News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

So Malthus, your aunt is trying to go to war with your city?  Which side will you come down on?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2011, 09:52:44 AM
So Malthus, your aunt is trying to go to war with your city?  Which side will you come down on?
There's like another library 2 miles in two directions from the library. Still Atwood (author, not lawyer :P ) is just looking out for her potential customer, so it makes sense :lol:   
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2011, 09:52:44 AM

She's engaged in a twitter fight with some city councellor about closing some city libraries. He's all for it, she's against.

The guy she's arguing with comes off sounding like a moron. But I suspect being involved in the fight is boosting his ego a lot. After all, prior to this no-one had ever heard of him.

I can't imagine closing libraries is a great idea, or is really going to save appreciable amounts of city money. OTOH our city is pretty broke, and cutting anything is going to cause screams of anguish from someone. I would not be surprised if controversies like this were stirred up deliberately simply to put pressure on the province to stop bleeding the city dry. But perhaps this is giving everyone involved too much credit for intelligence.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Isn't it the mayor's brother she's going up against...a guy who says he's never heard of your aunt? Maybe if he spent more time in libraries as a kid instead of the candy shop. I mean like her or not, she's not exactly an obscure Canadian novelist.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on July 27, 2011, 10:41:37 AM
Isn't it the mayor's brother she's going up against...a guy who says he's never heard of your aunt? Maybe if he spent more time in libraries as a kid instead of the candy shop. I mean like her or not, she's not exactly an obscure Canadian novelist.
He didn't say he never heard of her, just that he wouldn't know her if he saw her. Ain't much better, but it's different :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Neil

Quote from: HVC on July 27, 2011, 10:57:55 AM
He didn't say he never heard of her, just that he wouldn't know her if he saw her. Ain't much better, but it's different :P
Not much better?  There are all kinds of authors that I've read extensively whom I wouldn't know in person.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Before Malthus mentionned her. I had never heard of Maggie Atwood. However, Quebec french public schools aren't big a showing canadian english lit.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

I've never read anything she's written because she's a fiction writer, but I'd head of her in the media.

HVC

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2011, 11:37:09 AM
Not much better?  There are all kinds of authors that I've read extensively whom I wouldn't know in person.
She's a big deal in Toronto (well, as big as an author can be, i guess). And crops up in the news often.

Josephus

I HAD to read her in CAn Lit. I'm not a huge fan, but there were two books, no three, I sorta liked: Handmaid's Tale; Cat's Eye; Robber Bride (all published between 1985-93) when I was younger and trying to impress women.)

Just dawned on me, actually, I met Malthus once and once went out for drinks with a nephew of Mordecai Richler.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

He recent one was pretty good too... whatever it was called. The one about Penelope.

Josephus

Actually no. If you read the editorial today, it implies that councillor Ford has no idea who Atwood is.

Neil

Josephus

Yes,

I see in The Post that he has backtracked, like all politiicans, and said he has heard of her.

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on July 28, 2011, 07:48:52 AM
Yes,

I see in The Post that he has backtracked, like all politiicans, and said he has heard of her.
And if it's in the Star and it's about anyone whose last name is Ford, you can be sure that it's probably horseshit.