News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 25, 2020, 08:27:23 PM
In their current state, a conservative victory would be a disaster.

I would care except that's always your answer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Yes, fortunately for us, Trudeau was there to end the nightmare of prosperity and good governance.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

If you want to govern Canada in a semi-regular basis, you need at least 20 seats in Qc. You will never get that if you don't drop the whole 1950s bullshit about "social issues", ie read abortion.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on August 25, 2020, 10:55:39 PM
If you want to govern Canada in a semi-regular basis, you need at least 20 seats in Qc. You will never get that if you don't drop the whole 1950s bullshit about "social issues", ie read abortion.

Not entirely true.  In 2011 Conservatives won far less than 20 seats in QC (googling says 5).

But you do need to be competitive in Quebec.  If you just write off the province, that's a terrible sign for the rest of English-speaking Canada, and will cost you votes elsewhere.

And given Quebec's issues over the hijab, I hardly think the province can be throwing stones over "social issues".

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2020, 09:26:57 PM

I would care except that's always your answer.

:lol:

That's fair. But it would be.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2020, 10:30:39 PM
Yes, fortunately for us, Trudeau was there to end the nightmare of prosperity and good governance.

Come on Viper, no one is doing "good governance". CPCs are grifters & Oil shills, Liberals are there to enrich their friends.

Sheilbh

Have to be honest it was a surprise when I clicked through on this story. Erin O'Toole, I thought, she sounds like a strong, feisty Irish-Cana.....Oh :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

I least the first name isn't Plenty.  :P

viper37

You will never get that if you don't drop the whole 1950s bullshit about "social issues", ie read abortion.
And yet, Trudeau is the only party leader who pronounced itself against abortion, before backtracking when confronted, of course.  Just like he was against official bilinguism in New Brunswick, before his advisors said he was in favour.

When was the last time the Conservatives threatened to outlaw abortion?  IIRC, it was the party that let it slide when the court ruled in favour of women's rights.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 26, 2020, 05:47:35 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2020, 10:30:39 PM

Come on Viper, no one is doing "good governance". CPCs are grifters & Oil shills, Liberals are there to enrich their friends.
I remember a cabinet minister forced to resign because she had an 8$ orange juice charged to her room.

How much has Trudeau and his ministers wasted so far?  In excess travels?  In personal expenses paid for by the government?  Or in illegal gifts received by private corportations?

And yet, you want them back in power over the Cons.  Despite their opposition to a decentralized Canada, their opposition to french speakers rights, their financial favouritism of english activist groups seeking to undermine Quebec's laws, their wasteful expenses that have done nothing but enrich the friends of the party.

Like it or not, oil&gaz are still needed and will be needed for a while.

Trudeau was supposed to repeal tax credits for oil corporations... I've yet to see that.

Malthus

This new O'Toole fellow seems to agree with you completely.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/7296846/erin-otoole-conservative-party-future/amp/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Surprisingly, the sino-canadian vaccine trials have been formally abandoned.

Once, we owe a debt of gratitude to the Liberal Party of Canada and Justin Trudeau for spending money on something that will have zero usefulness.

Thank 'od he is in power instead of these filthy social conservatives that seek to let people vote according to their conscience.  Oh, what evil have we been spared by electing our most gracious leader to date :)

Grey Fox

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 27, 2020, 05:34:39 PM
It's just money, dude.

Typical leftist answer. :rolleyes: :P

That being said, I can't imagine this particular episode cost much money, rather it was from the outset the idea of relying on a Chinese company for a vaccine always seemed dubious, given the ongoing tensions between the two countries.

The Feds have subsequently signed a few deals with other, western vaccine makers, but how much the CanSino episode will delay getting Canadians a vaccine is yet to be known.

viper37

Link

Inside the Chinese military attack on Nortel

It was a mind-blowing clue.

In 2004 Nortel cyber-security advisor Brian Shields investigated a serious breach in the telecom giant's network. At the time Nortel's fibre optics equipment was the world's envy, with 70 per cent of all internet traffic running on Canadian technology.

And someone wanted Nortel's secrets.

Shields found that a computer in Shanghai had hacked into the email account of an Ottawa-based Nortel executive. Using passwords stolen from the executive the intruder downloaded more than 450 documents from "Live Link" — a Nortel server used to warehouse sensitive intellectual property.

Shields soon found the hacker controlled the accounts of at least seven Nortel executives. This was no random cybercriminal. But who was it?

Shields examined the numerical internet addresses of computers extracting Nortel data and found that they were clustered into a tiny pinprick of cyberspace. He was stunned because it looked like a room filled with web servers. Whoever was behind these hackers, Shields believed, seemed to control China's internet.

[...]

Short story:
China compromised Nortel, stole all its tech thanks to bugs, backdoors and PhD Students hired by Nortel.
CSIS warned Nortel's management, its own cybersecurity service warned them but they didn't take the treat seriously.