News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

I'll vote like I always do, with the party that most aligns with my values.

It's not my fault our election system is retarded.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on September 05, 2019, 12:28:17 PM
I'll vote like I always do, with the party that most aligns with my values.

It's not my fault our election system is retarded.

There was once a fairly strong political norm that that is exactly what one should do.*  But strategic voting has become much less controversial in recent years.

*Years ago I juniored on a constitutional challenge to an Elections Act provision - during final argument at the trial, the trial judge offered the personal observation that he might consider strategic voting and senior counsel I was with chided the judge saying, with a smile "shame on you my Lord".  Times have changed.  :D

Barrister

Is it even considered "strategic voting" to vote for a less preferred party over a more preferred party that has zero chance of being elected?  I thought that was just good sense?

Before Bernier's party became associated with so many racists, it had some appeal to me (I did prefer Bernier over Scheer in the leadership race), but I never would have voted for it if it was just a small fringe party with single digit support.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

It's not good sense to me. It's cynicism and resignation.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on September 05, 2019, 01:44:09 PM
It's not good sense to me. It's cynicism and resignation.

A first-past-the-post system is, by design, supposed to promote the creation of large broadly-based political parties.

Zoupa

Ok. Still not voting for one though.

Barrister

Unlike strategic voting, I am considering holding a protest vote by voting Green.

I live in Alberta so it's a foregone conclusion the Conservatives will win my riding, and I wouldn't actually want the Greens to win, but I do wish the Conservatives had a stronger climate change plan.  Their plan isn't terrible, but not strong.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Josephus

Do the Greens have anything else on their platform other than the environment? Asking for a progressive friend.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on September 03, 2019, 04:15:51 PM
Federal election is likely to be called in the next week or so.

Today, 14 nominated NDP candidates from New Brunwswick all joined the Green Party and will run under that banner.  Article below mentions that NDP leader Singh has not visited that province since becoming leader 2 years ago.  That seems unwise...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp-greens-nb-1.5268498

It's entirely possible that this election could see the Greens come in as Canada's #3 party.  They have been trending up, and the NDP trending down.  In fact I think I have to hope that happens, because if there's an NDP collapse without a corresponding Green surge that just means the Liberals are the beneficiaries.

Egg on the Green's face as 6 of these candidates say they have no intention of leaving the NDP - they had been contacted about the idea of somehow "merging" the two parties in New Brunswick.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/ndp-greens-defectors-non-defectors-1.5271235

I understand the excitement of wanting to pull of a big coup like this - but make sure you have your facts straight first!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on September 05, 2019, 03:49:56 PM
Do the Greens have anything else on their platform other than the environment? Asking for a progressive friend.

Perhaps but I think they are going to have to prove themselves in this election.  Which is probably why the Libs want the election to be as short as possible.

Camerus

Quote from: Zoupa on September 05, 2019, 11:50:08 AM
Quote from: Camerus on September 04, 2019, 06:50:44 PM
If Justin "Because it's 2015" Trudeau isn't progressive enough for you, your views are probably far enough outside the Canadian mainstream that you have little chance of seeing your preferred party in power anyway.

Trudeau talks the talk but never walks the walk.

The pipeline bullshit was the last straw for me.

Eh, I agree he's had some failures from a progressive standpoint (distinct from his ethical failings, which is a different matter) but he's also actually implemented a lot of progressive policies.

That's one of the problems Singh has faced IMO - how to distinguish his party when the current incarnation of the Liberal Party is already so far left on social issues. Of course, Singh has proven to be a poor leader, but he was also dealt a difficult hand in that respect.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 05, 2019, 12:09:50 PM
So you'll let the racist forced birth demagogue win?
How would that give Maxime Bernier any chance at all?  :huh:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Camerus on September 05, 2019, 07:00:33 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 05, 2019, 11:50:08 AM
Quote from: Camerus on September 04, 2019, 06:50:44 PM
If Justin "Because it's 2015" Trudeau isn't progressive enough for you, your views are probably far enough outside the Canadian mainstream that you have little chance of seeing your preferred party in power anyway.

Trudeau talks the talk but never walks the walk.

The pipeline bullshit was the last straw for me.

Eh, I agree he's had some failures from a progressive standpoint (distinct from his ethical failings, which is a different matter) but he's also actually implemented a lot of progressive policies.

That's one of the problems Singh has faced IMO - how to distinguish his party when the current incarnation of the Liberal Party is already so far left on social issues. Of course, Singh has proven to be a poor leader, but he was also dealt a difficult hand in that respect.

A lot?

Name 5 or maybe just 3.

There has been a lot of talk but no implementation that I can think of.  Remember he backed down from personal corporate tax reform.  That benefits me but does nothing for the greater good.  Also he did nothing about existing trust fund kids, only prevented further such abuses.  Hurts my kids, well notionally, they are going to make their own money, but does nothing to address people like our PM and Minister of Finance.

I want to rephrase how I described the difference between the Libs and Cons.  In addition to the rhetorical differences we now have a better idea of Trudeau's shortcomings.  Scheer is still untested. Well all the other contenders are.