News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

The only thing I care about in college sports is that the right teams win and the right teams lose.  I don't give a shit about anything else.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2011, 09:49:05 AM
First of all, tradition and pageantry mean nothing to me. I watch college football and basketball for the same reasons I watch AAA baseball. I love watching the sport and want to see the pro prospects play.

Then why the hell do you care about Texas or the Big XII or superconferences or anything else?  If you just want to watch the pro prospects play, shut the fuck up and watch the pro prospects play.

Valmy

First of all, tradition and pageantry mean nothing to me. I watch college football and basketball for the same reasons I watch AAA baseball. I love watching the sport and want to see the pro prospects play.

I hope the Red Sox get moved to the NL West, change their colors to purple, rip down Fenway Park and build a 1970s style field turf symmetrical stadium, and change their name to the 'Blazing Thunder of Boston'.

Actually you would probably like that shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 13, 2011, 09:55:46 AM

Then why the hell do you care about Texas or the Big XII or superconferences or anything else?  If you just want to watch the pro prospects play, shut the fuck up and watch the pro prospects play.
One has to root for somebody and against someone else for sports to be enjoyable.

The NCAA basketball tourney is entertaining, so would a Football playoff.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2011, 09:59:49 AM

I hope the Red Sox get moved to the NL West, change their colors to purple, rip down Fenway Park and build a 1970s style field turf symmetrical stadium, and change their name to the 'Blazing Thunder of Boston'.

Actually you would probably like that shit.
Adendum - College tradition and pageantry mean nothing to me.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2011, 10:07:11 AM
One has to root for somebody and against someone else for sports to be enjoyable.

You just said you only watch them for enjoyment of the game and to watch the pro prospects.  You don't start wanting a major state university to be completely financially fucked (to the extent that you are actually willing to cheer for several OTHER universities to get totally fucked as well), no matter how delusional it might be, just because you are rooting against them on the field in order to enjoy the game.

You're full of shit. 

QuoteThe NCAA basketball tourney is entertaining, so would a Football playoff.

So what are you going to say when the superconferences that you haven't thought all the way through totally fuck up the basketball tournament, and they aren't inclined to try to set up your halfassed playoff system?

Valmy

Quote from: Scipio on September 13, 2011, 09:50:38 AM
The only thing I care about in college sports is that the right teams win and the right teams lose.  I don't give a shit about anything else.

So is that Michigan or Ole Miss these days?  I bet you enjoyed that game Saturday night.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Would be better if you could make/delete conferences.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Yeah, a friend of mine did this:

Big Ten East
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers
Ohio State
ND
Michigan
MSU
Purdue

Big Ten West
Indiana
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern
Iowa
Missouri
Nebraska

PAC 16 East
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Utah
Colorado
Arizona
Arizona State

PAC 16 West
USC
UCLA
Cal
Stanford
Washington
WSU
Oregon
Oregon St

SEC East
Florida
Georgia
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia Tech
Kentucky

SEC West
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Miss St
LSC
Arkansas
Vanderbilt
Texas A&M

ACC/BigEast North
West Virginia
BC
Syracuse
Virginia
Cincinnati
Uconn
Louisville
Pittsburgh

ACC/BigEast South
FSU
Miami
Virginia
Wake Forrest
Duke
Clemson
NC State
TCU

Note the combined ACC/BEast
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

OttoVonBismarck

I think this is how it might go down:

Big Ten: +Missouri, +Kansas, +Syracuse, +Pittsburgh

Pac 16: +Texas, +OU, +OSU, +Texas Tech

ACC: +Cincy, +USF, +UConn, +Louisville

SEC: +TAMU, +West Virginia

Rationale: I think Texas is most likely to go to the Pac-16 and so is OU, that brings OSU. I think Texas Tech will end up there because they are a Texas school and they can slap Texas/Tech/OSU in the same division to help things, and they will want to go to 16 if they go 15.

When things really fall apart I expect Syracuse and Pittsburgh to go to the Big-10 pretty quickly, both fit in very nicely in terms of academics, both are mediocre but storied football programs and both have major basketball programs. Those are all things that fit in perfectly with the Big-10.

I think the Big-10 will want to go up to a full sized 16 and that leads to them probably grabbing Kansas (I think Kansas ends up here instead of the Pac-16, who would take Kansas over Texas Tech if they could, at least I think.) I think Missouri ends up here because I think West Virginia ends up going to the SEC instead of Missouri and that makes Missouri attractive to the Big-10 in terms of geography, money, and etc.

I see Louisville, UConn, Cincy, and USF ending up in the ACC for a few reasons. Firstly the ACC is undoubtedly going to be the worst football conference when all is said and done, I think everyone knows that. They will essentially be getting last pick, and I think everyone knows that. They will probably want to maintain things as being east-oriented as possible, so they'll grab UConn, Louisville, and Cincy to turn the ACC into the undeniable basketball powerhouse conference and all three of those schools have potentially decent football programs. USF gets in on the back of improving football, and a large stadium in the football crazy and lucrative state of Florida.

Rutgers, Baylor, Kansas State, and Iowa State end up fucked. Various teams that are in limbo like TCU also probably end up fucked.

The way I'd like to see it go as a guy who likes the Big East is for the Big East to keep all of its current members and grab some of the lesser desired teams when the Big-XII implodes. This will leave the Big East as "good enough for a BCS bid" (where it has been since 2003 when Virginia Tech/Miami/BC left) which means all of those teams will still have a realistic shot of regular BCS trips.

In the Big 10 I could see Pitt winning about as often as PSU, and Syracuse about as often as Northwestern (i.e. it'd be something to mark an epoch.)

In the ACC UConn, Louisville, Cincy, and USF would probably win maybe as often as Wake Forest. It isn't impossible for teams like those four to win an ACC championship, but over time I think heavies like FSU and VT will still mostly dominate.

In the SEC West Virginia will make a lot more money but will win the conference about as often as Kentucky.

I think for all the Big East member schools the various options above are better money wise but much worse for them in terms of ability to win conference championships and go to big bowls.

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 13, 2011, 11:12:18 AM

Trying to get my mind around the basketball implications of that  :blink:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2011, 03:30:15 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 13, 2011, 11:12:18 AM

Trying to get my mind around the basketball implications of that  :blink:

And we thought the Big East was a blood bath.

derspiess

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 13, 2011, 03:16:56 PM
The way I'd like to see it go as a guy who likes the Big East is for the Big East to keep all of its current members and grab some of the lesser desired teams when the Big-XII implodes. This will leave the Big East as "good enough for a BCS bid" (where it has been since 2003 when Virginia Tech/Miami/BC left) which means all of those teams will still have a realistic shot of regular BCS trips.

Ditto.  I like football better than basketball, but I don't want to see anything on the football side significantly change the Big East for basketball, because Big East basketball has struck about the perfect balance in programs & is fun as hell to watch.

QuoteIn the SEC West Virginia will make a lot more money but will win the conference about as often as Kentucky.

Agree, but then again I said the same thing when WVU moved from Atlantic 10 to Big East in basketball.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

I've been getting the feeling that Texas to the Pac-XX has missed the boat. If it was going to happen, it would have happened, and now both Texas and the Pac-12 are sick of the idea.

But who really fucking knows what is going on behind all those closed doors...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned