News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

The blondes way more into it than the brunette.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on July 26, 2016, 10:41:05 AM

It is important to address the issues of real significance in this debate!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Blondes always have more fun.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2016, 10:49:24 AM

It is important to address the issues of real significance in this debate!  :D
oil, shmoil, boobs are what make the world go round :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Brunette is the top.  They're not supposed to appear too eager.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 26, 2016, 10:34:07 AM
Green energy doesn't address oil consumption unless you plan on transitioning to electric vehicles.
It's starting.  Slowly, it's making its way.  Won't happen in the next decade, but we'll get there in a quarter of a century.

But I was under the impression Canada was a major oil producer. Why are you importing?
By decree of the Federal governement, under Pierre-Elliot Trudeau, it was forbidden for eastern refineries to use western oil*.  It was done to give an advantage to Ontario and screw Quebec.  Typical Liberal bullshit.

It's been reversed now, but just to reverse a fracking pipeline, it takes forever.  Let's not even consider a new one.
And there's the green nuts.  Alberta's sand oil are supposedly more polluting than anything else, so we can't touch it.

*Any oil west of Ottawa river was to be refined west of Ottawa river.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on July 26, 2016, 02:42:47 PM

By decree of the Federal governement, under Pierre-Elliot Trudeau, it was forbidden for eastern refinery to use western oil.  It was done to give an advantage to Ontario and screw Quebec.  Typical Liberal bullshit.

I know I'll regret asking, but - how can an alleged decision not to use eastern refineries to refine western oil give an advantage to Ontario, which has neither refineries nor oil?  :hmm:

I guess the one advantage is no pipelines crossing Ontario, but other than that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2016, 02:47:05 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 26, 2016, 02:42:47 PM

By decree of the Federal governement, under Pierre-Elliot Trudeau, it was forbidden for eastern refinery to use western oil.  It was done to give an advantage to Ontario and screw Quebec.  Typical Liberal bullshit.

I know I'll regret asking, but - how can an alleged decision not to use eastern refineries to refine western oil give an advantage to Ontario, which has neither refineries nor oil?  :hmm:

I guess the one advantage is no pipelines crossing Ontario, but other than that.

... and how does it favour Quebec over Ontario?

I mean, I'm used to hearing complaints that PET screwed "the West" (meaning Alberta)... but in reality, it was about screwing over Quebec?

Valmy

Maybe the refineries denied that sweet sweet oil sands crude are all located in Quebec?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on July 26, 2016, 03:12:44 PM

I mean, I'm used to hearing complaints that PET screwed "the West" (meaning Alberta)... but in reality, it was about screwing over Quebec?

Apparently, if you dig deep enough, PET screwed over everyone in Canada - to favour someone else in Canada.  :D

viper37

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_refineries#Ontario

At the time, it costed more to import oil than to refine canadian oil.  Ontarian refineries were complaining they had to import oil to meet their production quotas, so they were given cheap oil from the West.  Theoritically, the whole plan was to give Canadians cheap oil.  But in reality, it was to screw Quebec and Alberta, to make them economically dependant from Canada.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 26, 2016, 03:18:12 PM
Maybe the refineries denied that sweet sweet oil sands crude are all located in Quebec?
Quebec had more refineries at the time.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2016, 03:24:43 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 26, 2016, 03:12:44 PM

Apparently, if you dig deep enough, PET screwed over everyone in Canada - to favour someone else in Canada.  :D
that's the story of the Liberal party, a proud tradition.  Trudeau the younger keeps doing the same bullshit, and everyone loves him for that.  I'll never understand Liberal voters.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on July 26, 2016, 04:07:48 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_refineries#Ontario

At the time, it costed more to import oil than to refine canadian oil.  Ontarian refineries were complaining they had to import oil to meet their production quotas, so they were given cheap oil from the West.  Theoritically, the whole plan was to give Canadians cheap oil.  But in reality, it was to screw Quebec and Alberta, to make them economically dependant from Canada.

So the claim is that Western oil was allowed to go to these Ontario refineries, but not to Quebec refineries?

crazy canuck

So all those Albertans back in the day got it all wrong.  The NEP was not designed to screw them, it was a fiendishly clever plot to only appear to be screwing Alberta but its true secret objective was to screw Quebec.  Was there no limit to the evil genius of Trudeau?

I suppose Viper that the extreme price shocks the NEP was designed to address didnt have anything to do with the refineries in Quebec experiencing financial trouble?   They were after all built during a period of cheap oil from foreign markets - something that changed dramatically ;)