News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 05, 2011, 08:45:03 PM
Doesn't the PAC-12 schools have such a great TV contract that they'd make more money there.
No.  The Pac 12, if everything goes there way, will be distributing $21 million per school in 2016.  The Big Ten distributed $22 million to each team in 2009, and more last year . The Pac-12 is getting $3 billion over 12 years from ABC; The Big Ten gets $220 million a year through 2015 from ABC/ESPN, and then will either renew the contract for bigger bucks or just broadcast through the BTN.

The Pac 12 could end up with some big bucks if their regional networks (100% owned by the Pac 12, unlike the BTN which is only 51% owned by the Big Ten) turn out to be cash cows, but that isn't likely.  The Big Ten will continue to make more money per team for the foreseeable future.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Nights like this I miss Dorsey4Heisman.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on September 05, 2011, 08:24:53 PM
I figured Texas for an independent with that TV contract, no sure how that would work out with the BCS though.

The only way I could see Texas doing that is if a conference let them be Independent for Football like Notre Dame in the Big East.  So I do not expect that to happen.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on September 05, 2011, 06:00:14 PM
For Valmy, the meth endzone:

So much state pride there :weep:

Man takes me back.  Pity Texas is never going back to Laramie :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2011, 10:36:29 PM
Quote from: sbr on September 05, 2011, 08:24:53 PM
I figured Texas for an independent with that TV contract, no sure how that would work out with the BCS though.

The only way I could see Texas doing that is if a conference let them be Independent for Football like Notre Dame in the Big East.  So I do not expect that to happen.

I tend to forget about other college sports.  I guess you are right.  :blush:

jimmy olsen

Texas to the ACC? :bleeding:
That's fucking retarded. I hope like hell that rumor isn't true.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1261031

EDIT: Actually, I hope it does happen and that the LHN destroys an other conference within a year.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 06, 2011, 01:56:31 AM
Texas to the ACC? :bleeding:
That's fucking retarded. I hope like hell that rumor isn't true.

Well, they'd be almost guaranteed a BCS game every year.  Even last year's Texas team might have won the ACC championship.  :lol:

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on September 05, 2011, 10:07:13 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 05, 2011, 08:45:03 PM
Doesn't the PAC-12 schools have such a great TV contract that they'd make more money there.
No.  The Pac 12, if everything goes there way, will be distributing $21 million per school in 2016.  The Big Ten distributed $22 million to each team in 2009, and more last year . The Pac-12 is getting $3 billion over 12 years from ABC; The Big Ten gets $220 million a year through 2015 from ABC/ESPN, and then will either renew the contract for bigger bucks or just broadcast through the BTN.

The Pac 12 could end up with some big bucks if their regional networks (100% owned by the Pac 12, unlike the BTN which is only 51% owned by the Big Ten) turn out to be cash cows, but that isn't likely.  The Big Ten will continue to make more money per team for the foreseeable future.

The Pac-12 deal is through Fox and ESPN, not ABC. It starts this year, not in 2016. And they will be getting $21 million/school at least, and more if everything goes their way.

ABC will carry games as part of its partnership with Fox, IIRC.

The regional network is rather likely to be a cash cow, since the three networks (ESPN, Fox, and Pac-12) will divide up every single football and basketball game between them. 100% coverage. This goes well beyond football as well, and of course the Pac-12 own the network, and potentially more importantly, owns the digital rights as well.

I don't know if each school will rake in more than the B10 schools, but it will certainly be in the range of the B10, with potential to come out ahead.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2011, 10:37:16 PM
Quote from: PDH on September 05, 2011, 06:00:14 PM
For Valmy, the meth endzone:

So much state pride there :weep:

Man takes me back.  Pity Texas is never going back to Laramie :(
When both are in the Rather Large 16 conference they will come here every other year!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on September 06, 2011, 08:51:46 AM
The Pac-12 deal is through Fox and ESPN, not ABC. It starts this year, not in 2016. And they will be getting $21 million/school at least, and more if everything goes their way.
All the news reports have it starting in 2012, not this year.  It will probably be worth about $225 million per year, or about $18+change million per school.  The actual amount depends on advertising sold, of course, so the hypothesized Pac 12 numbers are not nearly as solid as the demonstrated Big Ten numbers.  And those Big Ten numbers are for the past, not the present.

QuoteThe regional network is rather likely to be a cash cow, since the three networks (ESPN, Fox, and Pac-12) will divide up every single football and basketball game between them. 100% coverage. This goes well beyond football as well, and of course the Pac-12 own the network, and potentially more importantly, owns the digital rights as well.
The regional network is rather unlikely to be a cash cow, as it won't have the games covered by the TV contract and will be carried on premium channels.  The dream that the Pac 12 can sell the rights to their valuable games and also keep their rights for their own channels is silly.  There is a huge question as to whether the Pac 12 can put up with the cash drain required to get new networks going with re-runs of prime-time big sports and exclusive coverage of sports the major networks deem too specialized for any cable channel.

The LHN is be the best example of the type of success that that the regionalized Pac 12 networks will have, and so far that example isn't encouraging.

QuoteI don't know if each school will rake in more than the B10 schools, but it will certainly be in the range of the B10, with potential to come out ahead.
It could pull ahead if all the breaks go its way.  I don't think that will be the case though, and suspect that, as a TV network, the Pac 12 will be a good athletic conference.  In the meantime, the Pac 12 will have a deal close to, but better than, that of the SEC (also about $18 million per school, but retaining no rights), but not very close (right now) to that of the Big Ten (which, if we are throwing BB games in, gets an extra $1+ million per school from CBS, for a total TV deal of over $23 million per school, or about $4-5 million more per school per year in 2009 than the Pac 12 will give in 2012 or 2013.

As noted, there are some things that would allow parity with the Big Ten, but some aren't really under Pac 12 control.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

So TP went to Oakland? Yeah. Seems fitting.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Rasputin

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2011, 10:17:28 PM
Nights like this I miss Dorsey4Heisman.

qft

love the new terpiforms

the only thing that comes close to miami losing is when the gators lose

this could be a very good season :)
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

i was shocked at how slow miami looked defensively...

I'm not prepare to accept that the terps suddenly developed team speed
Who is John Galt?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Baylor's threatening to sue the SEC. If I was them my terms for settling would be to take Baylor as well!  :D

1 Karma Chameleon point