News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2022, 12:09:17 PMWeren't there several?

I suppose the entire Severian dynasty. You could say there were "several" if one is in a punning mood.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on May 20, 2022, 12:06:31 PMPerhaps ironically, official race-based supremacy was one element of the modern right that was, as far as I know, not practiced by the actual ancient Romans - imperialists they certainly were, but anyone adopting Roman citizenship became "Roman", and there didn't appear to be any colour bar. Hence the trivia question "when was Britain ruled by an African?" (The Emperor Septimius Severus: his father's side were of North African, Punic ancestry, he was born in what is now Libya). 
Not colour, that's a given.  It had no meaning to them.

However, even with the extension of Roman citizenship across all the empire, I am not certain older Roman families did not view "the other Romans" as inferior.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on May 20, 2022, 12:33:16 PM

I suppose the entire Severian dynasty. You could say there were "several" if one is in a punning mood.  ;)

I was thinking short reigned ones like Macrinus and Aemilianus.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2022, 01:21:06 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 20, 2022, 12:33:16 PM

I was thinking short reigned ones like Macrinus and Aemilianus.

Fair enough - I overlook some of these more, ah, ephemeral emperors.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on May 19, 2022, 12:33:19 PMThe difference in threats coming from the left vs the right is so ridiculously huge that your whataboutism is meaningless.

Every single western police department and intelligence agency says so, and so do the facts on the ground.

You can dig out whatever anecdotal crime linked to "the left" (which sounds like anyone who doesn't align with your conservative views), it wont change that fact.
We should ask the commerce that felt threatened enough by the left to move out of some neighbourhood or close down shop.  They may have a different the view than the enablers of this violence.

I'll just remember that burning crosses are simply a sign of welcome and not intended as anything else. :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

I have no idea what you're talking about dude.

Why do you keep bringing up burning crosses

Grey Fox

Remember Viper, the KKK is on your side of the aisle.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on May 21, 2022, 12:45:48 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 19, 2022, 12:33:19 PMThe difference in threats coming from the left vs the right is so ridiculously huge that your whataboutism is meaningless.

Every single western police department and intelligence agency says so, and so do the facts on the ground.

You can dig out whatever anecdotal crime linked to "the left" (which sounds like anyone who doesn't align with your conservative views), it wont change that fact.
We should ask the commerce that felt threatened enough by the left to move out of some neighbourhood or close down shop.  They may have a different the view than the enablers of this violence.

I'll just remember that burning crosses are simply a sign of welcome and not intended as anything else. :)

So because the KKK are against black businesses they're anti business and thus left wing?
██████
██████
██████

viper37

No big deal, but the left just burnt the sheepfold of a notorious businessmen, very active on social media on issues on fiscal conservatism.

Original text: La bergerie de François Lambert détruite par un incendie

François Lambert's sheepfold destroyed by fire

A fire ravaged the farm of businessman François Lambert overnight from Saturday to Sunday. More than thirty sheep lost their lives

The fire broke out in the sheepfold of the farm located in Notre-Dame-de-la-Paix, in Outaouais, François Lambert reported on social networks on Sunday.

The businessman and agricultural producer is known for his participation in the show Dans l'œil du dragon* and Un souper presque parfait** . In 2018, he caused controversy by claiming that it was possible to feed a family on $75 a week.
"Last night, around 2 a.m., a misunderstood person decided that it was a good idea to come and set my sheepfold on fire and thereby make my herd of sheep suffer; a dozen managed to escape, tweeted Mr. Lambert on Sunday. Whoever you are, I hope the police catch you, fucker. »

The Sûreté du Québec confirmed having been dispatched to Notre-Dame-de-la-Paix around 4 a.m. the same day. An investigation is still underway in the case, said spokeswoman Béatrice Dorsainville.

In addition to the fire, Mr. Lambert's farm was without power due to severe thunderstorms that rocked the area.
"You can't go lower than that," denounces Mr. Lambert online, while claiming that the fire would be of a criminal nature. "That you hate me, that you write to me that I'm an asshole on social media, OK. But that you burn sheep? »

*Dragon's Den, in French. 
** Some people, celebrities or commoners invite another group of strangers at home to cook for them.  Lambert is famous for his local products.

As usual, don't expect the left to comment on this.  Next time, it'll be a house, maybe even with people inside, still no big deal.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2022, 04:36:51 PMRemember Viper, the KKK is on your side of the aisle.
No, I'm not voting for Québec Solidaire, nor Éric Duhaime, nor Maxime Bernier, nor will I vote for the Conservatives if Pierre Poilièvre wins.  And I have no idea whom the Canadian KKK prefers.  Nor would I care anymore.  If the left is unwilling to reprimand and calm their people, there's no point for the right to try anything.  The strongest will win, and the Zoupas (the majority of the left) will get what they want.

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on May 21, 2022, 05:01:06 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 21, 2022, 12:45:48 PM

So because the KKK are against black businesses they're anti business and thus left wing?
It's not the KKK that is attacking businesses.  Race is not a factor in Quebec.  The left is vandalizing businesses, usually setting fire, to keep them out of their neighborhood, to prevent gentrificatio.

So far, I have never heard of a racist candidate being allowed to militate under the Conservative banner, once his opinions have been known.  Québec Solidaire however is actively recruiting racist candidate that hates Québécois.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on May 21, 2022, 04:11:32 PMI have no idea what you're talking about dude.

Why do you keep bringing up burning crosses
Your people have a fondness for setting things on fire, and you approve of it.

Josquius

That fire- I only see the guy himself, a well known arse-talker you say, blaming criminals. Any evidence this actually was left wing terrorists?
Compare and contrast this one anecdote which may or may not be the left with the countless examples of right wing terrorism and the modern left's usual harmlessness...
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on May 23, 2022, 10:45:34 AMNo big deal, but the left just burnt the sheepfold of a notorious businessmen, very active on social media on issues on fiscal conservatism.

Please provide a link with proof that "the left" burnt this guy's property.

All I see online is a fire broke out and that the inquiry is ongoing.