News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Guy Goma, an IT technician who turned up for a job interview at the BBC and got mixed up with Guy Kewney, a music technology journalist booked onto be interviewed on the news :lol:

Edit: I think he did a fantastic job given the situation.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 10, 2023, 02:06:19 AM... what?

You can't ask "do you have Canadian experience"?

Can you ask "can you tell me about where you've worked"? Can you look at a resume and see what the previous employers were, and ask enough questions that allow you to determine if they have Canadian experience?

I do think the boat has sailed on "foreign sounding names" in this country, though.

So 20 years ago, I was working in a small town lawfirm.  One of the partners (heck - all of the partners) had pieces of various local businesses, because that's just what being a small town lawyer can be like.

Anyways this one lawyer had a rental property.  He had gotten burned by renting to someone on social assistance, so he wanted to put "are you on social assistance" on his new rental inquiry form.  I tried to explain to him "you can't do that", and tried to give alternate ways of getting that information that wouldn't be quite so obviously against the human rights code, but he wouldn't listen.

Foreign experience is - an issue.  I feel like I've seen an influx of lawyers from west Africa in the courts recently.    I'm sure they have fine educations and are masters of courtrooms in Nigeria - but they have no idea what they're doing in a Canadian courtroom and it really shows.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 10, 2023, 12:06:49 PMGuy Goma, an IT technician who turned up for a job interview at the BBC and got mixed up with Guy Kewney, a music technology journalist booked onto be interviewed on the news :lol:

Edit: I think he did a fantastic job given the situation.

lol it's like a snl skit
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Canadian government announced government cuts of $500 million yesterday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-spending-freeze-1.7023982

This is however your friendly reminder that in the spring budget the Liberals budgeted total spending of $496 billion dollars, making yesterdays cuts 0.1% of total government spending. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cost-to-run-federal-government-increase-151b-a-year-1.6797486

Under the last Conservative government (2014-2015) total spending was $280 billion, or $345 billion adjusted for inflation.

HVC

They really like harping in the 80,000 new employees, but unless they're getting paid 1.9 mill a piece, the money is going somewhere else. Nice to know where to decide if the money is worth it.

Now I dislike public service works as much as anyone else (sorry BB :P ), but I do t know if they really were understaffed or if this was bloat.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on November 10, 2023, 12:51:25 PMThey really like harping in the 80,000 new employees, but unless they're getting paid 1.9 mill a piece, the money is going somewhere else. Nice to know where to decide if the money is worth it.

Now I dislike public service works as much as anyone else (sorry BB :P ), but I do t know if they really were understaffed or if this was bloat.

I mostly just "like" how the government is trying to appear all frugal and virtuous by announcing a 0.1% reduction in spending.  It's like someone announcing they're going on a diet by saying they'll only put one sugar in their coffee, not two.

I mean - I guess it's a step in the right direction, but such an insignificant one it will make no difference.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on November 09, 2023, 11:35:56 PMOntario is making asking about Canadian job experience in postings or applications illegal. I don't know why, but I have a feeling this will back fire. Like people with foreign sounding names not even getting first interviews style backfire.

Not quite correct.  What is being proposed is a ban on requiring Canadian experience as part of an application form. 

The move is being criticized as not going far enough. What the critics would like is something more in line with what you have described and that is a prohibition about asking about Canadian experience during the interview.

Some view this as a cynical move to attract the immigrant vote without actually changing anything.

Grey Fox

Around here we barely recognize Canadian experience 😆
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Since this is also the unofficial CFL thread.

Get ready BB, the Als are going to the Grey Cup!

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 11, 2023, 08:21:18 PMSince this is also the unofficial CFL thread.

Get ready BB, the Als are going to the Grey Cup!
I'd swear we had a dedicated thread of that, but the search engine isn't working for me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

The government of Quebec is giving 5M$ in grant money to Québécor and Gestev so they can bring the LA Kings for their last week training camp next fall in Quebec city.

That's a lot of money for one small insignificant event on which we will never get our money back.  There's no way a minor NHL event brings that much cash in town.

At the very least, if it was one full week of Boston Bruins, it would have solidly pissed off Montreal...  :shutup:

They only do it because as per their current contract, without a NHL team, Quebecor never pays the full amount of taxes to the city and always manage to operate at loss, despite having events for more than half the year and filling the arena with a junior hockey team for the big games.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

It's quite something. That government cannot at any moment, read the fucking room.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 14, 2023, 09:38:21 PMIt's quite something. That government cannot at any moment, read the fucking room.
30% for the MPs, right before they begin their negotiations with the public workforce.

They lose a by-election to the PQ, they announce the revival of the 3rd link between Quebec city and south shore.  They lose a few more points in the polls, they send the tramway project back for study in the hands of the CDPQ (not bad decision in itself, but it's like, 5 years too late, if not more).

Now, a week after telling us we're going to face difficult times, this comes along.  FFS.

If this was a bunch of inexperience newbies, I'd get it.  But Legault served under Lucien Bouchard, he should know better.  When Bouchard negotiated with the public unions, he offered 5% for everyone, including the MPs.  He faced a revolt of the caucus, but he maintained his position: 5% for everyone, out of fairness.

No frivolous expenses.

And the worst part, is I learn after posting this that the Canadiens offered to play one game for free at the Videotron Centre but were rejected by Québécor.

Barrister

New coins with King Charles likeness were announced today.

HVC