And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2019, 04:42:02 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 05, 2019, 07:23:46 AM
Polls today are meaningless. It all comes down to what happens the week of the election. I do think Trudeau is in trouble; but anything can happen between today and voting day. Voters have short memories.

Well I disagree that they are meaningless - but obviously a lot can change during an election campaign.

In what way do they have any meaning at all, other than to provide fodder for our 24 hour news shows.

crazy canuck

Big shift in Nanaimo. A safe NDP seat goes decisively Green.

viper37

If the Green and the Conservatives were to merge, that'd be the ideal party... ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2019, 09:49:32 AM
If the Green and the Conservatives were to merge, that'd be the ideal party... ;)

One with the economic policies of the Green Party, and the environmental policies of the Conservatives?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2019, 10:09:18 AM

One with the economic policies of the Green Party, and the environmental policies of the Conservatives?  :hmm:

:lol:

Barrister

It's my understanding that the leader before Elizabeth May kind of tried to do this - very much pro-environment (obviously), but in a more pro-capitalist style, and opposed to the kind of hard left policies that are typically associated with green parties around the world.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

A Pro-capitalist right wing green party is desperately needed. We need green policies to be desired across the political spectrum.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2019, 11:40:12 AM
A Pro-capitalist right wing green party is desperately needed. We need green policies to be desired across the political spectrum.

It's frustrating though, because a lot of my fellow conservatives clearly are not worried about the environment, to the point where they almost celebrate pollution.

That earlier leader of the Canadian Greens (quick google - Jim Harris, 2004-2006) was somewhat controversial with membership, and he didn't last long.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2019, 10:09:18 AM

That could make a great novel idea for your aunt!  Another dystopian universe where men's rights are trampled... :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2019, 11:38:40 AM

It's my understanding that the leader before Elizabeth May kind of tried to do this - very much pro-environment (obviously), but in a more pro-capitalist style, and opposed to the kind of hard left policies that are typically associated with green parties around the world.
Don't know enough about the Federal Green Party, but a loooooong time ago, the Provincial Green Party was like that. Pro-capitalism, pro-environment, conciliating both.  The ecologists refused to work with them because they weren't leftists.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2019, 11:56:53 AM

It's frustrating though, because a lot of my fellow conservatives clearly are not worried about the environment, to the point where they almost celebrate pollution.
yeah, same here :(

crazy canuck

You have identified the thing they need to fix for me to consider them. But I suspect they are going to pander to their carbon tax hating base rather than risk losing support to the PPC.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2019, 12:36:20 PM

You have identified the thing they need to fix for me to consider them. But I suspect they are going to pander to their carbon tax hating base rather than risk losing support to the PPC.

You can understand the logic though.  They're never going to out-green the greens, and Baernier's PPC is a risk.

I do believe that Scheer is going to come out with some kind of climate change policy, though I doubt it will be ambitious.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2019, 12:38:58 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2019, 12:36:20 PM

You can understand the logic though.  They're never going to out-green the greens, and Baernier's PPC is a risk.

I do believe that Scheer is going to come out with some kind of climate change policy, though I doubt it will be ambitious.

That is the logic of a party that doesn't believe that the risk of global warming is real.  Don't get me wrong, the Liberals suffer from the same problem - its just that they give it more lip service. 

The maddening thing is the Conservatives could do so much more and be consistent with their business friendly approach to governing.   The economic opportunities related to what needs to occur are significant but all the right wing parties around the world are actively ignoring that opportunity in favour of saving 20th century jobs.

But, as you say, the Conservatives will not think that way because fundamentally they are a party of climate change deniers.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2019, 12:50:00 PM
That is the logic of a party that doesn't believe that the risk of global warming is real.  Don't get me wrong, the Liberals suffer from the same problem - its just that they give it more lip service. 

The maddening thing is the Conservatives could do so much more and be consistent with their business friendly approach to governing.   The economic opportunities related to what needs to occur are significant but all the right wing parties around the world are actively ignoring that opportunity in favour of saving 20th century jobs.

But, as you say, the Conservatives will not think that way because fundamentally they are a party of climate change deniers.

This is not just a right-wing problem.

Sure, you have President Trump in the US who denies climate change.  But before him you had 8 years of Obama who did little, even when he had control over both houses in 2009-2010.  You have the Chinese Communist Party, whose own plan is to continue to increase CO2 production until 2030.  You have India's BJP announcing plans, but very little evidence they've done anything to comply with them.