time ago that the pole numbers amongst the first nations were very much in favour of staying in canada. I wonder if it still is?
They won't, because they are happy in Quebec now, compared to 1995.  It's amazing what a few million$ does to change one's mind :)
if canada takes the few million (billion?) it was transfering to quebec and starts funneling that to the natives they'll come back to the fold. Anglo-french native proxy war, just like the good old days :wub:
the goold old days being 1993-2003?  It's funny how Quebec's relationship with the indians became better once Chrétien retired and his while sponsorship scandal was exposed, leaving the Libs with only a minority in parliament :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on May 14, 2012, 02:54:48 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 14, 2012, 01:40:57 PM
So according to you an independant Quebec should be isolated?

No not at all, I just think it won't fly.

Drakken

If Bill 78 is allowed to pass at the QNA, right now, spontaneous manifestations will be de facto outlawed for everyone until the government decides so, and when students return to their classes after a long hard session of buttfucking by this government and their collabos and student scabs.

Any group of 10 people or more wanting to manifest have to give their schedule and path to the police in advance, and the police can unilaterally make changes without consultation.

This Liberal government is dead to me. Even the Barreau du Québec is dead against this Bill as presented, as it literally tears asounder obvious rights given by the Charter just to crush a frigging crisis about student tuition hikes, most of which is of the government's making by their obvious lack of good will and general paternalistic treatment of the student associations.

Grey Fox

They made amendments to the bill. It's now group of 25. Also, all this expires in July of 2013.

More lawyers are going to make more money, yay!

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 18, 2012, 01:49:49 PM
They made amendments to the bill. It's now group of 25. Also, all this expires in July of 2013.

More lawyers are going to make more money, yay!

Yes, it expires next year. Guess what happens next year? Election. Until then, manifestation are outlawed except when specifically approved by the police, for everyone - not just students about the tuition hike.

Education crony minister Michelle Courchesne went as far as to say in Assembly that the dispositions of the Bill will be curtailed by the police relying on their self-moderation and their "good sense". :rolleyes:

They need to be impeached, the Restoration-England hard way. And pay accordingly. And the funniest is, I'm not even against the tuition hike.

Grey Fox

Fuck Impeachment. La classe politique Québécoise doit être complêtement éradiquer.

Aux armes, citoyens!

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 18, 2012, 01:57:22 PM
Fuck Impeachment. La classe politique Québécoise doit être complêtement éradiquer.

Aux armes, citoyens!

Impeachment in the House at the time usually meant to be criminally charged and sent to the scaffold. ;)

Et le pire c'est que si la CAQ agissait comme un parti d'opposition, et non comme un troupeau de drettistes réactionnaires, le PQ n'aurait besoin que de convaincre 3-4 ou 5 députés libéraux de quitter le caucus ou de se déclarer malade du rhume au bon moment, et ce gouvernement tombe comme une pierre.

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on May 18, 2012, 01:53:27 PM
Until then, manifestation are outlawed except when specifically approved by the police, for everyone - not just students about the tuition hike.
they don't have to be approved.  The police need to be informed about it 8hrs prior to the event.  Police can switch the location of the protest once it is going on, if there are any troubles.

Education crony minister Michelle Courchesne went as far as to say in Assembly that the dispositions of the Bill will be curtailed by the police relying on their self-moderation and their "good sense". :rolleyes:
She said police and judges, to be fair.

They need to be impeached, the Restoration-England hard way. And pay accordingly. And the funniest is, I'm not even against the tuition hike.
It's fairly easy to do.  All you have to do is make sure 2 MPs from the Liberal party are out of town when a motion is voted.

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on May 18, 2012, 01:59:19 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 18, 2012, 01:57:22 PM

Aux armes, citoyens!

Impeachment in the House at the time usually meant to be criminally charged and sent to the scaffold. ;)

Et le pire c'est que si la CAQ agissait comme un parti d'opposition, et non comme un troupeau de drettistes réactionnaires, le PQ n'aurait besoin que de convaincre 3-4 ou 5 députés libéraux de quitter le caucus ou de se déclarer malade du rhume au bon moment, et ce gouvernement tombe comme une pierre.
La CAQ a déjà proposé des amendements.  Pour le reste, attendons le vote, à ma connaissance, elle n'est pas encore passée.

Drakken

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2012, 02:02:21 PM
they don't have to be approved.  The police need to be informed about it 8hrs prior to the event.  Police can switch the location of the protest once it is going on, if there are any troubles.

And they can also veto any manifestation if they suspect that it will lead to vandalism, which is basically any manifestation in which students are involved. They would only need to say they will consider it illegal before it even begins.

She said police and judges, to be fair.

And given the official comments of the Barreau, I'm not even sure the law will even be applied in court as written, as it is grossly unconstitutional on several points. This bill has been written on a hankerchief on some civil servant's cornertable.

It's fairly easy to do.  All you have to do is make sure 2 MPs from the Liberal party are out of town when a motion is voted.

It'll take more MPs than that, man. We can expect your pals at the CAQ to vote with the government if any motion of no-confidence with a chance of success is presented.