News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

And the Big 12 (9) is dead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/30/sports/ncaafootball/texas-am-closer-to-withdrawing-from-big-12.html
QuoteTexas A&M Closer to Withdrawing From Big 12
By PETE THAMEL
Published: August 29, 2011

Texas A&M's departure from the Big 12 Conference drew closer to reality on Monday when the university's president, R. Bowen Loftin, sent a letter to the Big 12 board chairman, the Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton, notifying the league that the Aggies would formally withdraw — very likely on Tuesday — according to two college officials with direct knowledge of the decision.

This latest step in the Aggies' effort to join the Southeastern Conference appears to have two stumbling blocks. The first is Texas A&M's exit fee from the Big 12, which it has not negotiated. That amount is expected to be close to $15 million. The other is the approval of the S.E.C. presidents. Nine of the 12 would have to vote in favor for Texas A&M to become a member of the conference. It is unlikely that Texas A&M would be this far along in the process without adequate S.E.C. presidential support.

Texas A&M hopes to play in the S.E.C. during the 2012 football season, which would appear to leave the conference with a mathematically clunky 13 teams for one year.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 30, 2011, 04:47:23 AM

That says "Texas A&M" not "Texas" or "Oklahoma." 

Also, what's with this:

QuoteIt is unlikely that Texas A&M would be this far along in the process without adequate S.E.C. presidential support.

If they don't have the "nod and wink" from the SEC, and have gone this far, they're.....well okay, they're Texas A&M.

Edit:  :rolleyes:  http://www.cbssports.com/#!/collegefootball/story/15503327/texas-am-denies-sending-letter-of-withdrawal-to-big-12 

For fucks sake, get out.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 30, 2011, 04:47:23 AM

Reports of its demise have been greatly exaggerated.

The center shall hold!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 30, 2011, 11:24:20 AM
For fucks sake, get out.

They are trying to cover their legal bases.  Baylor, in particular, wants to sue them revival style.

They took the super special secret oath of Big 12itude last year after all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

If Georgia doesn't beat Boise State, I'm going to have to hear Boise State bullshit all year.

Bulldogs, do your duty.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2011, 11:33:25 AM
They are trying to cover their legal bases.

They're not doing a very good job.  They need to learn to keep their collective mouths shut.

QuoteBaylor, in particular, wants to sue them revival style.

Baylor isn't liking the possibility of being in C-USA because Texas A&M is butthurt about tier 3 rights and managed to cut the legislative ties that kept UT, TTU, TAMU, and BU together.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 30, 2011, 11:35:09 AM
If Georgia doesn't beat Boise State, I'm going to have to hear Boise State bullshit all year.

Bulldogs, do your duty.

Eddie Teach

I appreciate the well wishes, but after last year I have little faith.   :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 30, 2011, 11:37:23 AM
They're not doing a very good job.  They need to learn to keep their collective mouths shut.

To be fair the PR departments of the Big 12 have all been shit these days.  The freaking conference was publicly talking about inviting Notre Dame and Arkansas for fucksake.  How stupid can you get get?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2011, 11:41:06 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 30, 2011, 11:37:23 AM

To be fair the PR departments of the Big 12 have all been shit these days.  The freaking conference was publicly talking about inviting Notre Dame and Arkansas for fucksake.  How stupid can you get get?

The Notre Dame thing seems to have started because of what Dodds said at.....where was that?  some sort of function.  I think he was talking about making ND vs. Texas a regular thing on the schedule, not that they'll join the conference, but then lol that shit just blew all up on the internet.  I didn't know the retards were officially talking about it though.

I also didn't hear anything about Arkansas.  I hope they were just spitballing or something, because fuck the pigs. 

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 30, 2011, 11:40:50 AM
I appreciate the well wishes, but after last year I have little faith.   :(

We're flying Bill from Sinton to Athens to fix the attitude problem Georgia fans have been displaying.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 30, 2011, 11:47:37 AM
The Notre Dame thing seems to have started because of what Dodds said at.....where was that?  some sort of function.  I think he was talking about making ND vs. Texas a regular thing on the schedule, not that they'll join the conference, but then lol that shit just blew all up on the internet.  I didn't know the retards were officially talking about it though.

I also didn't hear anything about Arkansas.  I hope they were just spitballing or something, because fuck the pigs. 

Well that much is true.  Texas and ND are going to start playing every year at some point in the near future.  It is part of Texas fulfilling the super special secret oath of Big 12itude where they promised to schedule stronger non-conference opponents.  I think the idea is that Texas is going to be put into the week ND used to play Stanford and USC because the new PAC 12 title game interferes with that or something.  ND will continue to play USC of course.  Not sure about the fighting trees.  But this is just me babbling I have nothing but interwebs rumours.

Arkansas came from some Arkansas booster, Jerry Jones it is suspected, asking about Big 12 membership.  But frankly it was great to get rid of the Piggies twenty years ago and  I have zero desire to take them back even if they wanted to which they do not.  They have the SEC secret handshake down and have delusions of Alabamaness.

But I thought the Big 12 released something about BYU, Arkansas, and Notre Dame being on their wishlist or some stupid shit like that but you are right it may just have been interweb rumours.  BYU yes the other two make about as much sense as claiming we are going to be inviting the Dallas Cowboys to join.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 30, 2011, 11:52:48 AM
Bill from Sinton to Athens to fix the attitude problem Georgia fans have been displaying.

Bill in Sinton's objective take on the Rice game:

QuoteIt is time to get started. We start a new season with new coaches so as fans we must encourage our team to stay focus and beat Rice. We must be cautious and not take the Owls lightly. Remember they beat us when we were highly ranked in 1958 and cost us an NC with a tie in 1962 and beat us again in the 90s so we must be careful. Remember in 1965 they also beat us in AUSTIN. 
So we have our work cut out for us. Those that go to the game must be at their best support and really encourage our Horns and wear orange, be loud, come early and stay late. Even if by chance the game is one sided remember you are not just encouraging the Horns for this game but for the whole season. We must all work to ensure that last year's disaster isn't repeated. Those that can't go to the game watch on tv and if you can't keep up with it here and on the radio. This is a very critical game that we must not take lightly. The season is about to begin. I am going to be flying my UT auto flag in Sinton this week. Everyone work to keep the synergy going. You know what to do. Let's do it!
Go Horns!!