Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2020, 09:05:25 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 24, 2020, 07:22:53 AM
Bah. No need.

Same thing happened with Michaelle Jean. Strong francophone women are scary to the Federal government employees apparently.

I don't see any comparison.  Why do you think Jean was unpopular?

To what I remember, she was a bitch to everyone maybe in part because of a medical condition. Wikipedia calls this the Loose cannon era. Jean, unlike Payette, thinks she's a aristocrat so was being also a bitch to dignitaries.

She was a separatist until Paul Martin named her to the position, which probably didn't help.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on July 24, 2020, 07:18:22 AM
So looks like our Gov.-Gen. is in some hot water.
I don't think too many people like her. Trudeau should let her go.

I'm not sure Trudeau can fire her.  Certainly never heard of it happening.

Googling, it sounds pretty murky.  The GG can only be fired by the monarch, but on the advice of the PM.  Reading something about the Australian Constitutional Crisis of 1975 where there was some thought the Aussie PM would seek to fire the GG before the GG could invite the opposition to form government, but looks like it never came to that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

I received my CPC leadership ballot today. :cool:

It's a ranked ballot - I think I'm going to go O'toole - Lewis - null vote.

But I have a couple more weeks to think about it.

crazy canuck

If I were a member O'toole would have my vote.  I agree with your assessment that there is no one worthy of our down rank support other than Lewis.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2020, 10:56:26 AM
Quote from: Josephus on July 24, 2020, 07:18:22 AM
So looks like our Gov.-Gen. is in some hot water.
I don't think too many people like her. Trudeau should let her go.

I'm not sure Trudeau can fire her.  Certainly never heard of it happening.

Googling, it sounds pretty murky.  The GG can only be fired by the monarch, but on the advice of the PM.  Reading something about the Australian Constitutional Crisis of 1975 where there was some thought the Aussie PM would seek to fire the GG before the GG could invite the opposition to form government, but looks like it never came to that.

I imagine he could request that the Monarch remove her from office. The Monarch of course does not have to, but in the circumstances (accused of creating a hostile environment etc) would almost certainly do so - it isn't like the GG is under fire for opposing the PM's will, which would be totally different.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I have a hard time imagining Liz not firing the GG if the PM asked even if she really did not want to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2020, 01:23:50 PM
I have a hard time imagining Liz not firing the GG if the PM asked even if she really did not want to.

If the allegations are found to be true it is likely the GG will find her duties interfere with family obligations

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 25, 2020, 03:11:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2020, 01:23:50 PM

If the allegations are found to be true it is likely the GG will find her duties interfere with family obligations

Would those be the family obligations of her husband of whom she was charged with assaulting in 2011 in Maryland, and even though the charges were dropped, the two split weeks later? :ph34r:

crazy canuck

Watching the WE finance committee meeting proceedings the other day and today.

WE brothers came across as entitled twits who could not believe people wanted to ask questions about a few hundred thousand here or there.

Poilieve (sp?) is doing a pretty good job - hard to be effective under these committee rules and the Liberal committee members constantly objecting improperly.

The Liberals on the panel, sickeningly self serving questions.

Trudeau  :x

crazy canuck

Very good line of questioning by P.

Trudeau kept saying he didnt know any of the details of the deal, so know P has him in position of making decisions without making sure they are appropriate.

crazy canuck

So the upshot of the PMs story is that he was so concerned about the perception of conflict that he sent the WE proposal back for further vetting.  But if he recognized that, we didn't he just recuse himself.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Maximus