News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2011, 12:54:36 PM
There is a report being released today by a group comprised of ex judges, academics, police officers and lawyers calling for the decriminalization and regulation of pot.  I cant find an online story on it to link for you - which is a bit surprising.

BB, one of the ex judges was a special prosecutor for drug offences back in the day...

I predict BB's response will be to wish death upon them in some manner.  A manner that probably involves rope.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2011, 01:18:00 PMI predict BB's response will be to wish death upon them in some manner.  A manner that probably involves rope.

We should give him enough rope....

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2011, 01:07:04 PM
Then they discovered that it was a Health Canada Government Sanctioned Medical Marijuana Grow Op.
Health Canada uses duplexes as grow ops?

The Minister of Health should resign over this nonsense.  What's the point of legalizing the drug trade if they're going to act like criminals anyways?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

There is a report being released today by a group comprised of ex judges, academics, police officers and lawyers calling for the decriminalization and regulation of pot.  I cant find an online story on it to link for you - which is a bit surprising.

BB, one of the ex judges was a special prosecutor for drug offences back in the day...
Wasn't it already decriminalized, at least for simple posession?  sounds like it's just another step on the path.

At any rate, it's probably not going to happen for diplomatic reasons, but it's certainly a weapon to consider using.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

I am all for reasoned and intelligent discussions on marijuana policy.  I'd appreciate a link if you do see one.

My ire is reserved for "fucking potheads".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on October 27, 2011, 01:58:58 PM

Wasn't it already decriminalized, at least for simple posession?  sounds like it's just another step on the path.

At any rate, it's probably not going to happen for diplomatic reasons, but it's certainly a weapon to consider using.

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

I can't believe that misconception is still around!

Chretien discussed decriminalizing - back when he was Prime Minister.  That was what - 7-8 years ago?  It never went through though, and once Harper became Prime Minister it was off the table.  Yet still people think we decriminalized (or even legalized) pot.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Well, use of marijuana has exploded over the last decade, it's an easy mistake to make.  You'd think it was legal.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2011, 02:01:39 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 27, 2011, 01:58:58 PM

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

Chretien discussed decriminalizing - back when he was Prime Minister.  That was what - 7-8 years ago?  It never went through though, and once Harper became Prime Minister it was off the table.  Yet still people think we decriminalized (or even legalized) pot.

In some places at least, the cops have more or less stopped enforcing against simple possession (unless someone is an asshole about it).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 27, 2011, 02:30:09 PM
In some places at least, the cops have more or less stopped enforcing against simple possession (unless someone is an asshole about it).
it's been like that for years.  In Quebec, people smoke pot on the streets, in the smokers area, even when close by to cops or police station.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Kenney's announcement on the parent and grandparent immigration backlog has been well received in the Jacob household. Fears have been allayed, the policy is reasonable. As such, the Conservative party is still eligible to receive votes from the household once we have any to cast (so most likely starting next year).

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 05, 2011, 01:13:41 AM
Kenney's announcement on the parent and grandparent immigration backlog has been well received in the Jacob household. Fears have been allayed, the policy is reasonable. As such, the Conservative party is still eligible to receive votes from the household once we have any to cast (so most likely starting next year).

When I heard the announced changes I was very happy for you.

Admiral Yi

When I was in Montreal  saw four guys in a convertible, in traffic, hoofing away at a bong.  Cop car right behind them.

crazy canuck

Everyone suspected the Liberals were in some trouble but this is getting pretty bad.  Apparently there are so few active riding associations that they are considering selecting their next leader using a for of American style Primary system where all Canadians can vote for the leader.

If they do that my prediction is that the successful candidate will be more left wing then would otherwise be the case since most conservatives would not vote in such an election process but many NDP supporters probably would.

So how is this going to help the Liberals recapture the middle ground.

Sheilbh

Christ.  The Liberals are the party I've always come closest to on those internet quiz things :(

What caused the hollowing out?  This can't just have been a couple of uninspiring leaders.  Surely this sort of rot takes a very long time.

Have they a way back?

How are the NDP doing as the main opposition?
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2011, 02:01:39 PM

Canadian Ned thinks it is.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnewjEEUs1c
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017