News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on May 19, 2022, 12:33:19 PMThe difference in threats coming from the left vs the right is so ridiculously huge that your whataboutism is meaningless.

So then why defend, or minimize, left-wing violence in the small number of occasions it does happen?

Like seriously - blowing up a dude's car is very obviously a threat.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 19, 2022, 12:36:29 PMSo then why defend, or minimize, left-wing violence in the small number of occasions it does happen?

Agreed. Threatening to blow up people's cars is wrong. No need to defend on minimize it.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 19, 2022, 12:36:29 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 19, 2022, 12:33:19 PMThe difference in threats coming from the left vs the right is so ridiculously huge that your whataboutism is meaningless.

It's like planting a burning cross on someone's yard.  No big deal, according to Zoupa.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on May 19, 2022, 01:11:18 PM

It's like planting a burning cross on someone's yard.  No big deal, according to Zoupa.
:lol:

Zoupa

So then why defend, or minimize, left-wing violence in the small number of occasions it does happen?

This is kind of the same discussion, or at least the same theme as when conservatives were outraged about the looting that went along with Black Lives Matter protests. How much airtime/column inches were used to talk about that compared to black people getting shot by the police or your assorted Zimmerman/Rittenhouses.

I don't give a shit about this dude's luxury cars, sorry. I still find it counterproductive though, because burning cars release lots of nasty fumes and C02.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on May 19, 2022, 01:21:51 PM

This is kind of the same discussion, or at least the same theme as when conservatives were outraged about the looting that went along with Black Lives Matter protests. How much airtime/column inches were used to talk about that compared to black people getting shot by the police or your assorted Zimmerman/Rittenhouses.

I don't give a shit about this dude's luxury cars, sorry. I still find it counterproductive though, because burning cars release lots of nasty fumes and C02.

It got so much airtime because "the left" generally refused to denounce the violence, or excused it as being justified.

The better answer is "they shouldn't do it, and I condemn it.  Now lets talk about why the peaceful BLM protestors are out there".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

Quote from: Barrister on May 19, 2022, 01:24:55 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 19, 2022, 01:21:51 PM

It got so much airtime because "the left" generally refused to denounce the violence, or excused it as being justified.

Oh, you sweet, summer child...

HVC

I mean you just did it in this thread, zoupa  :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

I missed the part where the right - especially as exemplified by our languish posters - has taken any responsibility for right wing violence, much less threats of violence.

For my part, I have and did denounce this threat as being wrong and I think I'm considered part of the "languish left".

Zoupa

Quote from: HVC on May 19, 2022, 01:46:07 PMI mean you just did it in this thread, zoupa  :lol:

I did say it was counterproductive.  :sleep:

I will point out that you're the one that brought this incident to the forum. I don't remember you posting anything about the Wet'suwet'en.

See what I mean?

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 19, 2022, 12:08:55 PMIt's still happening, since we're talking about modern " anglo-saxon simple words" as a stand in for racist speech. 

Which wasn't Poilièvre's intention in any case, since he meant to convey the message that he speaks for the simple guy vs the elites.  It's a traditional populist thing.  It's the same thing Trump has been doing.

That Poilièvre simply does not care for racist that follow him is another matter, and on that, there's a lot of whataboutism since the left has been highly tolerant of its fanatics and still is as of today.  You can't expect the right to discipline everyone in the country when they left does not even want to denounce its own followers.

One of the leaders of the freedom convoy said that Anglo Saxons were being replaced. Poilievre supported them then and his use of their terminology is certainly a dog whistle.  You simply turn a blind eye (deaf ear) to it.

Which was pretty much Mason's point.  The only way Polievre wins the leadership is if people like you defend/minimize/become apologists for him.

Grey Fox

The left cuddles the actions that fits our views. Viper cuddles the actions of his sides too. Like all good conservative he prefers inaction to change.

Nothing new under the sun.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Zoupa on May 19, 2022, 02:51:07 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 19, 2022, 01:46:07 PMI mean you just did it in this thread, zoupa  :lol:

I did say it was counterproductive.  :sleep:

I will point out that you're the one that brought this incident to the forum. I don't remember you posting anything about the Wet'suwet'en.

See what I mean?

I just thought it was an interesting news story for the Canada thread :Canuck:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 19, 2022, 11:41:35 AMYou may find this group of interest.  I have been following them for a few years and they turn out timely and thoughtful pieces.

https://pharos.vassarspaces.net/
I did! Super-interesting and I imagine there's similar projects being done around, say, Vikings and Anglo-Saxons and Medieval Europe.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 19, 2022, 11:41:35 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 19, 2022, 11:18:50 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 19, 2022, 09:09:46 AMThere are a number who correct the misuse of history by the right.  But these days that has become more than a full time job.
Yeah and maybe it's just me being too sensitive - but I always feel an urge to put a bit of distance between me and the far right who've taken an interest in that. I'm not that type of Paradox player. Which I feel professionals academics in Old English, or the Vikings or Rome must have all the time.

Plus I think it is still worth examining why the far right glom onto something because it's not normally without reason.

You may find this group of interest.  I have been following them for a few years and they turn out timely and thoughtful pieces.

https://pharos.vassarspaces.net/

You don't have to look very far ... isn't the term "fascist" itself derived from the ancient Roman symbol of authority?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasces

Perhaps ironically, official race-based supremacy was one element of the modern right that was, as far as I know, not practiced by the actual ancient Romans - imperialists they certainly were, but anyone adopting Roman citizenship became "Roman", and there didn't appear to be any colour bar. Hence the trivia question "when was Britain ruled by an African?" (The Emperor Septimius Severus: his father's side were of North African, Punic ancestry, he was born in what is now Libya). 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius