Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on September 14, 2021, 02:53:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 14, 2021, 02:39:43 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 14, 2021, 02:33:00 PM
:huh:

?

This was in response to something now deleted, not your post.

Ah, I see, he had already deleted what he posted.

His post was to the effect that the PHO in Alberta is making moves to allow for a verification of vaccination status.  But the problem is, since the Alberta government removed all restrictions, there are no PHO orders in place requiring vaccination - and actually I don't think Alberta ever had any.  So that puts all the onus on the private sector and public bodies to make their own assessment of whether to make vaccinations mandatory.  The universities within Alberta did that yesterday, as an example.

So from a conservative ideological point of view, all well and good - right?

Wrong.  That puts all those decision making entities at considerable risk legally.  You see, carrying on with the university example, in their wisdom the courts in Alberta have decided the Charter applies to universities (the only jurisdiction in Canada to do so).  So now the universities need to go to the expense and risk of defending their decisions in light of sections 15, 7 and likely a freedom of religion argument.  All of which would have been unnecessary if the Alberta government simply did what pretty much everyone else in Canada is doing and order vaccinations are required (or not) in certain settings.

But that would go against the conservative small government grain.

Barrister

You've got me CC (and Jacob).  Conservatism is the worst, progressivism is the best.  I was so blind before.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 14, 2021, 03:19:38 PM
You've got me CC (and Jacob).  Conservatism is the worst, progressivism is the best.  I was so blind before.

i mean i know you're being sarcastic, but...

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Well this page is about to get boring.

Fuck it, I'll take up the conservative cause if necessary.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

20 years in the making. Languish longest war.

:lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 14, 2021, 04:39:01 PM

20 years in the making. Languish longest war.

:lol:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Hey if you want to have a debate about why it makes sense for the Alberta government to have no restrictions or vaccine mandates in place - when Alberta ICU beds are full with COVID patients,  fill your boots.

HVC

Not to further derail to the other thread about more Quebec laws; I just learned that it's illegal for a woman to take her husbands surname in Quebec.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Grey Fox

You don't change name upon marriage, that's all.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

Quote from: HVC on September 14, 2021, 08:50:14 PM
Not to further derail to the other thread about more Quebec laws; I just learned that it's illegal for a woman to take her husbands surname in Quebec.

:lol: Wtf are you getting your news?

As GF said, it's not automatic. You can go change your name at any time.

Jacob

I don't think it's automatic in BC either...?

I'm pretty sure they ask you either way and go with what you tell them. Certainly, I don't recall having to take any extra steps in the process and my wife kept her name.

HVC

Quote from: Zoupa on September 14, 2021, 11:07:32 PM

I got it From the Government of Quebec lol

https://www.justice.gouv.qc.ca/en/couples-and-families/marriage-civil-union-and-de-facto-union/marriage/married-name/

Zoupa

Quote from: HVC on September 15, 2021, 03:53:10 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 14, 2021, 11:07:32 PM

I got it From the Government of Quebec lol

https://www.justice.gouv.qc.ca/en/couples-and-families/marriage-civil-union-and-de-facto-union/marriage/married-name/

Ok? Can you point out the part where it says it's illegal? Because that's literally what you posted.

Here you have the actual relevant gov website:

http://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/en/change-name.html#voie2

QuoteWho can apply for a change of name?

You can apply for a change of name for yourself if you are 14 years of age or over and domiciled in Québec for at least one year.

Voila.

HVC

QuoteIn Québec, both spouses keep their surname after they marry. In other words, you must use the surname you were given at birth to exercise your civil rights, for example

when you sign a contract,
or apply for a driver's licence.
Even if you married outside Québec but you are domiciled in Québec, you must exercise your civil rights using the surname you were given at birth.

However, in your social life you can, if you wish, use your spouse's surname.

The way I read this is you can call yourself whatever you want your legal name is your surname. So its not legal to change tonyour spouses name, hence illegal.

As for a name change, from the same website you linked under Change of name: a significant act

Important

Under the Civil Code of Québec, both spouses retain their respective names in marriage and exercise civil rights under those names. Consequently, if a married woman wants to adopt her spouse's surname, the Directeur de l'état civil will authorize that change of name only in an exceptional situation.

Don't know why you're getting so worked up. Apparently quebecs not the only place with similar laws. Greece has them too