News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Well, all you really need to know about the state of Canadian politics is Poilievre was a standout on that committee.

This tweet sums up the performance of the Liberals on the Finance Committee.

https://twitter.com/AlexpiersonAMP/status/1288930069977726976

Duque de Bragança

viper37

Quote from: saskganesh on July 22, 2020, 05:56:53 AM
Ontario lived through many years of real and alleged Liberal corruption because they didn't want another Mike Harris.

If there was a Federal election today, Trudeau would win a  majority.
No wonder things are going so bad with an attitude like that.
Corruption and incompetence is big no-no for me.
Losing track of 20 000 infrastructure projetcs is bad enough, but now I learn they finance skateboard parks in a community where the average age is 53.
And of course, there's this PPE contract, for 10 year, to a company that has no plant in Canada.  Just wonderful.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on July 24, 2020, 07:57:08 AM
She harassed people to the point of making them cry and quit. At least allegedly. that's a bit more then a strong francophone woman. For a mostly PR position that really can't stand.
Lots of people don't like to be pushed.  Especially in the public workforce.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Finance Minister Bill Morneau resigns after a semi-public spat wit Trudeau.

Chrystia Freeland and Mark Carney are suggested as replacements.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-17/canadian-finance-minister-morneau-resigns-amid-rift-with-trudeau?sref=ej1KltYf
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

A cynic might reasonably think the spat was planned to blunt the sting of resigning after a scandal.

Josephus

Looks like it will be Freeland; another step towards the leadership?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Oexmelin

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2020, 09:10:47 AM
A cynic might reasonably think the spat was planned to blunt the sting of resigning after a scandal.

I think a reasonable person ought to be a cynic in this case. Journalists made it clear the spat had been leaked (if not manufactured) by the PM's office to cast Morneau into the role of the tightfisted baddie against the generous PM. It also has the advantage of being a distinct narrative to the WE scandal in which Trudeau himself is involved.

For the anecdote, I once met Kielburger, doing charity work for (then) Free the children. It convinced me not to work with or for them again.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josephus

Proroguing 10 years ago got a lot more play on Languish than it does now.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Oexmelin

Yup. For the exact same reason I feared then: it has become yet another ordinary tool in the arsenal of the government, just like gag rule.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

It will be interesting to see if it works and with time people will forget about WE as we move on to the next great issues of the day.

But I think this such a transparent play that the brand has been considerably tarnished by confirming it really is the same old Liberal party despite all the protestations to the contrary.

crazy canuck

Ibbitson had a good piece on the political fall out in the Globe and Mail, it is behind a paywall and so I won't repost, but one of his points is that all decision making power is now firmly within the orbit of the PMO.  A few of you will remember Trudeau's promise that he is not his father and that he will allow his cabinet ministers to govern their ministries. 

My take is tt may be that in the modern state it is necessary to gravitate more to the executive having more power.  For example, I think Harper was forced into doing it that way to keep the wing nuts within his caucus in check but he did allow his able cabinet ministers room to run their ministries.  Trudeau successfully proposed a different governing style from Harper and especially his father and he promised to do things differently.  Now we have a PMO with much more power than what Harper tried to hold.    Trudeau just has better PR.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on August 18, 2020, 05:06:41 PM
Proroguing 10 years ago got a lot more play on Languish than it does now.
It had a lot more play in the medias too.  A few minutes in a talk panel saying it's a good move for Trudeau, but zero accusations of undermining democracy like the last time.

I wonder what happenned to journalistic neutrality ;)

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2020, 10:38:50 PM
But I think this such a transparent play that the brand has been considerably tarnished by confirming it really is the same old Liberal party despite all the protestations to the contrary.
A lot of people saw throught it.  Many saw through it and still voted for them.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 20, 2020, 12:24:32 AM
I wonder what happenned to journalistic neutrality ;)

I mean it was never a virtue on talk shows and opinion pieces and that seems to have emerged as the dominant forms of journalism.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."