News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 06, 2020, 03:23:46 PM
What was your line the other day about important issues and waste of time?

This story, predictably, has zero resonnance here.
Mi thought that was the point - it's a story that is both minor and without any rancour between parties.

The alleged ancient Chinese curse is "may you live in interesting times". Point is that boring can be good.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2020, 03:30:04 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on November 06, 2020, 03:23:46 PM
What was your line the other day about important issues and waste of time?

This story, predictably, has zero resonnance here.
Mi thought that was the point - it's a story that is both minor and without any rancour between parties.

The alleged ancient Chinese curse is "may you live in interesting times". Point is that boring can be good.

:yes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I saw it on LaPresse. Wholefoods is being so "Target" American, here. Created a storm for no good reason.

@BB I was wrong, not everything has a EvF dynamic.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Oexmelin

I got that: I would have to be surprisingly deaf and blind not to get it, as the whole "boring is good" is increasingly becoming part of the Canadian mythos...

My point was simply that one person's feel-good story is another person's political distraction. The bloody two solitudes can't even get their feel-good stories straight.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 06, 2020, 03:40:02 PM

I got that: I would have to be surprisingly deaf and blind not to get it, as the whole "boring is good" is increasingly becoming part of the Canadian mythos...

My point was simply that one person's feel-good story is another person's political distraction. The bloody two solitudes can't even get their feel-good stories straight.

The point was that the various parties agreed on the issue without a problem. Thus, the story isn't a "distraction" and has little or nothing to do with the "two solitudes". Rather, it shows that politics here aren't as poisoned as it is south of the border - it is still possible for multiple parties to agree on stuff without every little thing being fodder for someone's cultural or political war.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

So, Whole Foods learned that Canada is not the US and is now inviting it's employees to wear a poppy.

Barrister

So I've been wondering about timelines for Canada receiving vaccines, in particular as compared to to other countries.  I know the Conservatives have been hammering away on this point.

First hard numbers I've seen: Canada will get 6 million doses (so enough for 3 million people) from January through March, with more afterwards.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vaccine-pirority-list-tam-1.5825796

Trudeau has earlier said he hopes to get the majority of Canadians vaccinated by September 2021.

Grey Fox

While Conservative asking the question is fair. They wouldn't have done any better. 40 years of Canadian government have not kept Canadian companies Canadian.

I don't know what else could have been done. Our manufacturing capabilities have been getting gutted for so long.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 02, 2020, 08:03:35 PM
While Conservative asking the question is fair. They wouldn't have done any better. 40 years of Canadian government have not kept Canadian companies Canadian.

I don't know what else could have been done. Our manufacturing capabilities have been getting gutted for so long.

The allegation from the Conservatives is this: that Trudeau shouldn't have signed a deal with China and should have been signing purchase agreements with other companies much earlier than August in order to secure Canada sufficient vaccine supplies in a sufficient time.

I still think the deal with CanSino was terrible - but I don't know if signing up earlier with vaccine makers would have made a difference.  We shall see.

Alberta today announced their plans.  In Q1 2021 we're supposed to get enough vaccine for 435,000 people, a little over 10% of the population.  By Q2 we should have vaccinated around 1/3, and moving on from there.

Grey Fox

@Jos

CJN is coming back, are you getting your job back?

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 10, 2020, 08:51:17 AM
@Jos

CJN is coming back, are you getting your job back?

wow...news travels fast.

It's a bit of an exaggeration. A new group of people, including my ex boss, the editor, have acquired the brand from the previous owners. He told me he plans on starting something in the new year, likely a newsletter, podcast and website updates. For now my involvement will be limited and freelance. But if it ever becomes print again, then maybe. We'll see.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

viper37

Massive data leaks at Parkland (Ultramar banners) Inc.
Parkland denies they got away with any data, but the hackers sends everyone it stole information from a series message with links to a TOR site where they copies of passport, and employees contract.  They also have some plans/schematics for building projects.  All in all, it's really, really, really bad for them.  And us, our clients... E-mail adress, signature, bank account, Ultramar credit card numbers, they may have it all.

Since I have a business account there and they have my banking info, I am a little worried...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Threviel

If it's Ultramar under attack it's usually Nurgle that did it.

crazy canuck

Reading the tea leaves it looks like a Spring election.  The Liberal climate change initiative released on Friday looks like it will be the main campaign issue.  It will be interesting to see what the Conservatives will counter with.   If they were not so bound to their anti carbon tax positions of the past this would be a good opportunity for them to differentiate themselves from the regulatory and subsidy complexities of the Liberal plan.  So what will O'Toole propose instead?  I think his political career depends on that question.