News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Disapointed by the Supremer Court.  It seems you can successfully claim you did not know about a court order and it is sufficient to be absolved of contempt.  It seems the 3 judges from Quebec ruled against Gabriel Nadeau Dubois while the 6 from Canada agreed to his defense that he had no idea of a judgement concerning him.  Distateful.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

It is deplorable but the courts really need to be way more proactive about delivering & enforcing judgments.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Oexmelin

Of course, you would champion that would censor those you would consider your political opponents, then whine about freedom of expression the moment it allows your fellow proponents of libarté your favorite rhetorical position of victim.
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 27, 2016, 03:00:16 PM
Of course, you would champion that would censor those you would consider your political opponents, then whine about freedom of expression the moment it allows your fellow proponents of libarté your favorite rhetorical position of victim.
I champion respect of the laws and advocate their change through peaceful demonstration or political action.  I do not caution act of terrorism or any kind of intimidation.  If there is a judgement saying you can't prevent student from attending their classes after bogus votes declaring a strike, then you should respect the ruling and not advocate violence to make it unenforcable.

If right wingers were to act like your clan, I don't think we'd still have a parliament standing.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Young terrorists are dropping the left and the environment for religion as their main cause of rebellion against the State.
Extremism 'motivated by jihadist beliefs' top source of Canadian terrorism since 2010, study says

Don't count on Trudeau to protect us.  Extremism is a personal choice after all.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 27, 2016, 10:01:39 AM
Disapointed by the Supremer Court.  It seems you can successfully claim you did not know about a court order and it is sufficient to be absolved of contempt.  It seems the 3 judges from Quebec ruled against Gabriel Nadeau Dubois while the 6 from Canada agreed to his defense that he had no idea of a judgement concerning him.  Distateful.

I don't know about the specific case you are talking about, but it has always been the law that to be in contempt a person must know the contents of the Court Order they are said to have violated.

Malthus

This will drive you nuts, Viper - The Economist heaps praise on Canada this week:

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21709305-it-uniquely-fortunate-many-waysbut-canada-still-holds-lessons-other-western

QuoteCanada's example to the world

Liberty moves north

It is uniquely fortunate in many ways—but Canada still holds lessons for other Western countries

:D

Also, will annoy our American friends (the cover features a Statue of Liberty bedecked with Canadian symbols)  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Wait the path to liberty is to like monarchy and kings? I am not sure I can accept this heretical attack on my worldview :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2016, 08:52:27 AM
This will drive you nuts, Viper - The Economist heaps praise on Canada this week:

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21709305-it-uniquely-fortunate-many-waysbut-canada-still-holds-lessons-other-western

QuoteCanada's example to the world

Liberty moves north

It is uniquely fortunate in many ways—but Canada still holds lessons for other Western countries

:D

Also, will annoy our American friends (the cover features a Statue of Liberty bedecked with Canadian symbols)  ;)
Sure, compared to President Trump, Trudeau is better.  Even though I don't like Hillary, I'd prefer her over Trudeau though.

The number of refugees admitted was exactly the number Harper had planned to allow.  The rest were sponsored by private individuals.  Hardly a government achievement.  Especially when the immigrant sponsored by the government had to rely on private charity to get basic furnitures and necessities.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2016, 08:57:39 AM
Wait the path to liberty is to like monarchy and kings? I am not sure I can accept this heretical attack on my worldview :hmm:

Liking a modern monarch (who graciously pretends to be a head of state, on the condition that they do no actual governing except in strictly limited and mostly symbolic ways) is, apparently, a good thing.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2016, 08:57:39 AM

The prince is nailing a Canadian. Progress!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on November 01, 2016, 10:33:00 AM

Sure, compared to President Trump, Trudeau is better.  Even though I don't like Hillary, I'd prefer her over Trudeau though.

The number of refugees admitted was exactly the number Harper had planned to allow.  The rest were sponsored by private individuals.  Hardly a government achievement.  Especially when the immigrant sponsored by the government had to rely on private charity to get basic furnitures and necessities.

The briefing article linked to the leader article did mention that Harper wasn't exactly all that different in actual policies to Trudeau. Except on climate change, where Harper was more denier-friendly; also, Trudeau promised deficit spending. 

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21709291-why-canada-still-ease-openness-last-liberals

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2016, 08:41:12 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 27, 2016, 10:01:39 AM

I don't know about the specific case you are talking about, but it has always been the law that to be in contempt a person must know the contents of the Court Order they are said to have violated.
https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/item/16202/index.do#

I think it was impossible for Nadeau-Dubois to not be aware of the court ruling, given it was the talk of the media everywhere and as a public figure he was very aware of everything going on in the media.