News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rome

Started by Sheilbh, April 11, 2009, 07:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2009, 09:17:06 AMWell, according to some, she was Black ... neat trick for an inbred Macedonian. :D

Well those same dudes think Aesop was black too, so I guess they think the ancient Greeks were all black.  :cool:

Hey, did you know the Vikings were actually Chinese?  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2009, 08:46:17 AM
As an aside, The Tudors will end after the current Season 4.  At least they're not going to give Henry some more wives just to keep the series going.  ;)

Pity.  I was looking forward to King Edward.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 14, 2009, 09:04:52 AM
I find grallon's outrage over the portrayal of Cleopatra amusing - as most of our knowledge of her comes from histories written long after her death (and the contemporary source material is mostly propagandistic in nature) - the truth is that we basically have no idea about Cleopatra's personality or sexual habits, or indeed much of anything else beyond a few bare facts concerning events and some archaelogical material.
When you say "we" you are not including Grallon; he claims to know what a Ptolemy would and would not do.  I believe him as much as I believe those who claim to know that "Jesus hates gays."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 14, 2009, 09:26:59 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2009, 09:17:06 AM
Well, according to some, she was Black ... neat trick for an inbred Macedonian. :D

You are assuming that the reported geneologies are an accurate reflection of what really happened.  A highly questionable assumption

(That isn't to say I am supporting the "Black Cleopatra" hypothesis).   :)

It would have been pretty remarkable for someone who *claimed* to be an inbred Macedonian to have *actually* been visibly Black - someone would have, you would think, noticed this discrepancy.  :lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2009, 09:32:48 AM
He's a very interesting character.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2009, 09:27:38 AM
Well those same dudes think Aesop was black too, so I guess they think the ancient Greeks were all black.  :cool:

Which is exactly the claim made in Black Athena which, if we were to pick a starting point, is probably the start of the whole White is Black craze.

Others had made the claims that Ancient Greece owed much to Ancient Egypt (something which is not itself all that surprising) but Bernal went on to make the claims that a) Egyptians were Black (something the ancients didnt seem to care much about but which is a loaded statement in today's world) and b) that these Black Egyptians first settled Greece and gave birth to Greek culture.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2009, 11:07:41 AM

There is a fairly recent book out making the claim that he set the stage for Elizabeth's rule, including creating the framework for religious reform (which had to be put aside from Mary's brief reign.)

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2009, 11:14:32 AM
There is a fairly recent book out making the claim that he set the stage for Elizabeth's rule, including creating the framework for religious reform (which had to be put aside from Mary's brief reign.)

That is hardly a recent claim.  His reign was when the reformation really got rolling in England, Henry VIII was too conservative and held back the reformers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2009, 09:27:38 AM

I've known Greeks who claimed that all Greeks were tall, blond, blue-eyed ... before they were occupied by the Turks.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2009, 11:07:41 AM

Children. :bleeding:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2009, 11:20:47 AM

That is hardly a recent claim.  His reign was when the reformation really got rolling in England, Henry VIII was too conservative and held back the reformers.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2009, 11:20:47 AM

I dont know if the cliam is recent or not. I said there is a recent book that makes the claim.  Since recent books have the advantage of reviewing material that has already been published I thought that might be of interest.

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2009, 11:12:10 AMOthers had made the claims that Ancient Greece owed much to Ancient Egypt (something which is not itself all that surprising) but Bernal went on to make the claims that a) Egyptians were Black (something the ancients didnt seem to care much about but which is a loaded statement in today's world) and b) that these Black Egyptians first settled Greece and gave birth to Greek culture.

The reconstruction of Tut's face, as well as other mummies which have been reasonably authenticated, suggests to me that the ancient Egyptians were... Egyptian.  I know that's a CRAZY, OUT-THERE suggestion to alot of folks, but I think they're just going to have to accept it.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2009, 11:45:05 AM
I dont know if the cliam is recent or not. I said there is a recent book that makes the claim.  Since recent books have the advantage of reviewing material that has already been published I thought that might be of interest.

Like 1421?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2009, 11:45:07 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2009, 11:12:10 AMOthers had made the claims that Ancient Greece owed much to Ancient Egypt (something which is not itself all that surprising) but Bernal went on to make the claims that a) Egyptians were Black (something the ancients didnt seem to care much about but which is a loaded statement in today's world) and b) that these Black Egyptians first settled Greece and gave birth to Greek culture.

The reconstruction of Tut's face, as well as other mummies which have been reasonably authenticated, suggests to me that the ancient Egyptians were... Egyptian.  I know that's a CRAZY, OUT-THERE suggestion to alot of folks, but I think they're just going to have to accept it.  :(

Yep, I dont think Black Athena did much for Bernal's academic career.