News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I'm willing to be elected to the Canadian Senate.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 30, 2011, 02:30:16 PM

'tis a good gig if you can get it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 30, 2011, 02:47:39 PM

Only nine year terms if elected.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 30, 2011, 02:52:02 PM

A nine year paid vacation? Not so shabby.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on November 30, 2011, 02:54:26 PM

And you get a lifetime pension, do you not?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 30, 2011, 02:58:09 PM

I don't know.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I would take it if the pension came with it.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on November 30, 2011, 02:58:09 PM

Dunno ... that would indeed be sweet, though.  :lol:

Edit: according to this article, yes.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/article729201.ece

QuoteBut even if he retires earlier, Mr. Brazeau, like all senators, will be eligible for a monthly pension after only six years in Parliament, earning annual payments worth 3 per cent of his annual salary for every year of service, starting at age 55.

However, it isn't exactly overflowing wealth. After 9 years, you get a pension worth 3 percent of salary per year starting at 55 ... the salary for a senator is allegedly $130,000 or so, which would amount to ... $23,400.

Better than nothing, but hardly enough to live a life of sybaritic ease.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Hmm, I thought the pension was a better deal than that.  In that case I would not take the job.

Josephus

Still beats you know...actually working for nine years. If I were to run next year and do this for nine years, I'd be 55. I would then  collect $23K a year on top of what my current pension investments will be worth plus what I would contribute to my private pensions during my senate tenure, I think I'd be OK.

I think i just decided what to do with the rest of my life. Now I need McGuinty to play along.

Grey Fox

Considering my current income, I'd take that pension.

Also, I wouldn't quit after 9 years, you can't make me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Free money is hard to pass up.  But if you can only be there 9 years and the pension isnt great you have to weigh that against the earning potential you are giving up not just during those 9 years but also the years following that.  The Canadian Senate doesnt exactly lend itself to immediate job prospects after the term is over.

I suppose if one was very energetic you might make a name for yourself during your nine year stint so that your experience might open some doors but that seems a pretty poor substitute for simply being that energetic in the private sphere which would result in more money and more opportunites at the end of the same 9 year period.

This is really a post for people that are ready to retire.  Like Jos.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2011, 04:07:23 PM
Free money is hard to pass up.  But if you can only be there 9 years and the pension isnt great you have to weigh that against the earning potential you are giving up not just during those 9 years but also the years following that.  The Canadian Senate doesnt exactly lend itself to immediate job prospects after the term is over.

I suppose if one was very energetic you might make a name for yourself during your nine year stint so that your experience might open some doors but that seems a pretty poor substitute for simply being that energetic in the private sphere which would result in more money and more opportunites at the end of the same 9 year period.

I agree - for anyone in a law-related field, the money is clearly not worth it, if the figures in the article are at all accurate. "I was a senator!" isn't the sort of thing that opens lots of doors in private practice I would imagine - it simply lacks the cachet of being a senior civil servant, judge or MP, as the Canadian Senate is being widely considered a small-time plum position for political hacks being put out to pasture. 

Josephus

Yeah, exactly. If I was GF's age, it wouldn't make much sense....but if it was offered to me now. For sure. 9 years of holiday + early retirement. I'm in.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2011, 04:07:23 PM

God, you make me sound old. :D In real life I won't be retiring for at least 20 more years! :(