News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

To totally maul a quote from Lady Bracknell in Wilde's The importance of being earnest :

To dress in blackface once may be regarded as a misfortune; to dress in blackface twice looks like carelessness; while to dress in blackface thrice looks like indisputable racism.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2019, 08:55:27 PM
See this is because he didn't know the original story. Aladdin was originally Chinese so he should have been in yellow face.

Aladdin was originally in a Chinese city, but he almost certainly wasn't supposed to be "Chinese" ethnically as shown by his name.  He was probably supposed to be Turkic. 

Not that this matters, of course.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Lots of minority leaders coming in defending JT. The First Nations(those that talked atleast) still pissed off are not.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 20, 2019, 07:28:37 AM
Lots of minority leaders coming in defending JT. The First Nations(those that talked atleast) still pissed off are not.

Safe to say he lost that vote with JWR

Rex Francorum

According to Radio Canada, it is another two solitudes phenom. There is no outcry in Québec about Trudeau's blackface
To rent

Barrister

Quote from: Rex Francorum on September 20, 2019, 11:41:32 AM
According to Radio Canada, it is another two solitudes phenom. There is no outcry in Québec about Trudeau's blackface

Which is perhaps not surprising in the province that overrode the charter of rights in order to prevent people from working in the public service who wore religious symbols.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Yeah, I'm not exactly surprised by that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

It has no cultural reference. Journos are looking for it & so far best I've seen is saying Calixa Lavallee did it while performing in the USA (Blackface).  It's always a thing done by people in the USA.

Plus Quebec didn't have many black persons before the 70s.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2019, 12:22:04 PM

Which is perhaps not surprising in the province that overrode the charter of rights in order to prevent people from working in the public service who wore religious symbols.

I guess I don't see what one has to do with the other.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2019, 12:57:58 PM

I guess I don't see what one has to do with the other.

:secret:

Quebecers are a little bit racist, therefore they don't see anything wrong with Trudeau's display of racism.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2019, 01:02:03 PM
Quebecers are a little bit racist, therefore they don't see anything wrong with Trudeau's display of racism.

Religion is not a race but a set of ideas and beliefs -_-

But got it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Oexmelin

Has nothing to do with it. See the point above about La Ligue des Noirs...
Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2019, 01:02:03 PM

One day, Quebec should receive the appropriate recognition for serving as the Other of English Canada, that allows it to point fingers and ignore its own racism.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

I don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with racism in Quebec. And I don't shy away from critiquing Quebec when I think it is deserved.

It is just an alien concept to most people there, as "blackface" wasn't a thing in Quebec.

It also wasn't much of a thing in English Canada, which is why I suspect the average English Canadian, just like their counterparts in Quebec, isn't all that outraged about it. Most people I've seen think it is funny rather than deeply outrageous, mostly because Trudeau himself makes such a display of being politically correct, so it is amusing to see him 'caught out'. You don't get a feeling of real anger about it. More like 'he really ought to have known better'.   

Journalists are another matter - the ones in English Canada are, I think, far more plugged in to the zeitgeist of journalism south of the border. So they make a big deal about it, because it would be more of a big deal in the US, which has more of a history of that sort of thing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

It has a really freaky history over here. It is one of our first big pop culture things (might even be the first one...) and left a huge cultural legacy that is both really important but also shameful and embarrassing. So yeah we get pretty fucking triggered by it.

But I also thought we exported it to other English speaking places like Canada and the UK...

I know at least the UK had blackface acts to.