News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

4 Team BCS playoff! :w00t:

espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7858795/bcs-says-bids-include-4-team-playoffs-only
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 26, 2012, 06:41:33 PM
Universities have gotten out of control.  Compare tuition increases to inflation some time.

I am not sure what that has to do with deep public funding cuts.  And these are the public schools, the ones that have been keeping their tuition low-ish for in-state kids (granted by law). 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2012, 08:49:55 AM
4 Team BCS playoff! :w00t:

espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7858795/bcs-says-bids-include-4-team-playoffs-only

Hopefully this will mean the end of undefeated teams not being able to play for the national title.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2012, 08:57:26 AM
Hopefully this will mean the end of undefeated teams not being able to play for the national title.

:huh:  Don't be absurd.  There will be many undefeated teams that don't get ranked in the top 4, and rightfully so.  If merely being undefeated qualified a team for the playoffs, everyone would seek the easiest possible schedule so as to maximize the chances of qualifying.

Anyone who thinks that this will remain open to only four teams for more than two years is delusional.  My guess is that we will have a sixteen-team tournament before 2020 (and then your undefeateds will probably all be there).  That's why this system has to be set up well from the get-go.  The traditional bowls are going to have to be kept out of the playoff process, or they are going to fuck it up.

I really do think that Delaney's suggestion of having the first round of the playoffs at the stadiums of the higher seeds the week after conference championship games is the way to go.  You can't expect fans to travel for the CCG, then for the first-round playoff bowl, then the playoff championship bowl.  Look at what happened to the ACC championship game last year.

The arguments against the home game are pretty amusing, IMO.  They boil down to the claim that the college football playoffs cannot take place in college football stadiums because college football stadiums lack the infrastructure needed to put on college football games.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2012, 09:21:42 AM
:huh:  Don't be absurd.  There will be many undefeated teams that don't get ranked in the top 4, and rightfully so.

Nothing rightful about a team finishing the year undefeated and not being national champion.  But we have always disagreed on this point.

But I totally agree with the rest of your post.  Home games for playoff games is the logical way to go.  Not sure if 16 teams will be the end game but if it is that would at least put the division formerly known as I-A where the rest of the divisions are.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2012, 09:47:05 AM
Nothing rightful about a team finishing the year undefeated and not being national champion.  But we have always disagreed on this point.

I am not sure what "rightful" means here, but you are correct that we disagree.  I think that the best team should be the champion.

QuoteBut I totally agree with the rest of your post.  Home games for playoff games is the logical way to go.  Not sure if 16 teams will be the end game but if it is that would at least put the division formerly known as I-A where the rest of the divisions are.
I am curious to see if D-1A is willing to reduce regular-season games to increase playoff games, as the other divisions have.  A sixteen-game season would be tough on a college player.

Personally, I would be even happier to go back to the pre-BCS bowl system than I would be to have the facade of a four-team playoff.  A six, eight, or sixteen game playoff would be much more credible to me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2012, 10:11:28 AM
I am not sure what "rightful" means here, but you are correct that we disagree.

I only used the word because you did :P

But yeah we have been back and forth about this for years. 

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 27, 2012, 10:14:05 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2012, 10:11:28 AM
the pre-BCS bowl system

:punk:

What exactly would that mean for the Big 12?  Our champion goes to play in the Orange Bowl, no longer played at the Orange Bowl, or the Cotton Bowl, which is no longer played in the Cotton Bowl?  No thanks.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 27, 2012, 11:39:57 AM
What Big 12?

You mean which Big 12?  The one with 10 teams but has 12 in its name, not the one with 12 teams but has 10 in its name.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2012, 10:23:07 AM
What exactly would that mean for the Big 12? 

It would mean that the conference would control which schools went to which bowls, without regard to the national beauty pageant, and then there would be agreement, or not, as to which B12 team, if any, was the mythical national champion.

This is the way Div 1-A football was for about 90 years. 

Bayraktar!

stjaba

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2012, 09:21:42 AM

The arguments against the home game are pretty amusing, IMO.  They boil down to the claim that the college football playoffs cannot take place in college football stadiums because college football stadiums lack the infrastructure needed to put on college football games.  :lol:

I disagree with you. First off, some colleges/towns are more suitable than others. Could Ohio State or Michigan or Florida or USC do it? Probably. But what about TCU or Boise State? Or Kansas State? or WVU? There are plenty of colleges with small stadiums that are completely inadequate for hosting a BCS playoff game. Also, a lot of these colleges are in remote locales without a lot of hotel/motel rooms around. This isn't a problem in the regular season because most of the attendees of games live locally or within a day's driving distance. Since the games are scheduled far in advance, people can arrange accommodations far in advance. It's a completely different story for a BCS play-off game.  You will have a lot of people having to make accommodations quickly, both fans of the other team as well as media. It's going to be a hassle, not to mention expensive to arrange all that when you're dealing with the Gainesvilles, Tallahasees, Auburns, etc. of the world.

On the other hand, I do see merit in home team hosting, primarily out of the maximizing attendance due to convenience to the home fans. Also, it is easy to foresee scenarios where BCS playoff games get crappy attendance due to the neutral site- e.g. Boise State vs. USC in Indianapolis in late December.

I think the ideal plan would somehow maximize attendance while also making sure the games are in appropriate stadiums with appropriate surrounding infrastructure. I think a good compromise would be that each conference has a home, centrally located neutral site that would be used for the number 1 and 2 seeds. The SEC could have Atlanta/Nashville/, Big 10 could have Indianapolis/Detroit, Pac 12 could have LA etc. This would help ensure good attendance(because the sites would be convenient to regional fanbases) while also making sure the stadiums and surrounding infrastructure are appropriate.

Valmy

Yeah it would probably work out where K-State would host in Kansas City, WVU would host in Pittsburgh, and TCU would host in Jerry World.  Something like that.  Just because a school is hosting the game does not mean it necessarily has to be their home campus.  But it needs to be where the home school fans have easy access.

PDH

Wyoming will host in the...oh wait, that just started off all wrong.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM