Main Menu

Rome

Started by Sheilbh, April 11, 2009, 07:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2009, 10:00:21 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 13, 2009, 09:36:04 AM
So how does it compare to Tudors then?

I haven't seen the Tudors, so I'm curious as well.

I liked them about equally.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2009, 11:03:35 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 13, 2009, 10:56:27 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2009, 10:53:09 AM
I'd have preferred the prosthetic make-up. After all, we've invested a lot of viewing time in the character, to have him replaced by another actor who doesn't look anything like him is a bit of a stretch - when all the other actors remain the same.
I thought they looked remarkably similar.  :huh: Maybe my memory is slipping...
I dunno, they look very different to me.

http://www.hbo.com/rome/img/cast/actor/season2/actor_simonwoods.jpg

http://www.hbo.com/rome/img/cast/character/character_octavian.jpg

Edit: one easy way to make them seem more similar would have been to give the second guy the same very distinctive curly blonde hair.

I don't find them so dissimilar, save for the curly vs straight hair.

Malthus

Your coding hurts my brain.  :lol:

I agree that the hair is the most obvious and glaring difference (plus easy enough to change with a wig), but beyond that they do not really resemble each other much to my eyes at least.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2009, 11:18:04 AM
Your coding hurts my brain.  :lol:

I agree that the hair is the most obvious and glaring difference (plus easy enough to change with a wig), but beyond that they do not really resemble each other much to my eyes at least.

Corrected it.  :P I still have to learn the ropes for the new board.  :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on April 13, 2009, 06:41:26 AM
I don't think anyone watches HBO to catch up on history. When producing a show, as others can attest, you have to appeal to as large a number of people as possible. Otherwise you're not going to get a return on your investment.

Um yes they do.  Most people do not read history so where do they get their history from?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I find it hard to believe that any big fans of Rome were not already history buffs to begin with.

"OMG this show is teh gross!  Jennifer Aniston and Sarah Jessica Parker are nowhere to be found!" :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 11:44:54 AM
I find it hard to believe that any big fans of Rome were not already history buffs to begin with.

"OMG this show is teh gross!  Jennifer Aniston and Sarah Jessica Parker are nowhere to be found!" :bleeding:

I know plenty of people who love period movies and shows but otherwise do not have much interest in reading further.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2009, 11:46:04 AM
I know plenty of people who love period movies and shows but otherwise do not have much interest in reading further.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Maybe, but in my experience those types are into Shakesperean and/or Edwardian type shit.

vinraith

Quote from: Martinus on April 13, 2009, 09:36:04 AM
So how does it compare to Tudors then?

The Tudors is, for lack of a better word, a bit trashier. It also takes more liberties with the history. Still, the acting's quite good and it's entertaining enough to watch.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2009, 11:43:18 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 13, 2009, 06:41:26 AM
I don't think anyone watches HBO to catch up on history. When producing a show, as others can attest, you have to appeal to as large a number of people as possible. Otherwise you're not going to get a return on your investment.

Um yes they do.  Most people do not read history so where do they get their history from?

I wouldn't be totally horrified if the average person learned about Roman history from Rome. It certainly isn't totally accurate but its themes are not inaccurate.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Yeah, for example they'll come away with the impression that Cleopatra had a kid fathered by a random Roman centurion.  :)

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 11:50:52 AM
Yeah, for example they'll come away with the impression that Cleopatra had a kid fathered by a random Roman centurion.  :)

Heh, I think the average person will have figured out that Vorinus and Pullo are fictional characters.  :lol:

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2009, 11:54:44 AMHeh, I think the average person will have figured out that Vorinus and Pullo are fictional characters.  :lol:

Incorrect.... when I was doing reenacting a ton of people asked me to tell them more about the 'historical' figure of Maximus. :bleeding:

PRC

Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2009, 11:54:44 AM

Heh, I think the average person will have figured out that Vorinus and Pullo are fictional characters.  :lol:

They are fictional but the names are not.  There were two soldiers with those names mentioned in Caesar's Gallic War commentaries.