News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camerus

The constitutional protection is supposed to protect minorities from an aggressive legislature and their majority neighbours (eg the old example of 2 wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner). If the protection can be overridden so easily, doesn't it makes the protection rather more hollow? In this very instance we have the legislature trampling on minority religious rights in a way that would make Trump blush and the constitutional protections are ineffective to prevent it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on April 06, 2019, 05:50:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 06, 2019, 07:54:30 AM
Quote from: PRC on April 05, 2019, 11:00:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 05, 2019, 09:56:23 PM
Quote from: PRC on April 05, 2019, 08:22:56 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2019, 08:03:51 PM

Sure, this law would not fly in the US.  But I'm wondering out loud if this law is reasonable in a place without a similar religious protection.

Like Canada...

Canada has a law protecting religious freedom...

Quote2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(a) freedom of conscience and religion;
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
(d) freedom of association.

No shit.  Quebec though is a nation within Canada, so the same protections do not apply as evidenced by this banning of religious symbols.  Next they will want to ban poppies!

No, the Charter applies in Quebec.  Quebec has invoked section 33 of the Charter.  The same thing that any other province (or the feds) could do.

What is the point of having a constitutionally protected right if it can be overridden by a legislature?

Not sure if serious?

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2019, 12:20:26 AM
What is the point of having a constitutionally protected right if it can be overridden by a legislature?

What's the point of having an elected legislature if it can't enact the laws it wants to?

You could adopt the principal of limited government and be glad that the legislature's powers are limited.  That's what the US has.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

The American system does inspire a great deal of confidence.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 07, 2019, 10:13:52 AM

What's the point of having an elected legislature if it can't enact the laws it wants to?

You could adopt the principal of limited government and be glad that the legislature's powers are limited.  That's what the US has.

The legislature's powers are pretty broad on a state level, which is what would be comparable here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 07, 2019, 12:33:40 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 07, 2019, 10:13:52 AM

The legislature's powers are pretty broad on a state level, which is what would be comparable here.

I think the main point is the US constitution shifts important political questions to a very small group of people who are appointed for life.  That kind of system only works if only the very best with the very best of intentions are appointed.  But your system has become a battle to see who can appoint judges who will implement specific policies related especially to gun control and abortion.

What looks like a decent system on paper is in practice a terrible system of ensuring important public policy decisions are made by unelected and unaccountable life time appointees.

We have safeguards of non life time appointments and s.33.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Jeez, has someone put a mind control chip in his brain, or is he really this clueless?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2019, 03:59:39 PM
Jeez, has someone put a mind control chip in his brain, or is he really this clueless?

Ooh! Ooh!  Can I try to answer this one?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

He's like a flop sweat gambler doubling his bet after every losing hand.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2019, 04:12:12 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2019, 03:59:39 PM

Ooh! Ooh!  Can I try to answer this one?

The irony is that he won the last election by convincing us his handlers would make decisions for him and were smart enough to make good decisions.

One of those two things is obviously not true.

Oexmelin

They may have bought into their own hype. It wasn't hard to look good on the international scene, and if there is one thing that Canadian journalists crave, it's anxious comparison to the US in order to feel appropriately smug. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 07, 2019, 05:59:28 PM
The irony is that he won the last election by convincing us his handlers would make decisions for him and were smart enough to make good decisions.

One of those two things is obviously not true.

We fall for that stuff all the time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Quote from: Camerus on April 07, 2019, 08:38:37 AM
The constitutional protection is supposed to protect minorities from an aggressive legislature and their majority neighbours (eg the old example of 2 wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner). If the protection can be overridden so easily, doesn't it makes the protection rather more hollow? In this very instance we have the legislature trampling on minority religious rights in a way that would make Trump blush and the constitutional protections are ineffective to prevent it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/beloeil-secularism-bill-caq-1.5087129