News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Here's a link for anyone who is curious:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/john-ibbitson/liberals-stake-their-partys-revival-on-leadership-primaries/article2232878/

It's an interesting idea.  In order to vote you have to essentially give the Liberal Party your name and address.  But you know what - that kind of information is a goldmine to a political party.  It could do wonders to help them with fundraising down the road.

Or it could allow some complete kook to walk in and take over the party.  I wonder what David Orchard is up to these days.  Mel Hurtig is probably too old, as is Paul Hellyer, but you never know I suppose.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 14, 2011, 04:54:38 PM
Christ.  The Liberals are the party I've always come closest to on those internet quiz things :(

What caused the hollowing out?  This can't just have been a couple of uninspiring leaders.  Surely this sort of rot takes a very long time.

Have they a way back?

How are the NDP doing as the main opposition?

It's gone on for a long time.  The problem with being a centrist party is nobody gets really excited about centrism.  It doesn't drive people to work the long hours, to donate money, that are all required for a political party to work.

Now being in power can compensate for that - plenty of people will donate, volunteer, in order to be closer to the party in power.  Just ask the Alberta PC Party about that.

But once you're out of power?  your support can vanish overnight.

Barrister

Oh, the NDP?

Can't really say right now.  They're obviously distracted by their own leadership campaign.  Their poll numbers have held steady.  But right now with none of the opposition parties having leaders in place, the Conservatives have free reign.

Jacob

How would you judge the Conservative record, now with their free reigns?

So far, it doesn't seem like the sky has come down upon our heads.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2011, 04:56:16 PM
I wonder what David Orchard is up to these days. 

I was thinking the same thing.

Jacob

Hmmm... I wonder if you have to be a citizen to vote in the proposed Liberal primary.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 14, 2011, 05:15:30 PM

So far they've done a number of things that they've said they were going to do - abolish long gun registry and the wheat board, pass the crime bill.

And Jacob - the CPC allows anyone with permanent residence in Canada to become a member.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 14, 2011, 05:15:30 PM

They are implementing their election promises.  So far so good.

Admiral Yi

What was the deal with the wheat board, anyone?  A while back I heard a CBC story on it (local NPR does an hour of CBC a night) but couldn't figure out what the ruckus was about.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2011, 04:59:38 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 14, 2011, 04:54:38 PM
Christ.  The Liberals are the party I've always come closest to on those internet quiz things :(

What caused the hollowing out?  This can't just have been a couple of uninspiring leaders.  Surely this sort of rot takes a very long time.

Have they a way back?

How are the NDP doing as the main opposition?

It's gone on for a long time.  The problem with being a centrist party is nobody gets really excited about centrism.  It doesn't drive people to work the long hours, to donate money, that are all required for a political party to work.

Now being in power can compensate for that - plenty of people will donate, volunteer, in order to be closer to the party in power.  Just ask the Alberta PC Party about that.

But once you're out of power?  your support can vanish overnight.

I think you can be centrist and exciting - if you have a vision about what you wish to accomplish, what sort of society you wish to foster.

The Liberals did in fact have such a vison, under Trudeau (whether one agreed with it or not). For whatever reason, they have not been able to generate a similar vision in the present, hence they are withering away.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2011, 05:24:27 PM
What was the deal with the wheat board, anyone?  A while back I heard a CBC story on it (local NPR does an hour of CBC a night) but couldn't figure out what the ruckus was about.

All wheat is sold through the wheat board.  It was set up to get the best price for Canadian wheat on international markets.  Problem is a lot of farmers think they can do better if they sell on their own.

We have a similar system for diary products, chicken and eggs and talk is those are not long for this world either.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2011, 05:27:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2011, 05:24:27 PM

All wheat is sold through the wheat board.  It was set up to get the best price for Canadian wheat on international markets.  Problem is a lot of farmers think they can do better if they sell on their own.

We have a similar system for diary products, chicken and eggs and talk is those are not long for this world either.

All Western Canadian wheat must be sold through the wheat board.  Ontario wheat farmers can sell on their own.

Yi - you could spend a lot of time trying to figure out Canadian supply-management systems and not come out any the wiser.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 14, 2011, 05:25:58 PM
I think you can be centrist and exciting - if you have a vision about what you wish to accomplish, what sort of society you wish to foster.

Agreed.  And although it could not be said that Harper generated any particular excitement in the last election you and I have observed in the past that he has gained seats because people perceive that he is more centrist and moderate then his political foes characterize him.

Indeed that may be the Liberal/NDP biggest blunder.  They made Harper out to be such a right wing terror that Harper cannot help be appear more moderate than that.

Josephus

Hey if I decide to run, will you guys vote for me? :)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2011, 05:27:51 PM

Presumably some farmers think they will lose out too?  The story I heard was focused on a referendum of farmers in some province or another that voted to keep it (nonbinding obviously).