News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rome

Started by Sheilbh, April 11, 2009, 07:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on April 13, 2009, 12:18:38 PMI'd love to see some kind of nearly post-apocalyptic film set maybe a few decades after the Fall, with a few thousand people living in the ruins of a city meant for millions.  Never been attempted on film, maybe it is too depressing?

I dunno what exactly the drama would be in that scenario... but yes.

Oh, I know... Mad Max can show up and run everyone over with his Interceptor.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 12:21:45 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 13, 2009, 12:18:38 PMI'd love to see some kind of nearly post-apocalyptic film set maybe a few decades after the Fall, with a few thousand people living in the ruins of a city meant for millions.  Never been attempted on film, maybe it is too depressing?

I dunno what exactly the drama would be in that scenario... but yes.

Oh, I know... Mad Max can show up and run everyone over with his Interceptor.  :cool:
I think the paralells between Sci-Fi post-apoc film and a hypothetical western dark age film.  Reasonably civilized characters (say Christian of mixed Lombard-Roman descent) fighting against utterly barbaric foes (Huns) and now truly alien, decedent civilized peoples (Byzantines).  It is most of the way to Beyond Thunderdome already. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 12:20:31 PM
See what I mean?  Hilarious.

I imagine the footless guys' struggles to escape must have made for great physical comedy.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on April 13, 2009, 12:31:29 PM
I think the paralells between Sci-Fi post-apoc film and a hypothetical western dark age film.  Reasonably civilized characters (say Christian of mixed Lombard-Roman descent) fighting against utterly barbaric foes (Huns) and now truly alien, decedent civilized peoples (Byzantines).  It is most of the way to Beyond Thunderdome already.

What time period are you talking about now?  Didn't the Lombards not invade Italy till the 8th century?  :huh:

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 12:34:44 PM

What time period are you talking about now?  Didn't the Lombards not invade Italy till the 8th century?  :huh:
This is Hollywood we are talking about.  The Huns will all be super-lithe, bisexual Eurasian chicks while the Byzantines will be nine foot tall monsters with giant axes for hands.  I very seriously doubt we will ever see Huns with full body tattoos and ritual scaring anally raping their dying enemies. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on April 13, 2009, 12:37:23 PM
the Byzantines will be nine foot tall monsters with giant axes for hands.

I'm hard now.

saskganesh

"Attilla and Aetius" would make a good movie.

humans were created in their own image

Ed Anger

Quote from: saskganesh on April 13, 2009, 12:51:22 PM
"Attilla and Aetius" would make a good movie.

Powers Boothe already did a fairly serviceable Aetius in that godawful Attila miniseries.

We need more Powers Boothe in movies in general.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 12:10:39 PMGiven the incredible amount of drama that was recorded about the Roman Empire, I just can't understand why they had to make something up.  Were they afraid of being sued by Zombie Suetonius?
Of course Suetonius is hardly history, or truth, or fact :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Grallon on April 13, 2009, 05:54:14 AM
She fucked a ranker legionary...  A Ptolemey smoking opium and getting banged by a common soldier - and not even a macedonian at that !  If you think english aristocrats were/are class conscious - try a queen of Egypt whorshipped by millions like a living godess.  No, that was simply inconceivable !  And inserted there as a crass plot device. 
I take it that you just didn't get it.  It wasn't crass, but rather scheming on Cleopatra's part.  She needed Caesar's kid to save her life, and any kid born at the right time would be Caesar's kid.  She wasn't boffing for the sake of boffing.

Next time, watch the series without closing your eyes, sticking your fingers in your ears, or  humming loudly.  You will miss fewer of the plot points and thus see fewer perceived plot "devices."

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on April 13, 2009, 12:37:23 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 12:34:44 PM

This is Hollywood we are talking about.  The Huns will all be super-lithe, bisexual Eurasian chicks while the Byzantines will be nine foot tall monsters with giant axes for hands.  I very seriously doubt we will ever see Huns with full body tattoos and ritual scaring anally raping their dying enemies.

Heh we got to see the Persians as both in 300:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2009, 01:04:58 PMOf course Suetonius is hardly history, or truth, or fact :lol:

Wrong, it's 100% accurate.  Just like Weekly World News.  I dunno if you know this, but there's a Bat Boy living in West Virginia.  :)

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 01:38:11 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2009, 01:04:58 PMOf course Suetonius is hardly history, or truth, or fact :lol:

Wrong, it's 100% accurate.  Just like Weekly World News.  I dunno if you know this, but there's a Bat Boy living in West Virginia.  :)

Why are people down on Suetonius?

The man did write "The Lives of Famous Prostitutes". He can't be all bad.  :D

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2009, 01:51:28 PM
Why are people down on Suetonius?

The man did write "The Lives of Famous Prostitutes". He can't be all bad.  :D
Oh he's great.  But in terms of history the TV series is probably more accurate :p
Let's bomb Russia!

Grallon

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2009, 01:08:12 PM
...  I take it that you just didn't get it.  It wasn't crass, but rather scheming on Cleopatra's part.  She needed Caesar's kid to save her life, and any kid born at the right time would be Caesar's kid.  She wasn't boffing for the sake of boffing.

Next time, watch the series without closing your eyes, sticking your fingers in your ears, or  humming loudly.  You will miss fewer of the plot points and thus see fewer perceived plot "devices."

One of these days you'll have to explain to us how is it someone so 'vastly intelligent' managed to remain a high school teacher in the middle of nowhere; it should prove entertaining.  ^_^

But since you bleet about it, I'll explain the point to you - again.

We all understood the character was scheming, that's how she was written.  What was crass was the method employed to show us that, as well as the implied motivation of the queen.  The method was having her take the first roman around in order to bind Caesar to her - when in fact it was nothing more than a contrivance to tie in our two nobodies with the greater story.  As for the implied motivation, her so called desperation, not even that would have made a Ptolemey demean herself.  And I'm not even talking about the sheer stupidity of giving her brother the ammunition to brand her as a whore sleeping with a low born foreigner; especially when there were slaves all around to babble about it.

Hopefully you 'got it' this time ?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel