Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2022, 09:39:47 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2022, 09:36:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2022, 02:11:19 PM
It turns out people in Vancouver have at least some French in them - reports of eggs having been thrown at the people trying to pull of a demo in Vancouver.
Zoupa is close to Vancouver...  :sleep:

He is exerting a positive influence, in even this short space of time.  Maybe in future the Okanagan will no longer be Little Alberta due to his influence.  :D
It's one the many positive influence immigrants can have on a society.   :hug:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2022, 09:40:33 AM
Quote from: Jacob on February 06, 2022, 04:12:34 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2022, 02:53:12 PM
Just a few lines up, he insisted the Party was doing nothing to reject these people's (fascist) embrance.  It seems like he links the two, like in the US.

I do not think it is a wise course of action to bring US problems into our own.

Pierre Poilievre - a Conservative leadership candidate - openly supported the convoy. A number of Saskatchewan MPs - including former Conservative leader Scheer - and a Conservative senator posed with convoy members and thumbs up, saying they support them.

I think it's fair to say that they haven't rejected these people's embrace.

It's not Oex doing the linking, it's the Conservative Party.

Though to be fair, it does seem the Convoy and their supporters are doing their best to remove fascist imagery from their protests now. Still, yesterday there were reports of pro convoy protesters assaulting Asian people with masks downtown, yelling racist slurs at them... so I don't think they're quite in the clear. Would be nice for the Conservative Party to clearly distance themselves from this sort of thing.
Scheer ain't party leader, he's not even in the caucus.  You can't prevent someone from expressing his/her opinion.
The officials of the party have never accepted or even tolerated fascists.

You might want to check out the social media of the person now running for leader - and all the support he gave them throughout.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2022, 09:41:25 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2022, 09:39:47 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2022, 09:36:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2022, 02:11:19 PM
It turns out people in Vancouver have at least some French in them - reports of eggs having been thrown at the people trying to pull of a demo in Vancouver.
Zoupa is close to Vancouver...  :sleep:

He is exerting a positive influence, in even this short space of time.  Maybe in future the Okanagan will no longer be Little Alberta due to his influence.  :D
It's one the many positive influence immigrants can have on a society.   :hug:

Yes, certainly.

Grey Fox

Scheer is still part of conservative caucus.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 06, 2022, 06:59:07 PM
Anyways... Pierre Poilievre is running for the Conservative leadership. From what I've seen, he doesn't come across as someone who's going to do a good job appealing to the middle, what with his strong endorsement of the convoy.

What do you think?

Who else is in the running?

Beeb, please come back and give us the insider view... :cry:
None of the current Quebec MPs have declared support for Poilievre. The provincial caucus leader has resigned from his functions so he can freely support anyone else.

It's way too early to tell what direction will the party go.  If it becomes too radical, it will create another split.  the Reform wing should remember its history.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2022, 09:47:29 AM
Quote from: Jacob on February 06, 2022, 06:59:07 PM
Anyways... Pierre Poilievre is running for the Conservative leadership. From what I've seen, he doesn't come across as someone who's going to do a good job appealing to the middle, what with his strong endorsement of the convoy.

What do you think?

Who else is in the running?

Beeb, please come back and give us the insider view... :cry:
None of the current Quebec MPs have declared support for Poilievre. The provincial caucus leader has resigned from his functions so he can freely support anyone else.

It's way too early to tell what direction will the party go.  If it becomes too radical, it will create another split.  the Reform wing should remember its history.

The problem is they do - with fondness. 

Josephus

Judge issues injunction against honking in Ottawa.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on February 07, 2022, 03:33:33 PM
Judge issues injunction against honking in Ottawa.

I am actually a bit surprised by that.  The BC courts have taken the view that they should not be used as a tool for the police to be told to do their job.  Rather judges here have asked for the head of the police to come to court to explain, in detail, why they were not enforcing the law.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2022, 09:41:56 AM
You might want to check out the social media of the person now running for leader - and all the support he gave them throughout.

I disagree with their stance, I think it's a stupid idea to try to harness such populist movement, but that does not make Poilievre a fascist, nor does it make the Conservative Party a haven for fascists. Unless you want to label everything right of the corrupt & ineffician Liberal Party as fascist. 

It is your right, after all, but just say it so that the LPC is rightmost party you'll ever tolerate in your vision of democracy.  It would clarify some things. But Poilievre isn't party leader right now, and he hasn't published any platform.  He's a candidate, for now.  We'll see if there are others and what kind of platforum they will run on.  I'd really wish Gérard Deltell would run, but I don't think he wants to.

As for Oex, he has a tendancy to read everything political in Canada from a US-centric point of view since he went to work over there.  Conservative Party = Republican Party.  Fair game here too.  Just don't act so offended when I refer to NDP supporters as commies.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

This sounds too perfectly aligned with poetic justice, but there are reports that members of the trucker convoy in Ottawa are beginning to suffer from coughs, tiredness, and other flu-like symptoms....

Jacob

My wife and I are seriously discussing joining the Conservatives, purely to vote for the least right-radical leadership candidate.

Probably won't do it, but it's a topic of conversation around....

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2022, 08:35:19 PM
I disagree with their stance, I think it's a stupid idea to try to harness such populist movement, but that does not make Poilievre a fascist, nor does it make the Conservative Party a haven for fascists.

What? Yes, it literally does.

What's that German saying again, if there's a Nazi at the table and 10 other people sitting there talking to him, you got a table with 11 Nazis.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on February 08, 2022, 02:08:58 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2022, 08:35:19 PM
I disagree with their stance, I think it's a stupid idea to try to harness such populist movement, but that does not make Poilievre a fascist, nor does it make the Conservative Party a haven for fascists.

What? Yes, it literally does.

What's that German saying again, if there's a Nazi at the table and 10 other people sitting there talking to him, you got a table with 11 Nazis.
Ah, I see.

I would like to declare the NDP, Québec Solidaire and the Parti Québécois as terrorist, for associating with and promoting terrorist organizations during various protests.

Do we jail all the members?  Only the executive of the party?

Also, we have the Parti Québécois leader and (at that point) future Prime Minister disturbing the peace during an illegal protest, preventing citizens from sleeping and enjoying their quiet lives.  What's more is that she freely admitted she would do it again:
Lien en français.
Do you think today she supports the so called "Freedom convoy"? :)

Again, do we jail all PQ members?  I seem to remember a former Prime Minister who did something like that.  He's hailed as some kind of hero in parts of English Canada, and there are still people voting for his son today.  Since the people like it, it's obviously a good move.

I'm certain you agree, because you know, if 10 people sits down with a terrorist sympathizer or a criminal, that makes them terrorists and criminals too.