News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

CC, your relentless Trudeau-is-a-dilettante propaganda has had an effect. Well, that or perhaps his actions bear it out. In any case, he's beginning to look like that to me.

And like you said, I'm not convinced that the NDP can win either. As for the Cons, it depends on their attempts at renewal... or will Harper lead them in the next election too? What's the scuttlebutt there?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 20, 2014, 02:53:20 PM
CC, your relentless Trudeau-is-a-dilettante propaganda has had an effect. Well, that or perhaps his actions bear it out. In any case, he's beginning to look like that to me.

And like you said, I'm not convinced that the NDP can win either. As for the Cons, it depends on their attempts at renewal... or will Harper lead them in the next election too? What's the scuttlebutt there?

Harper will lead them in the next election.  There isn't the slightest hint of a rumour otherwise.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2014, 02:59:38 PM

Harper will lead them in the next election.  There isn't the slightest hint of a rumour otherwise.

Agreed. 

@Jacob,

As you may recall I was willing to give Trudeau some consideration.  I think I have a post in this thread somewhere about how stupid I felt for having thought that.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2014, 03:11:01 PM
@Jacob,

As you may recall I was willing to give Trudeau some consideration.  I think I have a post in this thread somewhere about how stupid I felt for having thought that.

Yes I recall :)

Barrister

Besides, I can't even think of anyone who I'd want to replace him.  Peter MacKay?  Meh.  Jason Kenney?  Very competent, but always struck me as a bit creepy for some reason.  Tony Clement?  Man, he might be the best name I can come up with, and I'm not sure I like it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2014, 03:23:34 PM

Besides, I can't even think of anyone who I'd want to replace him.  Peter MacKay?  Meh.  Jason Kenney?  Very competent, but always struck me as a bit creepy for some reason.  Tony Clement?  Man, he might be the best name I can come up with, and I'm not sure I like it.

I can think of a number would would want to.  I can think of no one who would be able to.  The only person who would have been capable didnt want the job and died far too young.

Barrister

And who would that be?

Oh, and I can think of one person who I'd like to see have the job, though 72 might be too old at this point. :ph34r:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2014, 03:37:03 PM
And who would that be?

Oh, and I can think of one person who I'd like to see have the job, though 72 might be too old at this point. :ph34r:

Peter Mackay, Oliver, Raitt, Baird, Moore etc.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2014, 03:42:21 PM
And who would that be?

I think he was asking about the person who didn't want the job and died too young.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 20, 2014, 03:43:47 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2014, 03:42:21 PM
And who would that be?

I think he was asking about the person who didn't want the job and died too young.

Indeed.

crazy canuck

Sorry.  Thought that was obvious.  Flaherty.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2014, 03:48:28 PM
Sorry.  Thought that was obvious.  Flaherty.

Ah.  I had forgotten he had died. :(

Jacob

CC, do you read BC Business Magazine? BB, Neil and other Albertans, do you read the Alberta Venture Report? They have a pretty good feature section on the pipeline issues right now. Seemed pretty balanced, if perhaps inclined to cast the premiers of both provinces and their parties as reasonable.

Barrister

Sorry Jacob, don't regularly read it, and it doesn't look like the story is up on their website yet.

Josephus

I think there's some merit to the Globe article, but I don't think it's all that novel. I think in many elections people have shied away from voting NDP for that reason. I know I have. In my riding there have been times where I thought the only candidate capable of defeating the conservative is the Liberal, in which case I would vote for that candidate. But generally, as well, there's a strong sense that voting NDP is a waste of a vote. Ironically, that might be why they did so well last time around, because it was a protest vote.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011