News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2016, 10:38:06 AM
The day his Faith contradicts with his duties as Defence Minister, I know he will side with his Faith, since he's unable to make the smallest compromise now.

What exactly is involved in this hypothetical day?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2016, 10:42:11 AM
The day his Faith contradicts with his duties as Defence Minister, I know he will side with his Faith, since he's unable to make the smallest compromise now.

And will it somehow involve hats and beards?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2016, 10:41:40 AM
The Liberals are still fighting the good fights, trying to end this recession by spending, spending and spending.  One day it will work!

200 000$ for moving two people, 1 million$ for 40 (French text)

Great government we have there :)  CC must be very proud of his choice, they will save us! One day! :)

I am fighting right now to save the State of Texas 20 million dollars on a project and some politician, a Republican no less, wrote me saying that I needed to stop bothering with such a small amount of money  :wacko:

I was tempted to write back and say 'well if you feel that way I could use a raise'

So I doubt the Government of Canada is losing much sleep over that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 22, 2016, 10:43:36 AM

Canada's security will require the bombing of Amritsar.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2016, 10:33:35 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2016, 10:27:18 AM
I really don't get where you're going with Harjit Sajjan here viper.
Use Google Translate for the article.

The Sikh refused to wear a protective hat, saying it's incompatible with their Faith.  The Port of Montreal provided pictures of another Sikh wearing a protective helmet.  It happens to be Harjit Sajjan.  Could have been someone else, somewhere else, but the defense used it to claim that it wasn't obviously incompatible with the Sikh Faith to wear protective head gear.

The court has recognized that it is a violation of their religion, it is discrimination, but it is superceded by the necessity of protecting themselves and insuring work safety rules (provincial rules) are respected.

Once it gets to the Supreme Court, it will most likely decide that a Federal law (the Charter) supercedes any provincial legislation and as such, excempt the Sikh from wearing protective headgear, while still maintaining the employers responsibility in case of an accident (since it's a provincial law).

Now, if the Court decides that the Quebec's Superior court was indeed right, whose to say the Trudeau government will not make some new rule to circumvent this judgement as a way to reinforce Canadian multiculturalism?

Where to begin...

First of all the Charter is not a "Federal law".  It's the Constitution.  It governs all levels of government.

It's not a matter of freedom of religion automatically trumping any other law.  It's a question of "reasonable accommodation".

If the Supreme Court finds that Quebec Superior Court is right, there's nothing Trudeau can do about it.  It's a question of provincial jurisdiction (as long as it is subject to the Charter).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 11:01:05 AM

:o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

I don't know.  It could be anything.  He's unwilling to compromise now, he'll be unwilling to compromise in the future.  That's a risk I would not have taken, personally, for such an important position in government.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 10:58:46 AM
So I doubt the Government of Canada is losing much sleep over that.
Imho, there are no small economies.  This is the same party that pestered a Conservative minister for having an 8$ orange juice.

When you lead, you need to show some restraints on your personal expenses.

It's not a matter of money, short of a few billion dollars, nothing would seriously affect Canada's finances.  But it's a powerful symbol that these guys think of themselves as some kind of aristocracy while we pay for their benefits.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2016, 01:40:16 PM

I don't know.  It could be anything.  He's unwilling to compromise now, he'll be unwilling to compromise in the future.  That's a risk I would not have taken, personally, for such an important position in government.

It could be anything? Huh? You are all up in arms because something could possible happen sometime because of a person's religion? There are a lot of people in positions in government who would be unwilling to compromise on some hypothetical issues that don't involve religion.

I'm sorry but unless you actually have more thoughts on this, you are being ridiculous.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2016, 11:01:18 AM
If the Supreme Court finds that Quebec Superior Court is right, there's nothing Trudeau can do about it.  It's a question of provincial jurisdiction (as long as it is subject to the Charter).
We'll see.  I don't trust the Libs for one minute.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2016, 01:43:25 PM

It could be anything? Huh? You are all up in arms because something could possible happen sometime because of a person's religion? There are a lot of people in positions in government who would be unwilling to compromise on some hypothetical issues that don't involve religion.

I'm sorry but unless you actually have more thoughts on this, you are being ridiculous.
Robin Camp sat on Alberta provincial court when he asked, 'Couldn't you just keep your knees together?'

This is a fundamentalist religious individual who managed to get up there likely due to his religious convictions and he was unwilling to let his religion aside to exercise his job properly.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-judge-judical-review-robin-camp-1.3311574

It's not the first time it happenned, but afaik, it's the first time a judge is put under judicial review for such comments.

It's one of many exemple where religious zealots should not hold any kind of position of power if they're unwilling to compromise on their faith.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2016, 01:51:35 PM

Robin Camp sat on Alberta provincial court when he asked, 'Couldn't you just keep your knees together?'

This is a fundamentalist religious individual who managed to get up there likely due to his religious convictions and he was unwilling to let his religion aside to exercise his job properly.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-judge-judical-review-robin-camp-1.3311574

It's not the first time it happenned, but afaik, it's the first time a judge is put under judicial review for such comments.

It's one of many exemple where religious zealots should not hold any kind of position of power if they're unwilling to compromise on their faith.

Given my line of work I've heard quite a bit about this particular judge (though he was in Calgary and I have never appeared in front of him).  I've never, ever heard him described as a 'religious fundamentalist', and I don't see why his completely unacceptable comments have anything to do with religion.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2016, 11:08:26 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2016, 11:01:05 AM

:o

You have to admit that would be a pretty big conflict. Just ask Indira Ghandi's bodyguards. Now why bombing an otherwise insignificant place in India would be key to Canada's security is another matter :P

Malthus

That's gotta be one of the most bizarre leaps of assumption I've seen yet.  :lol:

Robin Camp isn't the stereotypical  Alberta hardcore fundie Christian Viper appears to assume.

In fact, he's an immigrant. An *African* immigrant. Well, a White African immigrant from South Africa.  ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Camp

A part of his problem appears to be this: he was appointed to the bench based on his strength as an Oil & Gas litigation practice. By his own account, he knew nothing of criminal law.

There is, needless to say, exactly zero evidence he was or is a "religious zealot". Much less, that this mythical zealotry was what got him appointed to the bench!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2016, 01:55:43 PM

Given my line of work I've heard quite a bit about this particular judge (though he was in Calgary and I have never appeared in front of him).  I've never, ever heard him described as a 'religious fundamentalist', and I don't see why his completely unacceptable comments have anything to do with religion.

It was in La Presse. He is from a fundamentalist religious organization that has pushed other judges and politicians too.
His comments stems from most fundies views on rape: it's the fault of the woman.

Les regrets du juge Camp

Mais cette attitude a-t-elle été, au départ, l'une des raisons mêmes pour lesquelles il s'est retrouvé juge? Avant sa nomination, il siégeait au Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms, un organisme albertain de droite qui épouse justement les valeurs et les croyances qu'il a exprimées dans la fameuse cause.
But was this attitude, in the beginning, one of the reasons why he was named judge?  Before his nomination, he seated at the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms, a rightwing albertan organization that espouses the values&beliefs he expressed in this case.

This organization seems to specializes in defending extreme christian views:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_Centre_for_Constitutional_Freedoms