News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2019, 12:37:37 PM
I agree but I think the damage to Trudeau is two fold, he lied about it - which plays into the SNC issue and he is portrayed himself differently.  I think Scheer badly misplayed this - the pictures don't show that Trudeau is unfit to govern.  If that was true then Scheer is equally unfit to govern for things Scheer has done in the past.  Scheer could have simply said - Trudeau, not as advertised and moved on to the issues the Conservatives want to emphasize.

This isn't going to convince people to vote for another party necessarily, but I think it is going to do a lot to keep people home on voting day.  Trudeau in 2015 was able to energize a lot of people to come out and vote.  That is likely not going to happen this time around.  As you have told us before, part of politics is not necessary convincing people to vote for your candidate but also is convincing people not to vote for their preferred candidate - Trudeau just did that in spades.

How did Trudeau lie about it?  I thought he owned up to it - he's the one who volunteered about the high-school "Day O" incident.  Now there's this third time with the video, but he could have just forgotten.

I don't know about "Badly", but I think Scheer probably should have left this one alone ala "the people of Canada will make up their owns minds about Justin Trudeau based on this story.  Now moving on to my tax proposals..."

It could be a fun TV ad though - clips of Trudeau in blackface, in his India costumes, in his boxing match with Haida tattoo...  JT does seem have have a thing for cultural appropriation and "costumes".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2019, 12:53:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2019, 12:37:37 PM
I agree but I think the damage to Trudeau is two fold, he lied about it - which plays into the SNC issue and he is portrayed himself differently.  I think Scheer badly misplayed this - the pictures don't show that Trudeau is unfit to govern.  If that was true then Scheer is equally unfit to govern for things Scheer has done in the past.  Scheer could have simply said - Trudeau, not as advertised and moved on to the issues the Conservatives want to emphasize.

This isn't going to convince people to vote for another party necessarily, but I think it is going to do a lot to keep people home on voting day.  Trudeau in 2015 was able to energize a lot of people to come out and vote.  That is likely not going to happen this time around.  As you have told us before, part of politics is not necessary convincing people to vote for your candidate but also is convincing people not to vote for their preferred candidate - Trudeau just did that in spades.

How did Trudeau lie about it?  I thought he owned up to it - he's the one who volunteered about the high-school "Day O" incident.  Now there's this third time with the video, but he could have just forgotten.

I don't know about "Badly", but I think Scheer probably should have left this one alone ala "the people of Canada will make up their owns minds about Justin Trudeau based on this story.  Now moving on to my tax proposals..."

It could be a fun TV ad though - clips of Trudeau in blackface, in his India costumes, in his boxing match with Haida tattoo...  JT does seem have have a thing for cultural appropriation and "costumes".

What is being reported here is that he had been previously asked about this issue and he had only disclosed the highschool incident.  Now it comes to light that he did it when he was adult, at least twice that we know about.  One of my colleagues of South Asian decent quipped that it is clear Trudeau simply has an intense desire to be an Indian.  :D

I will see if I can find a link to the reports about the dishonesty.

edit: It seems I owe an apology to Scheer, he is essentially doing what I said he should be doing.  Here is his quote from a Globeandmail article

Quote"He was specifically asked if there were other incidents were he engaged in this type of racist behaviour and he indicated there was only other incident," he said, adding there is now evidence of this happening on three occasions.

"Once again, we see with Justin Trudeau one set of rules for himself and one set of rules for the rest of us."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-new-blackface-video-surfaces-a-day-after-trudeau-apologizes-for-two/

crazy canuck

Incidentally you can understand why Trudeau might have hoped the third one would not surface.  It is the most offensive of the bunch.

viper37

Quote from: Camerus on September 19, 2019, 07:52:45 AM
Indeed he's virtually an empty vessel apart from his (professed) ideology.
Liberal supporters like that about him.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

So he said he can't recall how many times he engaged in this behavior? :wacko:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Wait - did Trudeau just say he didn't mention the incident in the video (where he appears to not only be in blackface, but imitating an ape) because he was drunk?

Saw this on twitter, not sure I can trust it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2019, 02:21:00 PM
Wait - did Trudeau just say he didn't mention the incident in the video (where he appears to not only be in blackface, but imitating an ape) because he was drunk?

Saw this on twitter, not sure I can trust it.

This is quickly collapsing in on Trudeau.  It is more and more like SNC where he said one thing one day and then another another day.  It has gone from perhaps a non story to one that has legs.  And Trudeau has done it all to himself.

Barrister

Interesting article about the Liberal campaign effort to date: suggests the leader's tour has pretty much just been a big faint - that the bulk of their campaign has been a lot of oppo research on Conservative candidates released in a steady drip.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/justin-trudeaus-face/

Which of course becomes much harder to do now.

crazy canuck

Yeah, I think this would be less of a story without the personal attacks on Scheer at the beginning.  Live by the sword die by the sword.

derspiess

Fidel must be rolling in his grave :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2019, 02:33:46 PM
Interesting article about the Liberal campaign effort to date: suggests the leader's tour has pretty much just been a big faint - that the bulk of their campaign has been a lot of oppo research on Conservative candidates released in a steady drip.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/justin-trudeaus-face/

Which of course becomes much harder to do now.
the attack figuring Faith Goldy have already backfired, when she posted a picture of her an Trudeau, and hinting that he bought her a drink.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Here is an opinion piece in the GlobeandMail that I think fairly accurately describes how this is being perceived in BC.  It is behind a paywall so I won't reproduce it.  But I will give you this teaser

QuoteMr. Trudeau is very good at one thing: virtue-signalling – that is, attempting to convince people that he has good values simply by how he expresses himself.

The writer then goes on to say all the ways Trudeau does not live up to his billing.  Whoever thought up the Conservative catch phrase, not as advertised, must be very happy.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-justin-trudeau-just-helped-jody-wilson-raybould-get-re-elected/

crazy canuck

Trudeau, just can't help stepping on the next landmine.

Quote"I am weary of being definitive about this because the recent pictures that came out I had not remembered," Mr. Trudeau said. "And I think the question is how can you not remember that? And the fact is that I didn't understand how hurtful this is to people who live with discrimination every single day. I have always acknowledged that I come from a place of privilege but I now need to acknowledge that that comes with a massive blind spot."

Mr. Trudeau said he didn't disclose the habit when he was vetted as a Liberal candidate or leadership contestant because "it was really embarrassing."

First, I think he meant wary rather than weary.  The error looks like it was made by the reporter rather than Trudeau.

So what we now have is an admission Trudeau willfully kept the information from his party because of embarrassment.  ie he intended to deceive. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-new-blackface-video-surfaces-a-day-after-trudeau-apologizes-for-two/

Barrister

Hey CC - is there any sense of how JWR is doing in her independent bid?  Can she be re-elected?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2019, 04:46:34 PM
Hey CC - is there any sense of how JWR is doing in her independent bid?  Can she be re-elected?

Before today I would have said it was going to be close.  Now I think she is a shoe in.  She had her big fundraiser last night.  May was there to support her.  The reporters descended on May to get her reaction and because JWR was there she was also asked.  It is JWR's reaction that is getting the most play here.   I would not want to be her Liberal opponent now.