News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Hey CC - fair play to the BC Liberals for reforming some of our archaic liquor laws :cheers:

Maximus

Quote from: Monoriu on November 19, 2014, 07:18:28 PM
That's good enough for me.  All of my stuff are for sale  :lol:

"For sale" implies that you're getting paid for it.

Monoriu

Quote from: Maximus on November 19, 2014, 09:53:42 PM

I sell my online habits, I get news. 

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on November 19, 2014, 09:53:42 PM

I wish I was getting paid for it. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2014, 08:42:11 PM
Hey CC - fair play to the BC Liberals for reforming some of our archaic liquor laws :cheers:
what changed?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on November 20, 2014, 10:54:36 AM
what changed?

They're allowing alcohol sales in super markets.

Though reading up on it, it's not quite that grand because it apparently only applies if the store is a mile or more away from a state owned liquor shop and that means - apparently - that only two supermarkets in Vancouver qualify.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 20, 2014, 12:22:06 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 20, 2014, 10:54:36 AM
what changed?

They're allowing alcohol sales in super markets.

Though reading up on it, it's not quite that grand because it apparently only applies if the store is a mile or more away from a state owned liquor shop and that means - apparently - that only two supermarkets in Vancouver qualify.

That is the worst of the changes imo but at least they put on restrictions so that it won't drive the small private owners out of business. 

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2014, 12:25:05 PMThat is the worst of the changes imo but at least they put on restrictions so that it won't drive the small private owners out of business.

What are the best of the changes, in your opinion?

... and the changes in licensing laws for bars etc in Vancouver are from City Hall, not Victoria, right?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 20, 2014, 12:27:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2014, 12:25:05 PMThat is the worst of the changes imo but at least they put on restrictions so that it won't drive the small private owners out of business.

What are the best of the changes, in your opinion?

... and the changes in licensing laws for bars etc in Vancouver are from City Hall, not Victoria, right?

All the liquor licensing decisions are Provincial not municipal.  The only role municipalities have are zoning restrictions on businesses.  It is the Provincial Liquor Licensing branch which inspects and enforces liquor licensing.  I used to do a fair amount of work in front of that tribunal. :)

The changes I like best are the loosening of restrictions on micro breweries in terms of the volumes they can produce and sell.  I also like the loosening on the restrictions on what private merchants can sell independant of the government supplier.  It used to be that all liquor purchased in this province had to come though the Province's liquor distribution system.  Those were dark days indeed.  Slowly we have moved away form that kind of system and the recent changes will, I think, make the supply of liquor outside that supply system much easier and efficient.

Jacob

Yeah, it is getting better and Victoria gets credit for that for sure.

The granting of additional licenses in the city is from City Hall, though, right? What about the more flexible hours of operation? City Hall or Victoria?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 20, 2014, 12:45:04 PM
Yeah, it is getting better and Victoria gets credit for that for sure.

The granting of additional licenses in the city is from City Hall, though, right? What about the more flexible hours of operation? City Hall or Victoria?

Hours of operation is a sort of joint issue.  All liquor licensing has hours of operation restrictions which include restrictions on when alcohol may be served. Municipalities have bylaws of general application to all businesses regarding hours of operation which are normally contained in things like noise bylaws.  The number of available licenses is strictly controlled by the liquor licensing branch.  The City of course has its Zoning requirements which cannot requlate matters outside the jurisdiction of the City.   To put it another way, if you know of someone who is having trouble with the City even though they have all the necessary Liquor Licensing approvals - you should get them to call me.  :D

Jacob

crazy canuck

An interesting piece in the Globe suggesting that as voters grow more weary of the Cons and more wary of Trudeau, the NDP have a real shot at winning.  He proposes that the NDPs real problem is that very few people think they can win.

As I was reading it was thinking thinking about you Josephus and the interesting choice your political demographic faces :)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/thomas-mulcair-new-democrats/article21666239/

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2014, 02:25:30 PM
An interesting piece in the Globe suggesting that as voters grow more weary of the Cons and more wary of Trudeau, the NDP have a real shot at winning.  He proposes that the NDPs real problem is that very few people think they can win.

As I was reading it was thinking thinking about you Josephus and the interesting choice your political demographic faces :)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/thomas-mulcair-new-democrats/article21666239/

The "Kang vs. Kodos" effect.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAT_BuJAI70
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius