Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on June 17, 2019, 01:57:35 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2019, 08:39:00 AM
Quote from: Josephus on June 15, 2019, 07:27:21 AM
But fiscally the Greens are pretty centrist; or so I thought.

Yeah, I am not sure what Viper means by rehash left wing ideas.

Also, I am not sure what the connection is between being a Liberal supporter and aspiring to a career in the public service.
The higher echelons of the public workforce are generally filled to the brim with Liberal sympathizers, from Trudeau and Chrétien's era.  This Trudeau will make a lot of nominations before leaving.

fyi

It's not a question of nominations.  There was a direct hire provision in the public service act which allowed political staffers from all parties to enter the public service.  Iirc Harper amended that provision to make hiring decisions merit based but I am not sure how it now operates in practice.

Barrister

Trudeau's cabinet again approves Trans Mountain expansion.  You'd think he'd have to, since he bought the damn thing, but I had expected he would have punted on this until after the election.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tasker-trans-mountain-trudeau-cabinet-decision-1.5180269
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

I would have expected some compromises with Alberta: do not fight the carbon tax and we will authorize Trans Mountain.  Otherwise, it will remain on definite hold.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2019, 03:06:20 PM
I would have expected some compromises with Alberta: do not fight the carbon tax and we will authorize Trans Mountain.  Otherwise, it will remain on definite hold.

That was the original deal with Alberta.  But then the Liberals bought the damn thing.  Now they have to proceed so they have no leverage left.

PRC

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2019, 05:19:38 PM
https://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/Details/Environment/greenhouse-gas-emissions.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Alberta is a real problem in this regard.  A lot of their extraction is powered by coal and natural gas plants.  There was a plan to use the hydro power that will be generated at the new site C dam being built to be used in Alberta and hopefully that will still happen.

The Albertan provincial NDP did put plans in place to phase out coal powered electricity generation by 2030.  I don't know if the UCP being in power now will change that though.  The UCP did say they would cancel renewables programs.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2019, 03:07:44 PM

That was the original deal with Alberta.  But then the Liberals bought the damn thing.  Now they have to proceed so they have no leverage left.

No, there was no "deal".  What there was was Notley's "Social license" theory, that by voluntarily bringing in a carbon tax (and a hard cap on oilsand emissions), that would make it easier for ALL the pipelines to be built.  Remember back when we were trying to build Energy East, Keystone XL, and Northern Gateway?

But of course it just gave away Alberta's leeway.  The environmental activists gave no credit to Alberta, and just kept fighting the pipelines.

Even now, if it were even possible, I bet you Jason Kenney would agree to a carbon tax in exchange for Transmountain and, say, Energy East.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 19, 2019, 03:39:20 PM
Even now, if it were even possible, I bet you Jason Kenney would agree to a carbon tax in exchange for Transmountain and, say, Energy East.

I think you might have forgotten his campaign rhetoric.

"During a leaders debate last Thursday, United Conservative Leader Jason Kenney suggested that Notley has foolishly tied Alberta's fortunes to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal government by introducing a carbon tax."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/notley-federal-approval-trans-mountain-pipeline-may-1.5089156

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2019, 04:12:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 19, 2019, 03:39:20 PM

I think you might have forgotten his campaign rhetoric.

"During a leaders debate last Thursday, United Conservative Leader Jason Kenney suggested that Notley has foolishly tied Alberta's fortunes to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal government by introducing a carbon tax."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/notley-federal-approval-trans-mountain-pipeline-may-1.5089156

I'm well aware of the rhetoric.  But different facts can mean different positions.  I don't think it's possible, but if Alberta re-introducing the carbon tax could guarantee two pipelines I bet that Kenney might go for it.

Zoupa

Or how about we leave the dirtiest oil on the planet in the ground before we all drown. Just a thought.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on June 19, 2019, 04:20:08 PM
Or how about we leave the dirtiest oil on the planet in the ground before we all drown. Just a thought.

No one has announced a new oilsands project in years.  We're talking about oil that is already being produced - we just want to get it to market more cheaply (and cleanly).

Zoupa

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on June 19, 2019, 04:42:34 PM
Stop producing it then.

I tell you what - how about you shut down all Bombardier because all its products consume oil, then talk to us about shutting down the oilsands.

viper37

I know.  They could have still put it on hold until Alberta complied, since that was the original deal.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 19, 2019, 04:47:00 PM
I tell you what - how about you shut down all Bombardier because all its products consume oil, then talk to us about shutting down the oilsands.

Not true.  Bombardier produces trains and planes.  Many of these trains/tramways/lightrail are electric.  I am not aware of any electric aircraft though, nor of any kind of serious development on it.  But so long as millionaires give 5$ to plant a tree for every trip they make in their private aircraft, we'll be allright. ;)

As for snowmobiles&other recreative products, that is no longer part of 'Bombardier', though it is owned by the Bombardier family as a seperate entity.  Not sure about how many eco-conscious hippies are using these, though. :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2019, 12:24:04 AM

I know.  They could have still put it on hold until Alberta complied, since that was the original deal.

Not as the owner of the pipeline