News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on January 14, 2021, 04:25:25 PM
don't laugh.  Things are so dire that Ontario's Premier spoke two words of French.  The most French words spoken by an Ontario' Premier, outside of election, since 1867.  It reminds of the gravity of the situation: "Restez maison :(

That can't be true.  I mean Premier Kenney answers questions in French from time to time even, and this is in Alberta.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2021, 04:29:51 PM
don't laugh.  Things are so dire that Ontario's Premier spoke two words of French.  The most French words spoken by an Ontario' Premier, outside of election, since 1867.  It reminds of the gravity of the situation: "Restez maison :(

That can't be true.  I mean Premier Kenney answers questions in French from time to time even, and this is in Alberta.

Bob Rae, also comes to mind.

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Jacob

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2021, 04:52:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2021, 04:29:51 PM

Bob Rae, also comes to mind.
I don't think Bob Rae was fully bilingual when he unsucessfully ran for head of the Canadian Liberal Party.

Nevertheless, my comment was obviously tongue in cheek- sarcasms, a joke.

The situation is indeed critical in Ontario.  I have no idea how it came to be.  Ontario seemed to have an easier time managing the 2nd wave than Quebec at first, than, boom!

I know Quebec has had a lot of illegal gatherings, but few tickets for these, unfortunately, so they kept going on until we had a curfew.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on January 15, 2021, 02:41:30 PM
The situation is indeed critical in Ontario.  I have no idea how it came to be.  Ontario seemed to have an easier time managing the 2nd wave than Quebec at first, than, boom!

That's the thing about this virus.  You can be doing great, even for a long time, but then BAM it sneaks back up on you.

Alberta has slowly been making progress, and is very slightly loosening up restrictions.  Personal care services (like hair salons) are allowed to open on an appointment-only basis.  As well outdoor gatherings of up to 10 people are allowed.  Indoor gatherings still banned.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2021, 02:46:20 PM
Alberta has slowly been making progress, and is very slightly loosening up restrictions.  Personal care services (like hair salons) are allowed to open on an appointment-only basis.  As well outdoor gatherings of up to 10 people are allowed.  Indoor gatherings still banned.

NOthing like outdoor gatherings in January in Alberta  ;)

I think though that's been the problem world wide. I think BB at one time, months ago, said that BC had largely eliminated the virus, and now it's back there as well. You can't let your guard down. That's what we all did in the summer, and that's one of the main reasons we're where we are now.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2021, 05:26:03 PM
NOthing like outdoor gatherings in January in Alberta  ;)
Of course :)
Nothing like skiing in tourist traps elusive resorts like Whistler. 
However, the Rockies do have slopes on the other side, too. ;)

I'm quite certain Albertans enjoy skiing as much as the rest of Canadians :P And outside hockey too.
And gliding with their kids.  And many, many, many other winter sports :)

And really, who knows, but maybe they're even civilized enough to have outdoor heavy metal shows in the dead of winter like Quebec city does! :D

You can't let your guard down. That's what we all did in the summer, and that's one of the main reasons we're where we are now.
those fracking school parties  in August/September.   :glare:   We had no problems before that.  It's starting to go down in my area, after a spike pre-Christmas.  Seems the hard lockdown did have an effect, at least.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Are ski resorts open? They're closed in Ontario. If they're open are they allowing 10 people?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on January 15, 2021, 02:41:30 PM
I don't think Bob Rae was fully bilingual when he unsucessfully ran for head of the Canadian Liberal Party.

your recollection is not accurate.  From a story at that time - Rae was in fact the most bilingual of the group and  rated fully bilingual.

QuoteOnly five of the 11 candidates now running for the Liberal leadership were given passing grades when rated against the scale for a bilingualism certificate by University of Ottawa professor Hélène Knoerr. Bob Rae topped the list, followed closely by Michael Ignatieff

QuoteBoth Mr. Rae and Mr. Ignatieff scored top-level ratings, rating 4, displaying a wide range of proficiency that Prof. Knoerr labelled "impressive." Mr. Ignatieff hesitated a bit more, but in both cases, "the message got through very well, and the pronunciation was very good."

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2021, 11:26:15 PM
Are ski resorts open? They're closed in Ontario. If they're open are they allowing 10 people?

One of the best things my family ever did was buy a family season's pass to a local ski hill here in Edmonton.  It's not great by any stretch, but it's a healthy outdoor activity.  We've been going 2-3 times per week since November.  Masks must be worn 100% of the time, ride on chair lifts only with your family group.  It keeps us busy and active.

My understanding is the big ski resorts in the Rockies are open.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on January 16, 2021, 01:05:19 AM
Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2021, 11:26:15 PM

One of the best things my family ever did was buy a family season's pass to a local ski hill here in Edmonton.  It's not great by any stretch, but it's a healthy outdoor activity.  We've been going 2-3 times per week since November.  Masks must be worn 100% of the time, ride on chair lifts only with your family group.  It keeps us busy and active.

My understanding is the big ski resorts in the Rockies are open.

Good. Ontario's rules are contradictory and don't make sense (hence my little parody sketch above). Here, for instance, you can go horseback riding but not skiing. I think the argument is that people tend to congregate at choke points like the ski lifts. As you say, it's a healthy activitiy. Also, if you shut down the ski resorts for January and February....well...

Grey Fox

The ski resorts in Quebec are open. Indoors area are limited to bathroom & warm up purposes. No mingling between People from different addresses.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Some Canadian politics for your afternoon.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/erin-otoole-takes-a-calculated-risk-in-attempting-to-eject-derek-sloan-from-caucus?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1611085659

So Conservative MP Derek Sloan (who ran and came in 4th of 4 in the 2020 leadership race) was found to have accepted a donation from a noted white supremacist during that campaign.  That was dug up by a left-wing media outlet Press Progress.

Now CPC leader O'Toole is trying to kick Sloan out of caucus (and has previously announced he won't sign his nomination papers for the next election).

The donation itself seems like pretty thin gruel to kick someone out of caucus - it's not like the donation came with little swastikas drawn on it.  But there's a history here and O'Toole wants to make quite clear that there's to be no flirting with white supremacist types.  But this means there has to be a caucus vote, and a loss (or a narrow win for O'Toole) would be harmful to him.

Valmy

I mean how famous is this White Supremacist? Is it reasonable he would have recognized the name? Was it Augustus Sol Invictus?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."