News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2019, 12:40:46 PM
NDP promise to allow provinces to veto any pipeline through their territory.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/powerandpolitics/jagmeet-singh-ndp-provincial-veto-pipeline-1.5288365

Hey Singh - fuck you too.

There is a pretty famous line in Alberta... "Please God give us another oil boom, I promise not to piss it all away this time". 

Prayer ain't going to work.  30 million dollar oil war rooms ain't going to work.  Not to say Alberta should drop the effort entirely, but diversify, start looking for new pastures... don't put all of your eggs and enthusiasm into one basket that clearly doesn't have the "social license" with the rest of Canada as Mrs. Notley thought it should.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2019, 07:33:58 AM
Flip-flop-flip?  :hmm:

Where people switch back and forth between French and English within the same conversation.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on September 23, 2019, 01:12:20 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/powerandpolitics/jagmeet-singh-ndp-provincial-veto-pipeline-1.5288365

There is a pretty famous line in Alberta... "Please God give us another oil boom, I promise not to piss it all away this time". 

Prayer ain't going to work.  30 million dollar oil war rooms ain't going to work.  Not to say Alberta should drop the effort entirely, but diversify, start looking for new pastures... don't put all of your eggs and enthusiasm into one basket that clearly doesn't have the "social license" with the rest of Canada as Mrs. Notley thought it should.

Who says we aren't?  Edmonton has a burgeoning tech sector.  Calgary is something of a financial center.

Governments are big enough they can try to do more than one thing at a time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2019, 01:34:48 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2019, 07:33:58 AM
Flip-flop-flip?  :hmm:

Where people switch back and forth between French and English within the same conversation.
That's mostly a Montreal thing.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2019, 01:39:43 PM

Who says we aren't?  Edmonton has a burgeoning tech sector.  Calgary is something of a financial center.
Unfortunately, it's all related to the oil sector.  Financial center for oil companies, tech for big oil companies (yes, there is one videogame studio there, I know, but mostly...).

For all the rants about equalization payments, Alberta has never bothered to do its share by reducing the carbon emissions of the province, leaving others to foot the bill.  They lowered their income tax and eliminated the sales tax instead of having a rainy day fund, then they complain they have no more money.  Reminds me of this

Two oil booms, no more money for Alberta.  That compares much more to Venezuela than Norway.
In truth, their management is similar to the leftmost province like Quebec, where we are only saved by federal transfers and we haven't seemed to plan ahead much, until now, timidly.

Tonitrus

Quote from: viper37 on September 23, 2019, 01:47:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2019, 01:39:43 PM

Unfortunately, it's all related to the oil sector.  Financial center for oil companies, tech for big oil companies (yes, there is one videogame studio there, I know, but mostly...).

For all the rants about equalization payments, Alberta has never bothered to do its share by reducing the carbon emissions of the province, leaving others to foot the bill.  They lowered their income tax and eliminated the sales tax instead of having a rainy day fund, then they complain they have no more money.  Reminds me of this

Two oil booms, no more money for Alberta.  That compares much more to Venezuela than Norway.
In truth, their management is similar to the leftmost province like Quebec, where we are only saved by federal transfers and we haven't seemed to plan ahead much, until now, timidly.

Alaska and its state budget has been in the tank the last couple years for these reasons as well.  They probably have enough money to limp by in the Alaska Permanent Fund...but tapping that (in the form of cutting back on the dividend paid out to residents every year) has been a political third rail..."get that gubmint's stinking hands off my free oil monies!"

Barrister

So first round of polls post-blackface are out and they show... no change.

I expected this, but... *sigh*
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Your preferred candidate is way worse than any blackface Trudeau wore & has no legs to stand on.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2019, 06:02:47 PM
Your preferred candidate is way worse than any blackface Trudeau wore
I'll bite.

Is he corrupt?  I mean, corrupt like travelling on the arm of a zealot billionaire?  Corrupt like accepting political financing from a firm under investigation for corruption and trying as hard as he could to avoid them a trial and when caught try to deny it and lauch a smear campaign on his only indigenous mp and then expelling her and anyone who dared asked question from the cabinet?

Is he an hypocrite? You know, the kind of man who makes himself look like a feminist because he named an equal number of female and male ministers while the truth is that they belittle women in this government you're so fond of?  Or maybe it's about being a champion of multikulti while at the same time creating an hostile work environment for non whites and using cultural communities as "bag of votes"?  Or maybe simply pretending to be a champion of environment while using the same targets as the previous government for GHG reduction?

Is he totally and wholly incompetent?

Is he totally hostile to french speakers of this country?  Is he totally hostile to a strong Quebec?  Is he totally hostile to bilinguism?  Does he wish to do away with the seperate schooling system in the few places where french survives in this country?

Does he promote policies that would please the middle class only to make them even more dependant on government help, let them be a the mercy of soulless bureaucrats instead of empowering them?

Grey Fox

No, Yes, Maybe? It doesn't matter.

He's a regressive social conservative.

crazy canuck

@Viper

Does he lead a party that denies or minimizes the need to deal with climate change?