News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

QuoteBut before him you had 8 years of Obama who did little, even when he had control over both houses in 2009-2010.  You have the Chinese Communist Party, whose own plan is to continue to increase CO2 production until 2030.

Well I completely disagree with the characterization here. Both China and Obama have done a ton to promote the technology and R&D we need to make a reduction in CO2 production possible. If we could have the Conservatives get onboard for at least that I would consider that significant progress.

So China and Obama have been insufficient in their efforts. That does not mean that is equivalent to actual obstruction and reactionary thinking.

I don't know enough about India to comment on them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2019, 01:12:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2019, 12:50:00 PM
That is the logic of a party that doesn't believe that the risk of global warming is real.  Don't get me wrong, the Liberals suffer from the same problem - its just that they give it more lip service. 

The maddening thing is the Conservatives could do so much more and be consistent with their business friendly approach to governing.   The economic opportunities related to what needs to occur are significant but all the right wing parties around the world are actively ignoring that opportunity in favour of saving 20th century jobs.

But, as you say, the Conservatives will not think that way because fundamentally they are a party of climate change deniers.

This is not just a right-wing problem.

Sure, you have President Trump in the US who denies climate change.  But before him you had 8 years of Obama who did little, even when he had control over both houses in 2009-2010.  You have the Chinese Communist Party, whose own plan is to continue to increase CO2 production until 2030.  You have India's BJP announcing plans, but very little evidence they've done anything to comply with them.

Didn't I just say, in the very post you quoted, that the Liberals suffer from the same problem?  :P  Frankly, the 'Yeah but what about" defence doesn't work.  Time is too short.

Barrister

PPSC stays charges against Vice Admiral Norman.

Is it perhaps just a coincidence this happens just after retired lieutenant-general Andrew Leslie announces he is going to retire as an MP, and testify for the defence at the Norman trial?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2019, 12:33:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2019, 11:56:53 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2019, 11:40:12 AM
A Pro-capitalist right wing green party is desperately needed. We need green policies to be desired across the political spectrum.

It's frustrating though, because a lot of my fellow conservatives clearly are not worried about the environment, to the point where they almost celebrate pollution.
yeah, same here :(

Why is that? We have a guy here, who's very conservative, libertarian in fact.  he brags how on earth day, he makes sure all his house lights are left on, and drives a gas guzzler and says Global Warming is a hoax. Yet, he's got two young kids, who will undoubtedly be effected more than he or I will.  I can tolerate his libertarian ideals, I don't agree with them, but his anti- clean air stuff really annoys.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on May 08, 2019, 01:26:57 PM
A Pro-capitalist right wing green party is desperately needed. We need green policies to be desired across the political spectrum.

It's frustrating though, because a lot of my fellow conservatives clearly are not worried about the environment, to the point where they almost celebrate pollution.

Why is that? We have a guy here, who's very conservative, libertarian in fact.  he brags how on earth day, he makes sure all his house lights are left on, and drives a gas guzzler and says Global Warming is a hoax. Yet, he's got two young kids, who will undoubtedly be effected more than he or I will.  I can tolerate his libertarian ideals, I don't agree with them, but his anti- clean air stuff really annoys.

He gets to "own the Libs". 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

It is because many on the right are convinced that global warming is either not occurring or if it is, it is not created by human activity. The guy you know has not made the connection that he is actively harming his children with his politics.  I hope the penny drops for people like that, and soon.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

It is frustrating because, a) we leave all this space to the left who can't do squat, b) it is creating long term economic damages that will bite us in the ass.

Can we adapt to climate change and multiple species decline disapearance?  Most likely.  Less humans, more wars&genocides, but we will eventually adapt.  Comparing how it costs in $$$ and human lives to adapt vs to prevent, I prefer prevention.

Many on the right just don't seem to care, like it will always be there, like there's zero costs to adaptation, or worst, that God will save us.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2019, 02:15:08 PM
Look up "rolling coal".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal

I traded in my Camaro for a Prius several years ago.  I once got coal rolled (here in Florida, of course).  Given my profession I thought that was really funny.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Oexmelin

Supreme Justice Clément Gascon is missing.

That doesn't look good.
Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Police say they have found him and he is safe.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2019, 02:15:08 PM
Look up "rolling coal".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal

This really should be illegal.  That is harmful to all other road users.

Valmy

Yeah it is illegal in Texas...ironically I guess since that sounds like something Texans would enjoy doing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2019, 12:09:16 AM
Yeah it is illegal in Texas...ironically I guess since that sounds like something Texans would enjoy doing.

Why do you guys keep badmouthing Texans :weep:

viper37

McKenna wants to declare a climate emergency in Canada.
https://ipolitics.ca/2019/05/14/competing-climate-emergency-motions-set-to-hit-the-house-this-week/

Politically, not a bad move.

It will force the Conservatives to commit or look like they really do not care about global warming.

The NDP and Greens will either look accomplices of the evil capitalist Liberals and sellouts or radicals who can't get onboard anything that does not come from them.

Politically, a good move.

Environmentally, I do not know what more it will change at this point.

What is expected, give emergency power to the Prime Minister in times of emergencies?  Suspend elections until the problem is tackled? Rule by decree? ;)

Like I said, I do not know what more can be done at the Federal level without impeding on provincial rights, or determining what cities need instead of them.

I think we know what we have to do, but we won't examine all solutions because they aren't perfect right now.

We still need oil.  But we can reduce our dependancies on oil: less thermal power plants would be a good start.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.