News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Sure.  And didn't prevent the Liberals and their supporters to keep saying they had a hidden agenda.  See Oex' posts around that time, it's filled with this talk of a hidden agenda.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 05, 2022, 01:33:01 PMWhat HVC said.  We had the Reform Party who couldn't win a seat east of Manitoba and the old Conservative Party who ran second in most races.  This insured the domination of the Liberals for 12 years.

Reform Party did win one seat east of Manitoba in 1993 - it was in Simcoe, Ontario.

Reform also out-performed the PCS in Ontario (though not enough that the Liberals didn't wind up winning).  PCs only came in second in the Maritimes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2022, 12:06:39 PMI wish Berkut would read this thread once a while.

The left needs to go to the centre but it's ok for the right to being dragged kicking & screaming always further right.

*sigh
It's not like the left is happy to go to the center.  There's lot a screaming and screeching there too.  Lots of ranting against the moderates.  It's not like the Bernie Bros are good, solid, reliable partners for the mainstream Democrats in the US.  The Squad's supporters will rant about how their candidates haven't lost and only the centrists lost their elections, which is totally missing the point.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 05, 2022, 01:20:14 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 05, 2022, 12:43:35 PMRight now the Conservatives seem to be rejecting that strategy, saying they need a leader who is not just "Liberal-lite". Seems they're hoping to get in with their more radical approach, riding on a wave of the public getting tired of the Liberals and thinking whatever half-hearted "we're not actually as bad as all that" paint they're slapping on the party is sufficient.

They are gambling that such radicalism will make inroads in Canada if given sufficient air. I don't think it's necessarily a bad gamble, and I would be wary of thinking they could *never* get elected that way.

I agree entirely. In fact the prospect terrifies me. I think they have a real chance at winning the next election if Trudeau doesn't step down and emulate his father.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 05, 2022, 01:43:40 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2022, 12:06:39 PMI wish Berkut would read this thread once a while.

The left needs to go to the centre but it's ok for the right to being dragged kicking & screaming always further right.

*sigh
It's not like the left is happy to go to the center.  There's lot a screaming and screeching there too.  Lots of ranting against the moderates.  It's not like the Bernie Bros are good, solid, reliable partners for the mainstream Democrats in the US.  The Squad's supporters will rant about how their candidates haven't lost and only the centrists lost their elections, which is totally missing the point.

I think you should take a look at what has occurred to the NDP over say the last 50 years

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2022, 07:22:22 PMI think you should take a look at what has occurred to the NDP over say the last 50 years

It went from being pro-USSR to being pro-Chavez/Maduro?

It's not like the Conservative Party hasn't moved with the rest of society, you know.  I don't think today's party is even remotely as conservative as it was 50 years ago.  No one is even talking of bringing back the death penalty anymore.  And this was done without any drama.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2022, 08:48:52 AMIn BC an all party committee on policing unanimously recommended not renewing the RCMP contract and moving back to a Provincial police force

Hmmm...wonder if this will affect my niece. She's currently on a pilot project serving as a mediator between the RCMP and various Indigenous communities on Vancouver Island. I suspect this might end if that happens.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 06, 2022, 05:46:59 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2022, 08:48:52 AMIn BC an all party committee on policing unanimously recommended not renewing the RCMP contract and moving back to a Provincial police force

Hmmm...wonder if this will affect my niece. She's currently on a pilot project serving as a mediator between the RCMP and various Indigenous communities on Vancouver Island. I suspect this might end if that happens.

The good news for her is it's going to take a long time to implement the change if it does happen

viper37

viper37

Do not worry.  This is a debate of ideas.

crazy canuck

Conservatives are proud to be conservatives when they are proud and unabashedly Conservative.

What?

https://twitter.com/david_moscrop/status/1522928270605496329?s=21&t=gdyEgSHYxpsv16V65lSLVw

Jacob

Bloc Quebecois puts forward a motion to remove the daily prayer from Parliament: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mps-vote-scrapping-daily-prayer-1.6447704

1) What? We had a daily prayer?

2) Yes, seems appropriate to me to remove it.

3) Apparently the BQ kind of ambushed everyone with it, so it's causing some consternation across the different parties. They're all replying with various dodges like "Canadians care more about inflation / housing prices / Ukraine, why are we wasting time with this?" Which I suppose is fair enough, but still a dodge.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on May 10, 2022, 12:04:22 PMBloc Quebecois puts forward a motion to remove the daily prayer from Parliament: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mps-vote-scrapping-daily-prayer-1.6447704

1) What? We had a daily prayer?

2) Yes, seems appropriate to me to remove it.

3) Apparently the BQ kind of ambushed everyone with it, so it's causing some consternation across the different parties. They're all replying with various dodges like "Canadians care more about inflation / housing prices / Ukraine, why are we wasting time with this?" Which I suppose is fair enough, but still a dodge.
They talk about religious neutrality, but they're all afraid of legislating about it.