News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

true, I forgot about cow farts and pasture land. although I thought that was more for the food industry, of which milk cows only really make up some of the veal market
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 18, 2019, 01:11:08 PM
Scheer owns his leadership of the party to the Milk lobby so this is quite understandable. The lobby is still angry over the latest food guide not promoting milk.

its weird that they have that much power. I checked and there are only 11k dairy farms in canada
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2019, 12:49:40 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 15, 2019, 11:18:21 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2019, 10:10:56 AM
The difference is that there is no societal pressure for one to be uncomfortable with their sex.
Depends on how you define it.

I am not sure what you mean by that.  Are you suggesting that there is societal pressure that someone should feel trapped in the body in which they were born?  It is the other way around. 
If you get a lot of exposure, from the youngest age, to the idea where gender is not defined at birth but it can be "fluid", as you develop any kind of misadaptation trouble, you may start thinking that you are simply wrongly put in someone's else body.   Psychology is non confrontational, they let people live through their fantasy, try to let people get out of it by themselves, and most studies can not be validated properly, so there's a lot of quack therapists out there.

It is a form of societal pressure like any other.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: saskganesh on July 15, 2019, 01:20:18 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 15, 2019, 10:01:34 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on July 14, 2019, 05:07:53 PM
Two!

Anyhow,  a piece from Rick Salutin on the NDP's apparent demise, looking at the past three decades:

https://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/9500642-ndp-or-endp-is-it-over-for-this-radical-canadian-party-/
as the NDP starts to disapears, all the commies will join the Greens and transform it from a relevant, positive, ecological force into a vehicle for leftist purity.

There are no "commies" in the NDP...
Of course.  Of course.   :huh:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2019, 02:09:21 PM
its weird that they have that much power. I checked and there are only 11k dairy farms in canada

It's not so much that they have a lot of raw (milk) power. It's that Bernier's stance on milk quotas was alienating rural voters in Quebec (where about half of the dairy farms are located) - and the milk lobby is quite powerful here. Rural Quebec is an important target for Conservatives, and Scheer had an easy way to distinguish himself from Bernier.
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2019, 12:36:37 PM
The eviroment and climate change deniers? Meh, whatever. But Scheer will be damned if the anti milk lobby isn't stopped

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/lifestylefood/scheer-canadas-food-guide-is-ideologically-driven-doesnt-reflect-science/ar-AAEtHQY?ocid=spartanntp
From what I know, it is totally the opposite: this time, the guide was made without any external pressure and only scientists worked on it.

Of course, you could dispute the nutrional sciences as being quack science, and that would not be that far from the truth ;) , but, it ain't only that.  Regrettably.  :(

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 18, 2019, 02:52:31 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2019, 02:09:21 PM

It's not so much that they have a lot of raw (milk) power. It's that Bernier's stance on milk quotas was alienating rural voters in Quebec (where about half of the dairy farms are located) - and the milk lobby is quite powerful here. Rural Quebec is an important target for Conservatives, and Scheer had an easy way to distinguish himself from Bernier.

It's also that only 141,000 people voted in the Conservative leadership campaign, and that thanks to the goofy system that was imported from the old PC Party those votes are normalized across each constituency, so if 100 people vote in one riding in Quebec, and 1000 people vote in one riding in Alberta, each riding is worth the same number of points.  And of course the Conservatives don't have a huge number of members in Quebec.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

My guess is that this goofy system was designed to ensure the party is truly national.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 18, 2019, 03:47:37 PM
My guess is that this goofy system was designed to ensure the party is truly national.

I would assume so.  Otherwise it would be the Alberta Conservatives Party of Canada.

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 18, 2019, 03:47:37 PM

When the Canadian Alliance and the PC Party merged, it wasn't exactly a merger of equals.  The Alliance had a much larger membership - and a disproportionate amount of those members where in Alberta.  Rather than go with "one member, one vote", they went with this system, which would give any former PC leadership candidate at least a fighting chance.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Trudeau really was in conflict of interest, and he applied undue pressure unto JWR.
http://ciec-ccie.parl.gc.ca/EN/ReportsAndPublications/Pages/TrudeauIIReport.aspx#toc-5

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-snc-ethics-commissioner-violated-code-1.5246551

Not that it matters.  The case is settled, JWR is evil for speaking in public, Liberals will close ranks, like the Republicans do around Trump.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 14, 2019, 04:55:07 PM
Trudeau really was in conflict of interest, and he applied undue pressure unto JWR.
http://ciec-ccie.parl.gc.ca/EN/ReportsAndPublications/Pages/TrudeauIIReport.aspx#toc-5

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-snc-ethics-commissioner-violated-code-1.5246551

Not that it matters.  The case is settled, JWR is evil for speaking in public, Liberals will close ranks, like the Republicans do around Trump.

I don't know, I think this scandal may have legs.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on August 15, 2019, 07:28:00 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 14, 2019, 04:55:07 PM

I don't know, I think this scandal may have legs.

I agree.   Trudeau continues to make unforced errors which demonstrate his lack of ability and of those who advise him.  Note to however is drafting his script  "I disagree with some parts of the report" and "I fully accept the report" don't work well together - especially when said one after the other.

Oexmelin

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 15, 2019, 12:39:43 PMNote to however is drafting his script  "I disagree with some parts of the report" and "I fully accept the report" don't work well together - especially when said one after the other.

I disagree (and quite independently from this case). I tend to think the inability to maintain both simultaneously is part of our current problem in politics. One should be able to note dissidence while accepting responsibility. If only full compliance is necessary to accept responsibility, we find ourselves with ministers who refuse to resign for anything but the most egregious of transgressions, and officials who actively look for loopholes.

Malthus

How would you political observers rate the PM's level of fault in this case? Is this serious corruption, mere mishandling of the matter, or somewhere between?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius