News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 11, 2016, 01:59:24 AM
So, then, you were complaining about the Liberals, not about the fact that they are applying a policy you actually support?
I am complaining about the hypocrisy of the Liberal.  The Conservatives did many things I did not agree with, but they never lied: they did what they said they would do.

Am I the only one that still values honesty in politics?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Yes, especially if you are a politician.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

I guess we really have the politicians we deserve.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on October 11, 2016, 09:56:14 AM
I guess we really have the politicians we deserve.

Oh, no.  You deserve far, far worse.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

May your next generation of politicians be of Missouri quality Canada!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 11, 2016, 08:30:56 AM
So, then, you were complaining about the Liberals, not about the fact that they are applying a policy you actually support?
I am complaining about the hypocrisy of the Liberal.  The Conservatives did many things I did not agree with, but they never lied: they did what they said they would do.

Governments that don't lie? Yeah right.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

I know that the article you posted complains about hypocrisy.  But the argument isn't very logical.  The article itself reports that the Liberals repealed the sections of the law they said they would repeal as one of their first acts after being elected?  They never promised to repeal the law that allowed citizenship to be revoked because of fraud or misrepresentation.   So where is the hypocrisy?

So you are not the only one who still values honesty.  But you appear to have a very large axe to grind.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2016, 07:48:50 PM
They never promised to repeal the law that allowed citizenship to be revoked because of fraud or misrepresentation.   So where is the hypocrisy?
they used it much more often than the Conservatives and not only for fraud or misrepresentation.

Are you saying the Liberal government is so good that it now finds much more misrepresentation cases than the previous governments?

All I'm seeing is a classic case of Liberals pandering to extremely vocal immigrant groups to gain their support during the campaign.  Just like having busloads of immigrants sworn in just before election day, with buses to the color of the Liberal Party.  Or driving elderly people to the booth, with minivans to the color of the Liberal Party.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2016, 02:56:11 PM

Governments that don't lie? Yeah right.
Everything is relative.  You have the choice between one presidential candidate that lies 95% of the time one that lies 50% of the time.  You pick the 95% one 'cause he's got pretty hair? ;)

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on October 11, 2016, 10:38:26 PM
They never promised to repeal the law that allowed citizenship to be revoked because of fraud or misrepresentation.   So where is the hypocrisy?
they used it much more often than the Conservatives and not only for fraud or misrepresentation.

Are you saying the Liberal government is so good that it now finds much more misrepresentation cases than the previous governments?

All I'm seeing is a classic case of Liberals pandering to extremely vocal immigrant groups to gain their support during the campaign.  Just like having busloads of immigrants sworn in just before election day, with buses to the color of the Liberal Party.  Or driving elderly people to the booth, with minivans to the color of the Liberal Party.

You cut out the part of his post that refutes your position :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on October 11, 2016, 10:55:48 PM

Nope.  He assumes 100% of the cases are "misreprensentation".  Why the statistical anomaly then? :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 12, 2016, 02:08:52 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 11, 2016, 10:55:48 PM

Nope.  He assumes 100% of the cases are "misreprensentation".  Why the statistical anomaly then? :)

The article you posted states all the revocations are related to cases of fraud.  The complaint by the civil liberties association is that there should be more leniency in those sorts of cases.  They are not making the argument you are making.   You are the one suggesting the Liberals are enforcing a law which no longer exists.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2016, 09:06:23 PM
The article you posted states all the revocations are related to cases of fraud.  The complaint by the civil liberties association is that there should be more leniency in those sorts of cases.  They are not making the argument you are making.   You are the one suggesting the Liberals are enforcing a law which no longer exists.
Let's see.
Let's pose A as the number of Canadians tortured abroad due to misleading/false information by the RCMP and CSIS under Liberal rule.
Let's pose B as the number of Canadians tortured abroad due to misleading/false information by the RCMP and CSIS under Conservative rule.

If A>B, then I have reason to mistrust your party.
If B>A, then you have reason to mistrust my party and I owe you an apology, because obviously, we can trust our authorities under Liberal rule to make sound judgments on who represents a danger or not.

I highly doubt the Federal government has become so efficient at finding new, fraudulent cases and since they are done without hearing, I highly suspect they are cutting corners, as usual.

Hence the hypocrisy of this government.  They denounce a provision that let you remove citizenship for very serious crimes, but then proceed at an accelerated pace to remove citizenship for some Canadian citizens with dual citizenship, without giving much details as to what happens and without a fair hearing.  And we are supposed to trust them blindly, while they made so many mistakes in the past.

Fraud and misrepresentation, that could apply to a certain Liberal minister who declared of place of birth as Afghanistan while she was in fact born in Iran.  I believe it was an honest mistake and she did not even know about it herself until very recently.  But for someone who isn't a cabinet minister, would the immigration authorities be so lenient?  In the past, under Liberal rule, they weren't.  People well integrated in their society, having children born here, but who committed a small mistake on their form ended up being deported.  Now with the Libs, they're doing it even more often than it used to be done.  And you trust them blindly, despite their past track record. 

I will never, never, never trust a Liberal, federal or provincial.  A friend of mine made the mistake of trusting them, and his father was as naive as he was.  He too didn't listen to me at first.  Now, he understands and he is disgusted with politics.

crazy canuck

I think you have gone off the deep end.  Can you give a more concise answer to the question of how it is the government can enforce a law that has been repealed?