News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP: My Yukon Schtick 2006-2011

Started by Barrister, March 22, 2011, 12:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

My dad spent most of his career working for GMRI/Darden, but I have no problem telling him how shitty and overpriced Red Lobster and Olive Garden have become. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on March 24, 2011, 12:22:42 PM
It's the same reason why, once I move to Edmonton, I'm kind of obliged to get a newspaper subscription.  My dad's a life-long newspaper man.

I don't get it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Beeb just needs to learn to start disrespecting his elders, that's all. :)

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on March 24, 2011, 12:37:13 PM
My dad spent most of his career working for GMRI/Darden, but I have no problem telling him how shitty and overpriced Red Lobster and Olive Garden have become. :)

:yeahright:

My wife's family is wierd in that they view going to a chain restaurant as high dining.  They'll look forward to a night out at Olive Garden.   <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

If they ever lived somewhere with a sizable Italian community they'd be aware of how crappy OG actually is.  Actually, this is why GMRI was shocked when they opened test outlets in Philadelphia and they actually did very well.  When they tried to open Red Lobsters in New England, they bombed since locals already had access to cheap, high-quality seafood.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on March 24, 2011, 01:51:25 PM
If they ever lived somewhere with a sizable Italian community they'd be aware of how crappy OG actually is.  Actually, this is why GMRI was shocked when they opened test outlets in Philadelphia and they actually did very well.  When they tried to open Red Lobsters in New England, they bombed since locals already had access to cheap, high-quality seafood.

Western Canada doesn't have a sizable Italian community, but we do have some guidos, and we still know what good Italian food is like.

Caliga

Well, YOU certainly know what good Italian food is like, since you've actually been to Italy.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on March 24, 2011, 12:14:37 PM
Meh - my FIL is a now retired lifer from AAGT/Telus.  He's not a huge company man or anything, but he might think it odd for me to ditch Telus entirely.
AGT has gone straight down the crapper since it moved to BC.  Something about BC just ruins things.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maximus

It's not like AGT was such a prize. We still had multi-party lines and pulse dialing until 91 :lol:

And being dependent on external power sources for communication is just silly. If you insist on having a landline, a PSU that can run your routers and phone bases for a few hours isn't that hard to come by.

Barrister

Mea culpa to those who told me to avoid Telus.  :mad:

I had everything set up (eventually) for Telus to come set up phone/internet/tv the day after we took possession. 

They would only give us a time between 9 and 4 <_<, but said they'd call before showing up.  Of course they didn't, and just showed up.  The tech (with a strong punjabi accent) said that with us not having any tvs, he couldn't set up our TV service.  I asked about at least phone and internet, but he said he could only hook up phone, and we'd need to schedule another appointment.  So he went outside to hook up the phone, and once he left we discovered we had no dial tone. <_<

When we went to schedule another appointment, we were told April 8th was the first available date. :ultra:

So we called Shaw and they offered to come the next day. :)

All Hail Shaw!

Caliga

:lol:

My cable was hooked up without having a TV in the house yet. :huh:

Outsourcing = FAIL.

Admiral Yi

You should have talked with Canadian Tire before going with Shaw, Beeb.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2011, 03:09:36 PM
Mea culpa to those who told me to avoid Telus.  :mad:

I had everything set up (eventually) for Telus to come set up phone/internet/tv the day after we took possession. 

They would only give us a time between 9 and 4 <_<, but said they'd call before showing up.  Of course they didn't, and just showed up.  The tech (with a strong punjabi accent) said that with us not having any tvs, he couldn't set up our TV service.  I asked about at least phone and internet, but he said he could only hook up phone, and we'd need to schedule another appointment.  So he went outside to hook up the phone, and once he left we discovered we had no dial tone. <_<

When we went to schedule another appointment, we were told April 8th was the first available date. :ultra:

So we called Shaw and they offered to come the next day. :)

All Hail Shaw!

Hahaha.... Telus strikes again.  What a shit-bag company, I have no idea how they're still in business. 

Good choice on Shaw.

derspiess

If they ever lived somewhere with a sizable Italian community they'd be aware of how crappy OG actually is.  Actually, this is why GMRI was shocked when they opened test outlets in Philadelphia and they actually did very well. 

It perplexed me when the one in Delaware opened & did as well as it did.  There are tons of better, authentic options in downtown Wilmington alone.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

stjaba

Quote from: derspiess on April 01, 2011, 04:46:20 PM
If they ever lived somewhere with a sizable Italian community they'd be aware of how crappy OG actually is.  Actually, this is why GMRI was shocked when they opened test outlets in Philadelphia and they actually did very well. 

It perplexed me when the one in Delaware opened & did as well as it did.  There are tons of better, authentic options in downtown Wilmington alone.

For one, Olive Gardens are usually located in suburbia, which makes them much more accessible than downtown restaurants. Second, I've noticed that the clientele for Olive Gardens is dominated by two groups: Older couples(60+) who probably want something reasonably priced and predictable, as well as easily accessible(hence suburban locations w/ plenty of parking as opposed to downtown); and mid-middle class couples and families (same reasons as older couples). I could see why families would prefer a Olive Garden to a more authentic restaurant- the authentic place is probably more expensive, less likely to have child friendly options, etc. Also, the mid-middle class families are more likely to be living out in suburbia as opposed to close to the downtown core.