And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2016, 07:08:39 AM
And Viper says that Quebec isn't royalist  :P
he ain't from Quebec.  He spent his adult life in BC, in childhood in Ottawa.  He only came back to Quebec to find a safe riding in Montreal.  He doesn't even live in his riding, he had a house in Ottawa, but he could still claim travelling expenses between Ottawa and Montreal and an allocation for a secondary residence.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2016, 09:32:20 AM
he ain't from Quebec.  He spent his adult life in BC, in childhood in Ottawa.  He only came back to Quebec to find a safe riding in Montreal.  He doesn't even live in his riding, he had a house in Ottawa, but he could still claim travelling expenses between Ottawa and Montreal and an allocation for a secondary residence.

Besides, you would never be false to your fealty to the rightful Royals who live in the UK.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 23, 2016, 09:28:15 AM
It's time to take a leaf from Trump's book and build a wall across the Canadian border, folks - in one day, we were invaded by 1,500 illegal American border-crossers!  :(

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/us-partiers-wash-up-in-canada-blown-across-lake-st-clair/ar-BBvUSyJ

Some Americans, worried about landing in Canada without identification, attempted to swim back to the U.S.
They were right to fear us.  Canada has a reputation for shooting refugees on sight, after all...

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2016, 09:42:50 AM
It's time to take a leaf from Trump's book and build a wall across the Canadian border, folks - in one day, we were invaded by 1,500 illegal American border-crossers!  :(

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/us-partiers-wash-up-in-canada-blown-across-lake-st-clair/ar-BBvUSyJ

Some Americans, worried about landing in Canada without identification, attempted to swim back to the U.S.
They were right to fear us.  Canada has a reputation for shooting refugees on sight, after all...
I keep forgetting I am a monarchist, thanks for reminding me! ;)

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2016, 09:46:19 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2016, 09:42:50 AM

I keep forgetting I am a monarchist, thanks for reminding me! ;)

:hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2016, 09:32:20 AM

Yeah and Queen Victoria was German. It is just how Royals roll.

Anyway I hope you show proper deference to future-PM Ella-Grace Trudeau.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

As long as Americans pay for it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on August 23, 2016, 10:32:29 AM
As long as Americans pay for it.

At least the right of way is already cleared.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote"They were terrified of entering another country without documentation. No one carries their passport or any ID, and a lot were drinking alcohol," Garapick said.

Is Canada all that terrifying? I feel like that Canadian is fibbing.

edit: comment section says people were afraid they couldn't get back into US.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

An interesting (well, to me, but I'm inflicting it on everyone here) bit of news: the African Episcopal Church has been restored and reopened, to much fanfare.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2016/08/19/descendants-of-african-settlers-in-oro-on-hand-for-grand-reopening-of-historic-church

This structure is of historical interest: it's the last remnant of the Black population in Oro country, who were composed primarily of escaped slaves who helped the Brits fight in the War of 1812 and were granted land here, with their families (to act as a bulwark against the Americans! The idea was that, being Black, they would fight all the harder should the Americans attempt to invade again, for fear of being enslaved).

The Church is, allegedly, one of the oldest African wooden churches still standing in North America. Sadly, the community that supported the Church died out, the last descendent of the original Black settlers left in the 1940s. The reason: the area isn't actually that good for farmland, and it was remote from anywhere. 

Why I care about it: it was a fixture in my childhood. Growing up, the route my dad took to get to his Simcoe County cottage was past this church, which is in the middle of nowhere; we would sometimes stop to investigate it as it had a historic marker, but I don't think I ever saw a single other person stop to look at it. When I last saw it, it looked on its last legs as a building, so it is a good thing they have restored it. 

viper37

pub capab' = slang for "can't handle it anymore"
dépenses = expenses.

Valmy

Josephus

Well we had a lot of fun with Harper in this thread. So long, I'll miss him.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

viper37

So, the unambitious targets for GHG reduction adopted by the Conservatives would apparently require such an herculean effort that the Liberals have decided to stick with it.

Of course, nothing will come of it.  No matter what the left does, it's always right.