News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Good for the G&M. I'm pleased that referring to facts to counter half-truths, spin, and hysteria still has currency in our media.

Josephus

That's why newspapers continue to play an important role in news reporting, and everyone one of you should support this by taking out subscirptions to at least two national dailies and at least one weekly, preferably an ethnic weekly with a Hebraic persuasion.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 18, 2014, 11:22:39 AM
That's why newspapers continue to play an important role in news reporting, and everyone one of you should support this by taking out subscirptions to at least two national dailies and at least one weekly, preferably an ethnic weekly with a Hebraic persuasion.

:lol:

As mentioned, I grew up the son of a newspaperman, and where available we always had both dailies home delivered.

Earlier this year I started getting the Journal delivered daily, and then on weekends.  But I found I just never read it, or when I did the news felt so old compared to what I'd already read on the internet. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I pay for the online subscriptions  :smarty:

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2014, 05:18:04 PM
Back when I was more politically involved, the Liberal Party was a unified organization.  If you bought a Liberal Party membership you were a member of both the Provincial and Federal wings.  The Manitoba Party was styled the Liberal Party in Manitoba (rather than "of Manitoba).  Of course I was active in Reform, which had no provincial wings, and eventually got involved with the Manitoba PCs.  The Manitoba PCs shared some informal resources with their federal counterparts, but nothing formal like dollars or membership lists.

But of course those informal connections can be huge.  One person with a good list of volunteers or fundraisers can make a huge difference.
Quebec has had distinct membership since before I was born, probably since before my father was born.

That does not mean though that both membership base aren't almost similar and cabinet ministers shuffling from the provincial party to the federal party when one or the other ends up in the opposition.
But they are two distinct membership.

I always thought the lines were blurred all accross Canada, I'm glad to see it isn't the case in BC :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on November 17, 2014, 10:44:34 PM
Good for the G&M. I'm pleased that referring to facts to counter half-truths, spin, and hysteria still has currency in our media.
True, the memo never explicitely stated muslims.

But they said that:
a) teachers should be ready to prepare alternate activities for those who do not wish to attend
b) you can not simply "wish not to attend", you need an "exemption based on religion".

Wich religion would not support Remembrance day?  Jeovah's Witnesses, maybe?  Some weird ultra-pacifist christian sects?  Or some muslim group?

Remembrance day 2011: Muslims against crusaded banned

I hate defending Levant, but he wasn't totally off-base, as the G&M suggests, on that one.  If anything, he called the shot right: a school going out of its way to accomodate miniroty students on silly religious exemption.

If you're going to provide an exemption, don't make it religion-based.  Anyone who do not wish to participate in these activities can do something else.  Doesn't matter if they're Christians, Jews, Muslims or Atheists.  Or don't give a day off to participate in these celebrations but instead mark it in a special way at school, with special activities, where everyone participates.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 18, 2014, 01:19:22 PM
I receive subscriptions for more magazines than I can read, but I don't pay for newspapers.  I read them if they are free, or if I'm at a restaurant.

Monoriu

You've got to be kidding.  I haven't paid for news ever since I connected to the internet  :showoff:

Maximus

You have, just not out of your bank account.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on November 19, 2014, 06:42:30 PM

I've paid in strips of flesh. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Josephus

The ethnic paper of a Hebraic persuasion doesn't really take bacon.

Monoriu

Quote from: Maximus on November 19, 2014, 06:42:30 PM

That's good enough for me.  All of my stuff are for sale  :lol: