And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on September 04, 2019, 08:01:15 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 03, 2019, 11:22:50 PM
The NDP have become irrelevant and the Liberals a poor choice for progressive voters.  I wondered whether that group of voters would find a home with the Greens and the events of today seems to answer that question.  The question for the Liberals is if the Greens can position themselves as a viable way to keep the Conservatives out of government, why vote Liberal?

I think because that's an enormous "if".

Yeah, that has got to be their argument.  A form of vote for us because we are the Natural Governing Party, but don't look to closely.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 04, 2019, 09:11:26 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 04, 2019, 08:01:15 AM
The NDP have become irrelevant and the Liberals a poor choice for progressive voters.  I wondered whether that group of voters would find a home with the Greens and the events of today seems to answer that question.  The question for the Liberals is if the Greens can position themselves as a viable way to keep the Conservatives out of government, why vote Liberal?

I think because that's an enormous "if".

Yeah, that has got to be their argument.  A form of vote for us because we are the Natural Governing Party, but don't look to closely.

They would phrase it something like: 'vote for us, because a vote for the Greens is basically a vote for the Conservatives. The NDP is hopeless, but they split the progressive vote - NDP and Greens - and so neither party will ever actually win. Your real choice is between Liberals and Conservatives, and so if you don't vote Liberal, you are effectively supporting the Conservatives.'

Problem is, that has a certain amount of logic to it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 03, 2019, 07:03:47 PM
Indeed, my parent's MP has switches sides from NDP to Green. 

It has reinforced their tentative decision to vote Green. Singh has not been a good choice for the NDP.

"not good" is an under statement.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Why are the Greens a better choice for progressives than Liberals?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on September 04, 2019, 02:21:14 PM

One easy answer, election reform.

Malthus

This reminds me somewhat of what happened in Ontario - the Liberals sucked, so the NDP gained voters at the expense of the Liberals, but the beneficiary was the Conservatives, as the progressive vote was split between NDP and Liberals.

So we got rid of the Liberals, but at the expense of electing Ford.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on September 04, 2019, 02:20:15 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on September 03, 2019, 07:03:47 PM
Indeed, my parent's MP has switches sides from NDP to Green. 

It has reinforced their tentative decision to vote Green. Singh has not been a good choice for the NDP.

"not good" is an under statement.
I'm glad the first massive rejection comes from New Brunswick.  Otherwise, the Globe&Mail would have had a field day with "Racist Quebecers massively reject first NDP ethnic leader".
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Quote from: Josephus on September 04, 2019, 02:21:14 PM

Because the Greens are actually progressive.

Camerus

If Justin "Because it's 2015" Trudeau isn't progressive enough for you, your views are probably far enough outside the Canadian mainstream that you have little chance of seeing your preferred party in power anyway.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Camerus on September 04, 2019, 06:50:44 PM
If Justin "Because it's 2015" Trudeau isn't progressive enough for you, your views are probably far enough outside the Canadian mainstream that you have little chance of seeing your preferred party in power anyway.

You mean Justin, this will be the last first past the post federal election, Trudeau?  If you look at his actions there is not much difference between him and Scheer except the last name and the rhetoric.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 04, 2019, 07:27:55 PM

You mean Justin, this will be the last first past the post federal election, Trudeau?  If you look at his actions there is not much difference between him and Scheer except the last name and the rhetoric.
Well, Scheer is walking a fine line, he needs to ensure the ultra religious Christians support, for if they were to pull another Reform Party move, he will watch another 4 years of Justin "Viper told you so" Trudeau, and that will be the end of his political carreer.

On the other hand, he needs to please the moderates real hard, convince them he's not one of them while still being one of them, and avoiding the double talk of past eras in both official languages, since today, with the internet, the news tend to travel a little faster than in the 90s.

crazy canuck

I agree that will be Scheer's issue.  So far he has handled the footage from an old speech on same sex marriage well.  I think we can all reflect on how far our own thinking has come on the issue during the same period of time.

Zoupa

Trudeau talks the talk but never walks the walk.

The pipeline bullshit was the last straw for me.

Grey Fox

So you'll let the racist forced birth demagogue win?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.