News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Michael Chong would be ideal, but would never get the nomination.

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 13, 2019, 02:08:39 PM
I don't get it either. But I think it stems from the realization that you need a bilingual figure if you want to get some people elected in Quebec.

I think after Preston Manning (who I still adore) was unable to make any traction whatsoever in Quebec as a unilingual anglophone, the party knows the leader has to be bilingual.

An interesting candidate in terms of background might be Pierre Poilievre, who is Franco-Albertan but represents a riding near Ottawa.  He could theoretically appeal to Quebecers, Alberta, and Ontario.  But I have no idea what kind of policies he'd run on.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2019, 01:34:36 PM
So who has any favourites in the upcoming Conservative leadership race?

Brad Wall (former Sask premier) would have been an interesting choice, but alas he doesn't speak French.

I know many will stump for Peter Mackay.  But I'll never trust him.  Remember back when he was running for leadership of the PC Party?  He made an explicit deal with David Orchard, promising (amongst other things) that he would never merge with the Canadian Alliance.  Except of course that within months he was negotiating with Stephen Harper to merge the two parties.  It was the right decision, but how can you trust the man after that?

Rona Ambrose would be an attractive candidate.  Thankfully Maxime Bernier took himself out of the running (though I doubt his candidacy would even be allowed).  Erin O'toole came in third in the last race so I guess he should be considered, though I know little about him.

I have the same view about Mackay.  If Ambrose ran I would be tempted to pay membership dues to vote for her.

Oexmelin

Poilièvre doesn't have the temperament to be the leader of a national party. He's a zealot attack dog that Harper wielded skillfully.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 13, 2019, 05:45:29 PM
Poilièvre doesn't have the temperament to be the leader of a national party. He's a zealot attack dog that Harper wielded skillfully.

You say stuff like that and I might start pulling for the guy. :)

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2019, 05:56:28 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on December 13, 2019, 05:45:29 PM

You say stuff like that and I might start pulling for the guy. :)

Please do...  :shifty:

Oexmelin

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to give American custom and border officers on Canadian soil extended powers and possibility to override the jurisdiction of Canadian officers? Especially in this context?
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5382547

Zoupa

QuoteThis new authority also allows U.S. border guards to deny Canadians their right of withdrawal. Before the amendment to the law was enacted, if a person felt at all uncomfortable in the course of preclearance questioning she could simply leave, retracting her intention to cross the border with no penalty.

Now, as a result of amendments, the guard is entitled to detain her if he finds "reasonable grounds" to do so. And the request to leave in itself could be construed as reasonable grounds.

:lol: Wtf lol. Well I guess I'm never going to the States again. Oh well.

Why is Canada agreeing to this? What a joke of a country.

Syt

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 15, 2019, 12:57:04 PM
Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to give American custom and border officers on Canadian soil extended powers and possibility to override the jurisdiction of Canadian officers? Especially in this context?

YouTuber Angry Joe and his partner Other Joe (both are Jose with Mexican last names but American citizens) posted a video last year or so how they were held for questioning at a Canadian airport before returning to the USA, causing them to miss their flight and having to spend an extra night.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2019, 02:39:14 AM
YouTuber Angry Joe and his partner Other Joe (both are Jose with Mexican last names but American citizens) posted a video last year or so how they were held for questioning at a Canadian airport before returning to the USA, causing them to miss their flight and having to spend an extra night.

Two of Austin's finest!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on December 16, 2019, 02:31:51 AM
QuoteThis new authority also allows U.S. border guards to deny Canadians their right of withdrawal. Before the amendment to the law was enacted, if a person felt at all uncomfortable in the course of preclearance questioning she could simply leave, retracting her intention to cross the border with no penalty.

Now, as a result of amendments, the guard is entitled to detain her if he finds "reasonable grounds" to do so. And the request to leave in itself could be construed as reasonable grounds.

:lol: Wtf lol. Well I guess I'm never going to the States again. Oh well.

Why is Canada agreeing to this? What a joke of a country.

I see the President is continuing to make our closest international partners regret being associated with us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

As I understand it, it gives American officers the same power they would have at the US border, but it gives it to them when they're stationed in Canada doing pre-clearances.  Your rights aren't any more or less violated - it's just the location which may have changed.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2019, 10:31:44 AM

As I understand it, it gives American officers the same power they would have at the US border, but it gives it to them when they're stationed in Canada doing pre-clearances.  Your rights aren't any more or less violated - it's just the location which may have changed.

I think the issue is not whether your rights are violated or not, but that they're being violated by Americans in Canada. In the past, before this, you can refuse and retract your wish to visit the USA.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on December 16, 2019, 11:11:58 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2019, 10:31:44 AM

I think the issue is not whether your rights are violated or not, but that they're being violated by Americans in Canada. In the past, before this, you can refuse and retract your wish to visit the USA.

That's true when entering Canada.  Was it true for entering the US?