News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I hate how Anglo-Saxon vocabulary (or at least the idea of it) has become a signal for white supremacy/ xenophobia :(

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2022, 07:07:42 PMI can only assume simple Anglo-Saxon words doesn't have the same meaning in Canada as it does here :lol:

That's why it is a dog whistle.  He means he says things that appeal to white freedom convoy base.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2022, 07:31:25 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 18, 2022, 03:52:58 PMIn response to Mason's piece on how dangerous Pollivre's politics are, you choose to reinforce the point by justifying what happened to Singh.
Mason's piece is typical on how Liberal supporters view Canadian politics: everything bad that happens is the Conservative's fault.

If Singh has problems with his supporters calling him a traitor, maybe he should seek to speak to his supporters?
If he has a problem with mob politics, maybe he should not support the people who use it the most often?

It is hard to blame anyone but the Conservatives for the fact that Poilievre is so popular within the Conservative party.

And it is hard to deny that his politics embolden the racists.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 18, 2022, 08:03:02 PMIt is hard to blame anyone but the Conservatives for the fact that Poilievre is so popular within the Conservative party.

And yet, some folks will attempt it.

Sheilbh

I think it's different here. Short, simple Anglo-Saxon = swearing :lol:

Not sure he's saying his success is done to dropping f-bombs and c-bombs everywhere.

(And that's also unfair to call those words choice Anglo-Saxon - they're almost all later and English. The Anglo-Saxons cursed religiously - probably as you'd expect.)

QuoteI hate how Anglo-Saxon vocabulary (or at least the idea of it) has become a signal for white supremacy/ xenophobia :(
Same with Vikings, Rome, Greece - basically everything Paradox have made a game about. Never quite sure how to respond to it.

Although surely in the context of Canada it also has an anti-Quebec angle, or just race?
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Yeah, I'm familiar with the UK meaning of "simple Anglo-Saxon = swearing"...

In white supremacist circles "Anglo-Saxon" goes with "we were more white in the past" and "English is more white" and all the racist pseudo-history fantasy that white supremacists like to indulge in.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2022, 07:51:52 PMI was wrong. Kenneybwins with 51% and resigns.

Good riddance to the worst Provincial Premier in Canadian history.

Since 2004 there have been seven Alberta Premiers... only Rachel Notley has served a full term.  Hopefully Albertan's learn from that and do not elect another Conservative in the next election, but of course they won't. 

Grey Fox

I wonder what Viper's world view would be if the FTQ hadn't fucked his dad company all these years ago.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

He's conservative so I assume he'd always hate unions.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 18, 2022, 09:16:43 PMI wonder what Viper's world view would be if the FTQ hadn't fucked his dad company all these years ago.
It was my company too.  And I had a couple of run in with these scums too, so did some employees and former employees.

If you remember, some years ago, we had a great inquiry board in Quebec, mainly about the construction industry.  It was only the tip of the iceberg, you know.  Actually, there were two inquiry boards in recent years, about this industry and one before I was born.  All 3 pointed fingers at the FTQ for its criminal activity.  The union still exists, its leadership was left intact.

Do you remember the threats (physical threats of violence) left on a voice-mail for a then Liberal Minister of Work relations by FTQ guys?  Whatever happened after that?  Nothing.  When the FTQ sabotaged Videotron's infrastructure, what happened to the union?  Nothing.  When the FTQ set house on fires during its regular strikes, what happens?  Nothing.  When a dozen FTQ members visit a construction site to tell workers they had better leave work now or else, what happens?  Nothing.

This is all perfectly fine for leftwing politicians.  The PQ, QS and the NDP all accepted illegal help from the FTQ and the CSN (whom, btw, tried to send explosive expert to demolish Manoir Richelieu during a work conflict, and again, nothing happened, GĂ©rald Larose was always viewed as a great man, even got a carreer in medias after he quitted the CSN).

So, when I hear commentors and politicians from the left complain about violence by supposed rightwingers: fuck off.  They get what they deserve and I have zero sympathy for them.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on May 18, 2022, 09:31:16 PMHe's conservative so I assume he'd always hate unions.
I was once naive and thought a union could be reasoned with, just like they thought us in school.  Working in the public sector, I can see first hand how they can easily be a nuisance with their ridiculous demands to management.  Ah, well, not my city, not my problem.

In other news, I know BB has talked of Brian Jean a few times here, but I can't remember anything about him.  Don't know if he'll be the top candidate for Kenney's replacement or someone else is seen as a natural successor.  In any case, I'd better leave him to discuss the details of all this. :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2022, 08:08:22 PMI think it's different here. Short, simple Anglo-Saxon = swearing :lol:

Not sure he's saying his success is done to dropping f-bombs and c-bombs everywhere.

(And that's also unfair to call those words choice Anglo-Saxon - they're almost all later and English. The Anglo-Saxons cursed religiously - probably as you'd expect.)

QuoteI hate how Anglo-Saxon vocabulary (or at least the idea of it) has become a signal for white supremacy/ xenophobia :(
Same with Vikings, Rome, Greece - basically everything Paradox have made a game about. Never quite sure how to respond to it.

Although surely in the context of Canada it also has an anti-Quebec angle, or just race?

I think the piece you are missing is that appeals to something called Anglo Saxon traditions has become a common tool of the right as part of their pandering to White supremacists.

Take a look at the guiding principles of the America First caucus as an example. 

That is what Poilievre is appealing to when he says he is using Anglo Saxon words.

HVC

Protestant anglosaxons. They hate Catholics too. Not white enough.

@ viper I hate construction unions too (they're all mobbed up), other unions are hit or miss. I always thought that Quebec unions were so strong because of their very pro francophone stance, but I could be wrong.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 18, 2022, 08:03:02 PMIt is hard to blame anyone but the Conservatives for the fact that Poilievre is so popular within the Conservative party.

I have yet to see him promoting racism.  Supporting a populist movement, sure.  Supporting racism, I'm waiting for specific quotes.

That Poilievre is popular within the Conservative Party and has managed to censor his most prominent critique is disturbing.  But blaming him for everything bad that happens in this country is beyond stupid.  There's no link between the protesters who verbally assaulted their party leader for abandoning them and PP.  One, There's no shred of evidence these were Conservatives, and two, these kind of things happened way before PP became a Conservative Party member.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2022, 10:00:13 PM

I have yet to see him promoting racism.  Supporting a populist movement, sure.  Supporting racism, I'm waiting for specific quotes.

That Poilievre is popular within the Conservative Party and has managed to censor his most prominent critique is disturbing.  But blaming him for everything bad that happens in this country is beyond stupid.  There's no link between the protesters who verbally assaulted their party leader for abandoning them and PP.  One, There's no shred of evidence these were Conservatives, and two, these kind of things happened way before PP became a Conservative Party member.

Then open your eyes