News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rome

Started by Sheilbh, April 11, 2009, 07:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: PRC on April 13, 2009, 11:58:40 AMThey are fictional but the names are not.  There were two soldiers with those names mentioned in Caesar's Gallic War commentaries.

Yeah, don't they come from some anecdote about how the one guy saved the other and Caesar commended him for that, or something?  I have a dim recollection about this.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 11:56:24 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2009, 11:54:44 AMHeh, I think the average person will have figured out that Vorinus and Pullo are fictional characters.  :lol:

Incorrect.... when I was doing reenacting a ton of people asked me to tell them more about the 'historical' figure of Maximus. :bleeding:

That's a lot more understandable - the man is portrayed as being a prominent general (and indeed there were plenty of generals named "Maximus"). The liberty taken there is a lot greater.

Pullo & Vorenus are more like Zelig - they are always hanging around important people, but are not portrayed as themselves being particularly important.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: PRC on April 13, 2009, 11:58:40 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2009, 11:54:44 AM

Heh, I think the average person will have figured out that Vorinus and Pullo are fictional characters.  :lol:

They are fictional but the names are not.  There were two soldiers with those names mentioned in Caesar's Gallic War commentaries.

Yup, I'd read that. But their names are all that is real.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Incorrect.... when I was doing reenacting a ton of people asked me to tell them more about the 'historical' figure of Maximus. :bleeding:

Yeah Gladiator is one of the most unfortunate historical epics ever...in that it is entirely fabricated.  I wish they had at least had the decency to have made up the Emperors as well.

Even if you change around the details at least get the basic facts and tone right.  I can forgive what Rome or the Tudors does because they get those correct.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2009, 12:09:02 PMYeah Gladiator is one of the most unfortunate historical epics ever...in that it is entirely fabricated.  I wish they had at least had the decency to have made up the Emperors as well.

Given the incredible amount of drama that was recorded about the Roman Empire, I just can't understand why they had to make something up.  Were they afraid of being sued by Zombie Suetonius?

Valmy

Quote from: vinraith on April 13, 2009, 11:47:35 AM
The Tudors is, for lack of a better word, a bit trashier. It also takes more liberties with the history. Still, the acting's quite good and it's entertaining enough to watch.

The Tudors is good fun.  The best part is is it introduces figures like Charles V and Francis I to my friends who enjoy the series.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 12:10:39 PM
Given the incredible amount of drama that was recorded about the Roman Empire, I just can't understand why they had to make something up.  Were they afraid of being sued by Zombie Suetonius?

Further I just cannot believe you would include a gladiator movie involving the Emperor Commodus and not have one of the most famous Gladiator moments in Imperial History: when Commodus lept into the stands and starting slaughtering the spectators.

Josephus

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 11:50:52 AM
Yeah, for example they'll come away with the impression that Cleopatra had a kid fathered by a random Roman centurion.  :)

She didn't? :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

Quote from: Josephus on April 13, 2009, 12:13:12 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 11:50:52 AM
Yeah, for example they'll come away with the impression that Cleopatra had a kid fathered by a random Roman centurion.  :)

She didn't? :mad:

I dunno... the evil liberals in Hollywood have confused me.  :mad:

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2009, 12:09:02 PM

Yeah Gladiator is one of the most unfortunate historical epics ever...in that it is entirely fabricated.  I wish they had at least had the decency to have made up the Emperors as well.

Indeed, it's very different from Rome in that basically everything in it is fiction, rather than being a fiction based on true events.

It's unfortunate, because the story of how the philosopher-king Marcus Aurelius had as his son and successor someone as horrible as Commodus must surely be interesting ...

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2009, 12:12:31 PMFurther I just cannot believe you would include a gladiator movie involving the Emperor Commodus and not have one of the most famous Gladiator moments in Imperial History: when Commodus lept into the stands and starting slaughtering the spectators.

:lol: Great example.  Hell, the historical Commodus was FAR more interesting than movie Commodus, and the entire movie could have been based on him.... but to be historically accurate someone other than Joaquin Phoenix should have played him.  Back in his heyday, Ahnuld would have been a good choice if he grew a beard.

Caliga

I really would like for someone to make a good historical epic about the fall of Rome to the Germans.  :cool:

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 12:17:22 PM
I really would like for someone to make a good historical epic about the fall of Rome to the Germans.  :cool:
I'd love to see some kind of nearly post-apocalyptic film set maybe a few decades after the Fall, with a few thousand people living in the ruins of a city meant for millions.  Never been attempted on film, maybe it is too depressing?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 12:16:20 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2009, 12:12:31 PMFurther I just cannot believe you would include a gladiator movie involving the Emperor Commodus and not have one of the most famous Gladiator moments in Imperial History: when Commodus lept into the stands and starting slaughtering the spectators.

:lol: Great example.  Hell, the historical Commodus was FAR more interesting than movie Commodus, and the entire movie could have been based on him.... but to be historically accurate someone other than Joaquin Phoenix should have played him.  Back in his heyday, Ahnuld would have been a good choice if he grew a beard.

He seems to have been a trifle ... eccentric.

QuoteCommodus did raise the ire of many military officials in Rome for his Hercules persona in the arena. Often, wounded soldiers and amputees would be placed in the arena for Commodus to slay with a sword. Commodus' eccentric behaviour would not stop there. Citizens of Rome missing their feet through accident or illness were taken to the arena, where they were tethered together for Commodus to club to death while pretending they were giants.

:lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodus

Caliga

See what I mean?  Hilarious.