News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

A ex RCMP officer is trying to start a Western Separatist party. He got kicked off the force for threatening his wife. He was part of the "Christian Heritage" Party, which I don't know anything about but the name doesn't sound super inclusive. So a white supremist wife beater is creating a party to give bernier a bit of competition for the racists vote. isn't politics grand
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Anybody remember the Western Canada Concept party?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2019, 08:50:15 AM
Anybody remember the Western Canada Concept party?

:)

Western Separatism is a silly idea.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Did it become the Western Canada Prototype Party?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 05, 2019, 10:49:54 AM
Did it become the Western Canada Prototype Party?

I have a personal interest in fringe right wing Canadian parties, but I've never heard of the Western Canada Prototype Party.

There have been any number of western independence parties formed, with the earliest being the WCC. but also the Western Independence Party, the Western Canadian Independence Party, and the Western Block Party.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2019, 09:19:27 AM
The Conservatives replace an ineffectual Liberal cap and trade policy with a carbon tax and are elected.

Alt history? Not quite.  It almost happened but then the climate deniers took over the party and Trudeau took the idea.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/article-its-deeper-than-andrew-scheer-the-root-of-the-conservative-partys-3/
I haven't seen any tax cuts proposed by the Liberals to offset the costs of this tax.
Also, I've yet to see Trudeau do anything concrete about the environment.  We know it takes more than a simple tax.

Ah, btw, how was the cap&trade inefficient?  The article hint at it being used as slush fund (not different than from Quebec), but that does not relate to the efficiency -or lack of, from the plan.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 05, 2019, 03:46:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2019, 09:19:27 AM
The Conservatives replace an ineffectual Liberal cap and trade policy with a carbon tax and are elected.

Alt history? Not quite.  It almost happened but then the climate deniers took over the party and Trudeau took the idea.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/article-its-deeper-than-andrew-scheer-the-root-of-the-conservative-partys-3/
I haven't seen any tax cuts proposed by the Liberals to offset the costs of this tax.
Also, I've yet to see Trudeau do anything concrete about the environment.  We know it takes more than a simple tax.

Ah, btw, how was the cap&trade inefficient?  The article hint at it being used as slush fund (not different than from Quebec), but that does not relate to the efficiency -or lack of, from the plan.

Not sure how your post is responsive to mine.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2019, 10:33:31 AM
It's a damned shame. Climate change should not be a partisan issue at all. Every person and party should stand on the same side on this.
Does anyone here remembers the debate surrounding Canada-US plans to reduce emissions leading to toxic rains?  Wasn't there any political opposition then?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 05, 2019, 03:49:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2019, 10:33:31 AM
It's a damned shame. Climate change should not be a partisan issue at all. Every person and party should stand on the same side on this.
Does anyone here remembers the debate surrounding Canada-US plans to reduce emissions leading to toxic rains?  Wasn't there any political opposition then?

There was opposition in the US fearing that it would hurt US jobs.

crazy canuck

Looks like Canada/China relations are beginning the thaw and China's trade embargoes are being lifted. 

Hard to read the tea leaves about what is really going on but I don't think it is a coincidence that their new ambassador has just arrived.