And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: Jacob on February 06, 2022, 06:29:17 PM
These guys:

QuoteIn a statement, organizers said they would not be honking their truck horns Sunday morning.

"Out of respect for the Lord's Day, for members of our military who have sacrificed and who continue to sacrifice so much for our freedom, for the men and women in blue who are doing such a superb job protecting us, and as a gesture of goodwill, members of our Convoy will desist from the blowing of Horns tomorrow, Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Ottawa time," a news release said.

However, horns could still be heard downtown.

Christianity under siege: check.
Blue Lives matter: check
ostentatious militarism: check
only missing "Make Canada great again"...
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on February 06, 2022, 06:59:07 PM
Anyways... Pierre Poilievre is running for the Conservative leadership. From what I've seen, he doesn't come across as someone who's going to do a good job appealing to the middle, what with his strong endorsement of the convoy.

What do you think?

Who else is in the running?

Beeb, please come back and give us the insider view... :cry:
If we are lucky, he's too busy running for the position himself. 😀
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on February 06, 2022, 08:36:36 PM
If we are lucky, he's too busy running for the position himself. 😀

Beeb as leader of the Conservatives... yeah, I think I'd be okay with that.

Jacob

Looks like the Ottawa Police finally took some action. They've seized the fuel and propane from the convoy supply depot, and are blocking additional resupply. It may make it harder for the protesters to keep their saunas warm

Ottawa is getting warmer, only going down to -10C at night (~14F)... so maybe not too bad. Still, may be enough for "it's a time honoured tradition for Nazis to be defeated by lack of fuel in the winter" to come true.

The Ottawa Police (maybe the RCMP was involved) showed up in body armour and with carbines, which apparently surprised some of the protesters. In any case, it's a start.

11B4V

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 06, 2022, 07:45:03 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 06, 2022, 06:29:17 PM
These guys:

QuoteIn a statement, organizers said they would not be honking their truck horns Sunday morning.

"Out of respect for the Lord's Day, for members of our military who have sacrificed and who continue to sacrifice so much for our freedom, for the men and women in blue who are doing such a superb job protecting us, and as a gesture of goodwill, members of our Convoy will desist from the blowing of Horns tomorrow, Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Ottawa time," a news release said.

However, horns could still be heard downtown.

Christianity under siege: check.
Blue Lives matter: check
ostentatious militarism: check
only missing "Make Canada great again"...

MCGA... Nah too Irish sounding.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Amusingly, on the whole "Christianity under siege" thing... a bunch of Ottawa churches who were scheduled to have in person services this Sunday morning (for the first time in a long time) had to cancel due to the protests.

Jacob

Jesus Christ... here's a thread showing two people attempting to light an Ottawa apartment building on fire in the middle of the night, taping the doors shut. Apparently because some of the residents had confronted the protesters keeping them up all night with their honking and fireworks.

https://twitter.com/timunoz/status/1490473045965815812?s=21

Razgovory

Taping up the door handles is a nice touch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Also, I can't say I'm pleased with the way Ted Cruz is involving himself in this.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on February 07, 2022, 01:35:11 AM
Also, I can't say I'm pleased with the way Ted Cruz is involving himself in this.

He is Albertan after all.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2022, 02:11:19 PM
It turns out people in Vancouver have at least some French in them - reports of eggs having been thrown at the people trying to pull of a demo in Vancouver.
Zoupa is close to Vancouver...  :sleep:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2022, 02:50:34 PM
Quebec Police has told the truckers they need to be gone by the end of the day.  And apparently, they agreed.

Seems like when a government takes a firm stance, it works.
And they are gone.  No damage to the city, no horns after 22h.  The police and the government really handled that well.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on February 06, 2022, 02:51:06 PM
The demonstrations don't appear to be causing as much disruption in Toronto. Heavy police presence with, so far, no tolerance for trucks settling down to lock up streets; at least so far, no hate symbols or desecration of monuments or buildings.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6341587

Not sure why Ottawa is going through such an ordeal. Maybe other cities learned from their example. Maybe those going to protest in Ottawa were more numerous or more hardcore.
Ottawa would not move without the approval of the Federal government.  Elsewhere, it's different.

Way I see it, the term "Karen convoy" as a dismissive term for them makes most sense; the emotion fueling these demonstrations is a sort of collective 'I want to speak to your manager' about how long the pandemic restrictions have gone on ... despite the fact that it started over trucks and was in places inspired or co-opted by various fascists and conspiracy lunatics, the most prevalent motive seems to be that.
I totally agree with that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2022, 09:36:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2022, 02:11:19 PM
It turns out people in Vancouver have at least some French in them - reports of eggs having been thrown at the people trying to pull of a demo in Vancouver.
Zoupa is close to Vancouver...  :sleep:

He is exerting a positive influence, in even this short space of time.  Maybe in future the Okanagan will no longer be Little Alberta due to his influence.  :D

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 06, 2022, 04:12:34 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2022, 02:53:12 PM
Just a few lines up, he insisted the Party was doing nothing to reject these people's (fascist) embrance.  It seems like he links the two, like in the US.

I do not think it is a wise course of action to bring US problems into our own.

Pierre Poilievre - a Conservative leadership candidate - openly supported the convoy. A number of Saskatchewan MPs - including former Conservative leader Scheer - and a Conservative senator posed with convoy members and thumbs up, saying they support them.

I think it's fair to say that they haven't rejected these people's embrace.

It's not Oex doing the linking, it's the Conservative Party.

Though to be fair, it does seem the Convoy and their supporters are doing their best to remove fascist imagery from their protests now. Still, yesterday there were reports of pro convoy protesters assaulting Asian people with masks downtown, yelling racist slurs at them... so I don't think they're quite in the clear. Would be nice for the Conservative Party to clearly distance themselves from this sort of thing.
Scheer ain't party leader, he's not even in the caucus.  You can't prevent someone from expressing his/her opinion.
The officials of the party have never accepted or even tolerated fascists.