News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rome

Started by Sheilbh, April 11, 2009, 07:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Just watching the first season now (NO SPOILERS!) and I remember lots of people here had issues with it.  So far I'm really enjoying it.  I think they get the fundamental unknowability of Caesar perfectly.  Their portrait of Mark Anthony's also pretty much what I imagined.  I like the young Octavian, hints of the later prig, clearly thinking and ambivalent enough towards violence, as is right.  I also think the depiction of the Roman religion and pleb-life is really interesting and fun.

What did everyone else think, or object to?
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Loved every second of it.  Deadwood without Milch but a more interesting subject. 

The casting was brilliant; Ciarán Hinds and Kevin McKidd were perfect.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Legbiter

Loved almost every aspect of it. Kevin McKidd as a hardnosed centurion pulling out the desiccated genitalia of a German Sueboi warrior and placing it on the kitchen table, while casually remarking on their personal bravery was a very nice touch.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Queequeg

Quote from: Legbiter on April 11, 2009, 08:08:09 PM
Loved almost every aspect of it. Kevin McKidd as a hardnosed centurion pulling out the desiccated genitalia of a German Sueboi warrior and placing it on the kitchen table, while casually remarking on their personal bravery was a very nice touch.
I thought that was some kind of iron German religious phallus? It made a distinct "clank" sound on the wooden table, iirc.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Oh the character I'm least happy with (in terms of how they're being played and the acting) is Brutus <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2009, 07:42:39 PM
(NO SPOILERS!)

Caesar gets stabbed by Brutus and Cassius.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2009, 08:13:15 PM
Oh the character I'm least happy with (in terms of how they're being played and the acting) is Brutus <_<

He's better in the second season; but you're right, I was never really happy with the character Brutus.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Queequeg

Quote from: Savonarola on April 11, 2009, 09:04:41 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2009, 08:13:15 PM

He's better in the second season; but you're right, I was never really happy with the character Brutus.
Actually upon repeated viewing Brutus' character arc is the most interesting in Season 2. 

Phillip V

Brutus was well-played and written. You guys are just uncomfortable because you see yourselves in Brutus. :D

PRC

Season 1 is better than season 2 but overall it's fun to watch.  Brutus does improve in season 2. 

Love the gladiator episode / scene with Pullo, Vorenus, and the Jew.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2009, 07:42:39 PM
I also think the depiction of the Roman religion and pleb-life is really interesting and fun.

Wiki has a pretty good episode guide going, which also explains the historical/social background of each episode and what they got right or wrong:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stolen_Eagle

There's also a chronology:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Rome_(TV_series)
(Not sure if those are the "old" Roman dates or "modern" ones, though; their calendar at the time was several months out of wack with the seasons already, I think)

I stopped watching after a couple episodes, not because I didn't like it, but because I borrowed the box to a colleague for copying. <_<
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: Syt on April 12, 2009, 12:41:29 AM
I stopped watching after a couple episodes, not because I didn't like it, but because I borrowed the box to a colleague for copying. <_<

You mean you loaned it?
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Syt

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 12, 2009, 12:54:16 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 12, 2009, 12:41:29 AM

You mean you loaned it?

Yes, whatever.

I've received it back since then, but have yet to be back in an Ancient Rome mood.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

grumbler

I enjoyed it as well, understanding it to be a drama based on history, but historical per se.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!